• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Pompous Civ4 Game

Manco Capac

Friday,13 June,I Collapse
Hi guys,
this is a little game (that may fare not, but heck why not try it) about being condescending jerks in the matter of Civ4.

The situation: We're all super nerds in matter of Civ4 and we want to make assertions/statements about civ4 in a pompous (or perhaps abstruse) manner in a way to make it so serious/intelligent to a non civ4 fan.

Can be about anything about Civ4: leaders, history, mechanics, situation, strategy, etc.

Let's all be supercilious and learn new words/expressions/idioms.

1) Belfries are colossal scaffoldings elevating towards the skies used in ancient warfare to aid the brave soldiers to fend off the numerous lethal arrows of those defensive belligerants behind immense walls. In fact, not only it protected from arrows, but allowed pervasive intrusion of invaders within the walls. All melee units in this game called Cilivilization IV have these sidekicks during their incursions.

A Dissertation on the Merits and Flaws of the Concept of Slavery

prepared by

The Right Honourable The Mulatto Maker, PhD, Historical Studies

While today "slavery" conjures images of poor downtrodden Africans being sailed across the Atlantic in horribly cramped, filthy conditions, and then being forced to work inhumanely with no recompense, this is in fact only in comparison to the modern era. We live in a time that could not be visualized without the lens of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation; however, the abolition of slavery represents only about the most recent 2% of human history. The earlier eras, while indeed "nasty, brutish, and short," must be given consideration as worthy in their own right.

Thus, the 5850 (approx.) years of human civilization that did experience slavery must count for something. Humanity survived, after all; we must've been doing something right. But how does one define those years? As simply "pre-Emancipation"? Can all of humanity's existence be easily lumped into "slavery" and "not-slavery"? Now, logic dictates that either a) slavery was allowed, or b) slavery was not allowed; but can it be that simple to break down? Were there perhaps many distinct levels of slavery, or possibly different systems altogether? For instance, the notable Caste system of the Indian subcontinent cannot be classified as slavery, and obviously cannot be classified as emancipation. The serf-like status of peasants in Europe's High Middle Ages were not slaves, but they were certainly not free. Moreover, if emancipation occurred in the United States in 1863, when did slavery "occur"? Did we understand the concept from our first consciousness, or was it a learned, acquired behavior?

These are the questions that we must face. The idea of slavery dirties the modern mind; but history has shown that nearly every one of the "Wonders of the World" was built on the backs of a subjugated populace. Every recorded instance of a smithy, grain storage area, lighthouse, or court building being erected- in any city anywhere in the world- prior to c. 1600 CE can be conclusively linked to the slaves. Not necessarily foreign slaves, mind you, many were simply local citizens bred over centuries expressly for the purpose of dying to aid the cause of civilization.

One must also question the motives and mindsets of the great abolitionists of the 18th and 19th centuries. It is commonly accepted that the so-called "enlightened despots" of Renaissance Europe would have been rather unelightened despots had they been born three millenia earlier. The great champions of free speech would have thought otherwise, were they in command in 780 CE rather than 1780 CE. That would leave us with the idea that Wilberforce and de las Casas, among others, would likely have owned slaves of their own if they lived in, say, Athens or Rome.

I leave it to the reader to determine in his or her own mind to justify or condemn the actions of our ancestors. But please, do not look at this question with 21st-century eyes. "Slavery", though horrid today, was nothing less than the engine that allowed the creation of our world.

Spoiler :
...I felt kinda dirty writing that... :blush:

Spoiler :
...I felt kinda dirty writing that... :blush:

Yet there is unfortunately a great deal of truth to that - plus the little point about slavery still existing in parts of the world to this very day. Slavery also existed in Africa prior to the whites coming there, which is one reason why it was so easy to take advantage of Africans like that. Utterly horrible practice though, and I'm glad at least this part of white domination has been largely ended.

Tachy, I had to look up supercilious, so that is one new word today ;)

I don't have much to add though. I'm reading enough academic articles as it is, and I'm not too keen on writing that gibberish here too :lol:
Spoiler :

The brain-dead behavior of worker units is an accurate simulation of the nature of civil servants everywhere, especially in your country.

Practised in real life:

You know a game of Civilization is like a game of GO ; it is very organic in its nature.

However, a fundamental difference between the two games is that the possible plays each turn is decreasing in the case of go (361>360>...>0) whereas it is increasing (exponentially) in the case of Civilization.

The number of possible games for Go is in the vicinity of 360! (factorial 360), which is incommensurable. The number of possible games for a given Civ 4 map is certainly much larger.

Top Bottom