Possible luxuries strat

Jurimax

Duke of Flanders
Hi all,

today on Poly I was reading a post about the value of luxuries in a trade by nbarclay:The Power of multi-stage Deals

You sell to AI

AI has 1 luxury. You want to sell them another two.
If you sell them in one trading session, the AI will value both luxuries as creating 1 happy citizen per city. Allthough the second luxury provides them with +2 happy faces in cities with marketplaces. So you should sell them separately (in different trading sessions)

Buy luxuries from AI

If you (the human player) buys luxuries from an AI, try to buy them all in one turn.

My POSSIBLE strategy

If you buy luxuries from an AI when you already have some luxuries, the AI will want to make tons of money because those luxuries will create much more happy faces (in cities with marketplace). So I started thinking "What if the AI doesn't know we have luxuries?"

How to accomplish this?

(NOTE: Will only work when luxury has no city on it.)
When it's your turn, before going in the negotiations, move some workers on ALL the same luxuries. Pillage with no matter what unit. Do the trade and after that rebuild your road.

I don't know if this works, and maybe in a few days I'll edit this post. (Installed 1.22 and lack of time prevents me from playing a lot)

Greetz Jurimax

I don't know... Sounds exploitive to me. If it works it would still be kinda hard to pull off sometimes.

I'll try it

Thanks in advance Alex. Please keep us informed.
I'll give it a go tomorrow;

Greetz Jurimax

:band: [dance] [dance] [dance]

300 posts [party]

In hindsight, this strategy could be viewed as an exploit if it works.

PS still haven't gotten around to testing it in game.

Greetz Jurimax

What about luxuries from colonies or luxuries that are on the city squares? Pillage all roads leading thereto?

You do realise that after 20 turns of this strategy that the AI wil demand a HUGE amount of gold to keep the deal going if you don't pillage all your colonies/roads?

How do you mean? Just before you renegotiate the deal, you play the same trick. IMO the AI looks at the moment of the trade and the number of happy people the luxuries might provide, not at the happiness of the last 20 turns.

But hey, I still have to try it to be sure, so I will get back to you.

Greetz Jurimax

I would have never thought of that! I don't think I would use something like that, though.

Top Bottom