1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor interface

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by anatoliy, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

Seems they chose the lighter color as the main color for every Civ? I had Russia, Scythia, England and Japan all to the East of me, and it looked like one giant blob on the mini-map,

2. n00buk

n00buk Chieftain

Located in another thread this link http://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/340412122407085484/?tscn=1476998986
    I took a further look in this and other files and found this. Some of them have comments, others don't. I haven't checked yet, but will try today.
    "MiniMapZoom 0" presumably changing to 1 will allow to zoom mini map?
    "AllPathsOn 0" presumably changing to 1 will show paths for all units? Helpful to see where you sent your unit some time ago and forgot.

In file "GraphicsOptions.txt"
    "UIUpscale 0" - Set to 1 upscale UI on high resolution displays
    "AllowSWRenderer 0" Set to 1 to allow the use of software renderers such as Microsoft's WARP. Not sure what that does, but probably can influence perfomance?
    Also several log options, including:
    "EnableDebugMenu 0" Enable Debug menu
    "EnableDebugPlotInfo 0" Enable Debug information in the plot info tooltips.
    "EnableBugCollection 0" Enable Automatic Bug Collection.
    "EnableGameCoreEventLog 0" Log all game core events.

3. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Oh man, do I agree with that. The mini-map is practically unreadable. The only thing I really use it for is to fast move to one of my cities.

4. GT_OKEZ

GT_OKEZ Warlord

How do increase or decrease the size of my UI?

5. n00buk

n00buk Chieftain

Setting AutoUnitCycle to 0 actually works. No more auto-cycle! :thumbsup:
    MiniMapZoom and AllPathsOn didn't do anything.
    UIUpscale didn't save for some reason. Will check again tomorrow.

6. Old Git

Old Git Chieftain

I took a degree course in computing, and spent 30 years developing commercial IT systems.

The one thing hammered home from day 1 to day 10,958 was: "if the UI is wrong the user won't use it".

Don't gaming programmers live in the real world? I won't buy it till it's fixed. And I've been an exclusive Civ addict since Civ 1.

Krajzen and Jeckel like this.
  7. Mrdarklight

Mrdarklight Warlord

Hmm. I'm not experiencing any of those problems, and I'm playing at HD resolution. My edge scroll doesn't work, but I assume that's because I'm in windowed mode. Other than that, I figured out the interface very quickly.

8. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

The UI really is terrible. So far, I'm liking the new concepts in the game but the UI is annoying me. These have been mentioned multiple times by many other people. My list of complaints include:
    -Edge-scrolling is broken
    -Lack of mouse over info on just about everything. Buildings in the city panels, wonders and districts on the map, etc. Tiles have mouse over info but it takes way too long to appear.
    -Buttons don't have keyboard shortcuts highlighted. For example, it would be nice if Fortify has the "F" in a different color or an (F) at the end of the name.
    -Culture tab is missing. I can't tell when my city's border is about to expand and where the next tile is likely to be.
    -Religion tab is frequently showing the incorrect number of believers.
    -No military tab showing where my units are
    -No diplomacy tab showing what stuff other civs have to trade (It's annoying to have to go through leaders one by one) and what deals we have ongoing
    -No list of all the luxury resources I have, including the ones I've traded for, and where they are going

Some of these might actually exist in the game but are so hidden I haven't found any yet.

9. Japper007

Japper007 Prince

I'm mostly upset at the general lack of information that is available through the UI, civilopedia or pop-ups. This is why things like how exactly amenities work are still popping up in discussion all the time. You don't have to display all the formulas all the time, but we should at least be able to FIND OUT what they are!

obvious missing information:

When is my city going to grab it's next tile, and which one? Who knows! Might be grabbing the tile you'd want to buy next turn, or it might grow to desert in 20! It's a surprise!

Will this Campus adjacency bonus card be be inferior to my science from buildings card? Why dont you slot it in and take the gamble? And then PAY for the privilige of switching it back again!

How many hammers will placing this District on this forest, without clearing it first, cost me? I can't tell you. Why don't you march a builder there to find out!?

10. jptrrs

jptrrs Chieftain

Boy, that's really a lot of problems when you sum it up!! I couldn't agree more!

11. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Does anyone here have the same problem in the later game when those trivial messages pop up on the right bar. The bar gets so long it covers the entire right side (bottom to top). Now, that would be fine as it is just a thin bar. However, when I then try and use the mouse wheel to zoom the map, it moves that bar instead. And I have a hard time getting the mouse wheel zoom to work again. Shoddy UI.

12. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

I get annoyed with the update notifications that pop up in the center-top of the screen. Some of them are worth it, most aren't, but they are all thrown right at you more than actually useful UI elements are.

13. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Yes, that too. Any way to disable them? Or make those windows tinier?

14. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

My problem with that bar is that Scythia conquered Jerusalem very early on in the game. Also, Japan built Stonehenge. Those two messages stayed there for the entire game. I actually found some of those messages useful because it told me if a deal ended and needs to renewed or if some AI broke a promise made to me. But those two messages just annoyed me.