Post opening screenshot a few days early?

WillowBrook

Lurker
So, I seem to recall with the Civ III GOTMs that I played over ten years ago that the starting location screenshot was posted about 5 days before the game was released. (Didn't play IV or V, don't know the convention there.)

This allowed several days of speculation, fog-gazing (is that a cow on that tile under the fog?), brainstorming about opening moves, complaining about the lack of resources, outlining grand plans, answering newbie questions, etc, before anyone had access to the game.

Is it possible to do the same thing with the Civ VI GOTM? I understand this would require more work and advance planning from our dedicated staff (thanks, guys! :wavey:)so I understand if not. But I thought I'd throw it out there.

That is the normal sequence for all GOTMs. The game designer uploads the start file to the GOTM server, defines a release date when the game will begin, and publishes the pre-game announcement with a starting screenshot and a download link to the start file. The server manages access to the start file so that no one can download it until the release date. This all works for Civ3, 4 and 5.

The problem for 6otm is my fault. I haven't yet provided the server scripts that are required to make all the above happen. I'm hoping to do it over the holiday period, once my pre-Christmas panic dies down a bit!

That is the normal sequence for all GOTMs. The game designer uploads the start file to the GOTM server, defines a release date when the game will begin, and publishes the pre-game announcement with a starting screenshot and a download link to the start file. The server manages access to the start file so that no one can download it until the release date. This all works for Civ3, 4 and 5.

The problem for 6otm is my fault. I haven't yet provided the server scripts that are required to make all the above happen. I'm hoping to do it over the holiday period, once my pre-Christmas panic dies down a bit!
Sounds great, thanks for all your work, Alan!

You do an immense amount for the site and the other GOTMs, we can certainly wait for the work to be done. The primary problem with posting in the current method is the dificulty of finding a start that will represent a challenge and or be fun to play. In IV and V there are tools to easily mod a map to make it harder or easier as needed. Now I have to play the save out to usually 50 turns to see how its playing. I think I went thru 8 games for 6otM3 I literally decided on the 1st which one i was going to use. Ive started work on 6otM5, so i hopefully will have a pic up before the first.

Top Bottom