Votes: 7 13.7%
  • 751 to 1000

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • 1001 to 2000

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • 2000+

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
I played in the ohio state championship in '98 and finished 2nd for the unrated category...rating was only like 1100-1200 (don't remember exactly, was over 1000 though) though and I haven't played in a tournament since then heh...

I love playing chess but it usually gives me migraine headaches by the time the game is done :(

Originally posted by Zer0xChan
I love playing chess but it usually gives me migraine headaches by the time the game is done :(

try to breath more often :)

no joke, when playing blitz on the internet I often caught myself holding my breath in very tense situations with only few seconds left.

Originally posted by Zer0xChan

Headaches... Used to have them all the time after chess

Strange, I don't get headaches when I play, but sometimes I get an upset stomach.

Which rating do you want? :)

I am 1998 USCF Over The Board
I am a Life Candidate Master in US Correspondence Chess
I am 2200 ICCF (International Correspondence Chess Federation)

FIDE ratings and USCF ratings use the same basic format (Arpad Elo's system), but I MUCH fear a 2200 FIDE over a 2200 USCF! FIDE ratings are tougher due to the rating pool, in general.

And, yes, the rating difference between 1000 and 2000 is WAY too huge.... why not break it down by class (i.e. 200 points per class)? My first rating was 1276 when I was 12..... 1353 after my second tournament (when I was 13), etc. The difference between 1600 and 2000 is the same as 2000 to master (senior master?). The difference between 1000 to 2000 is the same as 2000 to Kasparov.... :p

And I, for one, am DEFINITELY not a Kasparov.... :rolleyes:

-- From The Cellar :smoke:

Originally posted by sims2789
What is your rating? Mine is at 971
i'm not a nerd even though i play chess. How many nerds play defensive line in football?

hehehehe..... btw, I played Right Defensive End and Center.... but I was STILL probably a nerd in High School..... :crazyeye:

-- From The Cellar :smoke:

P.S. What's wrong with being a nerd, anyway? Better than getting STD's.... :eek: Plus, women like intellectuals (REAL women, that is) better than "jocks" anyway... :goodjob:

Originally posted by sims2789
What is your rating? Mine is at 971
i'm not a nerd even though i play chess. How many nerds play defensive line in football?

This one does. I rate at 1450, approximately.

Haven't played in competition for quite some time so the rating is certainly questionable. I gather there is a currency condition for the rating these days.

My FIDE is 2360.
I'm a FIDE Master (one step below International Master)

Didn't US ratings suffer inflation about a decade ago when they (unwisely) introduced an increase in your rating if you played more games?

Yes and the reason they did it was to get more Americans with titles.

It worked :D :lol:

I'm 1756 USCF. 1000 -- 2000 is too broad. This is almost everyone who is a tournament player. Those of you who are above 2000 deserve a special place!

Tournament players tend to have over 2200 (FIDE rating).
Below that you'll find the club players.

If things have not changed, a performance of 2350 is FM (FIDE Master) level, 2450 is IM (International Master) level and 2550 is IGM (International Grandmaster) level.

There are a lot of IGM's today, partly due to inflation of the FIDE ratings.

From the difference in points, you can derive your expected score against your opponent(s). If you have 200 points more you're expected to score about 75%.

I used to play at about 2250 ELO / 205 BCF but havent been playing at that level foe a loooong time.

SanPellegrino said:
I played chess.net with an average about 1800-1900. I played in a club in my childhood (ELO 1890 best) but I am not skilled in opening theory anymore, which is very bad in blitz games vs strong players.
I play there too. The problem playing chess over the net these days is that you never know if you play a human or his computer :rolleyes:
Chess.net has limit this a bit: When you click outside the chessnet window, your opponent wil be warned. Still you can use a second PC for a chess program. For the same reason correspondence chess has decreased dramaticly.
My rating? It was over 2000 in my best time (also played in Hoogoven Chess tournament, only a few meters away from Karpov and Kasparov :cool: )
Nowadays I have no idea and my only measurement is the rating of chessnet:

Attachments

• chessnet.JPG
    chessnet.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 144
I was wondering if there was a way to hire a chess teacher? Did you do that? Say, to help you analyse positions and to teach you techniques, like evaluating positions (the relative value of knights vs bishops, etc)?

I play only on yahoo because I know none else that is free =)

I have absolutely no idea in how much does cost such teacher :p
I know when we were at school there used to be ''chess club'' but there weren't any programs or courses. I'm thinking of something very structured where the teacher has a clear plan in mind (like passing exams).

I was chessteacher for youthplayers in my club. I got a package from the Dutch Chess Assosiation with all kind of learning-material. Having said that, it is very difficult to improve chess by internet.
I can provide you with some book-titles, maybe that helps.
Dvoretsky wrote a serie of books under the name "School of Chess Exellence" and are very good books to improve your chess.
A real classic is the work of Nimzovich. In English it is publiced under the name "My system" and part two "Chess practice", the latter mostly games, played with his system.
Last but not least is the work of Kotov "Play like a grandmaster" and "Think like a grandmaster".
I learned most from Nimzovitch's and Kotovs books. Dvoretsky's books are newer books and publiced too late for me ;)
I hope this helps you a bit...

Thanks :) I found a book written by some Fritz and I enjoyed rerererereading it time after time ;) but now I guess I'd need another one.

Are these books translated? Do you think I could find them in French (since it would not be the original nor english version) ?

Top Bottom