Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

This is more derailing but I really enjoy your writeups. You should do more of them, they're fun to read. PLUS I get to see some very interesting new strategies - I've never quite dabbled with the idea of an espionage economy, and have no idea how it works, so to see an entirely different approach to this map than what Lain did or what I would've done (breakout with cannons, maybe elepault attack if I felt lucky, gotta bulb astro either way) is downright fascinating.

Thanks! :D
I've gotten a bit sidetracked, but I'll finish my game write up in the future.
Right now I'm trying to write an Espionage Guide so that people will understand how it works once and for all.

Lain played the Willem map too?
I'll watch it after my game is over.

@Lain Good luck with the Mansa map :). As for what happened with the Churchill and Julius maps, if post-commentary doesn't work out perhaps adding subtitles will work better instead?

Incidentally, Fun Fact: I was trying to roll a Huayna Capac map that, leader aside, could be considered "hard"...and I got one that seemed promising! End result?
Spoiler :
Combat odds to kill the first Archer was ~22%. The one who came running to try and reinforce got killed in the open at like >95%. I mean, sure, I clearly got lucky there...but come on! I wasn't even trying! :lol:
So...as a chance of pace, how about an Unrestricted Leaders game? You know, just curious :mischief:.

@Lain Around 11:30 in your Mansa part 1 you are researching fishing and you've met Shaka who obviously has the tech, since you see the clams are netted. However, you do not gain any bonus:science: since the bonus for "1AI knows the tech" is only 4%, thus you'd need to make at least 24:science: (+1 free:science: that you get no matter what) in order to gain a :science:. So you are making 10:science: as shown on the top corner plus the free "hidden":science:, so 11:science: towards fishing every turn.

Details on how it works: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/hidden-research-bonuses.631078/#post-15097266

And after a great amount of reloads, new map :). The start for Suleiman of the Ottoman Empire:
Spoiler :
map details:
Spoiler :
Continents, Tropical climate, high sea level, NHNE, all else default
Isolated?
Spoiler :
Fully isolated.
Why it's worth playing? Well...look around a bit. Or a lot. You'll see. :mischief:

Attachments

• Suleiman Map I Autosave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37.9 KB · Views: 133
And after a great amount of reloads, new map :). The start for Suleiman of the Ottoman Empire:
Spoiler :
map details:
Spoiler :
Continents, Tropical climate, high sea level, NHNE, all else default
Isolated?
Spoiler :
Fully isolated.
Why it's worth playing? Well...look around a bit. Or a lot. You'll see. :mischief:

Spoiler :

You mean it's worth playing because it's a pretty laid-back iso, right? Plenty of forest, almost all green, not a single jungle, space for at least 10 cities, nice resources (BAAAAA), OK commerce is not the best but who can complain, you can have a sheep-based economy to start (they do give +1c when pastured). The only thing that's potentially really worrying is barbs and happiness. But we are phi, so have ridiculous levels of bulbing that'll let us reach astro in no time.

Spoiler :
I wouldn't say "laid-back"...but pretty much, yes. To be perfectly honest this wasn't the "hardest" Suleiman map I rolled, but it was the one that provided the most challenge without being Mansa Musa's Cruddy Start II: Electric Boogaloo. Yeah, the other Iso maps were even more delicious than this one :sad:. Like, Gold+double Floodplain city, another Gold city, nearby Stone for easy failgold (possibly Mids, even), and to add insult to injury, a pair of unoccupied islands out in the darkness to take the barb pressure off of you early game. On this map you'll need to decide whether to detour to Monarchy or build Hammams if you want any sort of happy, and the barbs (that will actually spawn on your island this time :rolleyes:) can threaten from multiple angles.

Still, not my best work in terms of difficulty. I'll see if I can...correct that :mwaha:.

Hammams work well with 2 (or more) Calendar resis?
Getting maths + calendar instead of Monarchy + Reli techs would be good imo, if we can get +4 combined happy from that.

If there are no calendar resis, +2 might not be enuf thou and Monarchy wins?
Basically thinking that just maths would be inferior to Mona, but if Calendar can be added..would make you less dependant on trades later,
and while both techs cost more than Mona combined there would be no HR unit costs.

All speculation thou, no idea if there are such resis.

Alright, the new map is ready. The hard start for Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire:
Spoiler :
Map details:
Spoiler :
Fractal, Rocky Climate, NHNE, all else default.
Isolated?
Spoiler :
Not Isolated.
Why it's worth playing? Bit of a rough start, I guess.

Attachments

• Charlemagne Map II Autosave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    39.7 KB · Views: 190
Alright, the new map is ready. The hard start for Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire:
Spoiler :
Map details:
Spoiler :
Fractal, Rocky Climate, NHNE, all else default.
Isolated?
Spoiler :
Not Isolated.
Why it's worth playing? Bit of a rough start, I guess.

I guess the metric for "masochistic deity" is no longer iso, but stupidly-shaped peninsulas that are 1 tile wide and like 10 tiles long that the player starts at the end of? :lol:

I don't think this Sulieman map is something out of the ordinary tbh.
Spoiler Sulieman map :
AH->mining->bw, chopped 5 cities, built libraries, settled the first scientist, a few more citie, built alot of cottages around the capital. Not much more.
Hammans for some happines, then straight to astro, had 3 GSci ready and got astro at T141. I could probably have gone for an academy first as well.
Met the others and nothing crazy was going on. Probably even possible to win lib. Plenty of possibilities and likely many different VCs are within reach.
I'm not the best player, but this map seems like a cakewalk compared to most other maps here. :)

I guess the metric for "masochistic deity" is no longer iso, but stupidly-shaped peninsulas that are 1 tile wide and like 10 tiles long that the player starts at the end of? :lol:
I rolled plenty of maps, but sadly, in terms of difficulty this is the best I got :undecide:. I actually had an iso map that I really wanted to use instead of this Mansa Musa's Cruddy Start II: Electric Boogaloo map, the food situation on that island bordered on a war crime, but...4 Gold and 2 Silver tiles on that island :sad:. Nothing can salvage the difficulty of an iso map when you've got that much commerce lying around, so...goodbye work of art food situation :cry:.

New map! And this time I promise it's not completely stupid. The start for Sitting Bull of Native America:
Spoiler :
Map details:
Spoiler :
Pangaea, High sea level, Cold climate, NHNE, all else default.

Why it's worth playing? Well, to be perfectly honest this isn't a hard hard map, give it about...say 11 turns? Thereabouts. But hey, it should be a fun map :thumbsup:.

Hopefully :undecide:.

Attachments

• Sitting Bull Map I Autosave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    32.2 KB · Views: 126
@Lain I must admit, after watching your last several starts, it becomes hard to watch. All deserts, peninsular starts, I know you pull it off in the end, but man... these guys just love to throw you curveballs ;)
I don't know if this has been asked, but would there be a chance for you to play on deity, but not on a hard map, but rather with emphasis on fastest win date possible? I know it's not a new concept, but youtube is lacking severely in this regard.

@Lain I must admit, after watching your last several starts, it becomes hard to watch. All deserts, peninsular starts, I know you pull it off in the end, but man... these guys just love to throw you curveballs ;)
I don't know if this has been asked, but would there be a chance for you to play on deity, but not on a hard map, but rather with emphasis on fastest win date possible? I know it's not a new concept, but youtube is lacking severely in this regard.

Try the Joao game for good land at least.

I'll put up a map vote soon (few days max, a bit busy right now) and try to offer some variety there. No tech trade, events, maps from here, maybe a random map.

Just can't bring myself to play K-Mod at the moment, so not sure about that one. Something more "relaxing" before Christmas etc seems nice :).

Thanks for all the comments and maps!

After the current game I'm hoping for something harder. :lol:

Pericles, fractal, BUFFY. It's hard, but not hopeless.

Initial screenshot
Spoiler :
Resource bubbles are on, just nothing visible. :)

Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    46 KB · Views: 185
Top Bottom