[UNIT] PPQ unit art and questions thread

Does anyone know how to make units with TCiv4MechNonShader work with alpha fading? Or is that just another shader that does not work with alpha?

Basically I am trying to create a model that has damage textures but also an alpha controller for fading and NO teamcolor. But I can't get it to work.

Last edited:
I'm 99% sure alpha fade works with the mechnonshader. You might look in the diefade kf, and see what it is telling to fade. A lot of times it will tell some accessorie to fade, and everything that shares its material also fades. If you removed that "thing", or nothing shares its material nothing happens.

Or could be the trishape has a different name than what the kf is expecting. I've also seen some units like the pikeman, or Charlemagne units don't have working alpha fade out of the box.

Basically the problem I have is as follows. Starting from Modern Armor (because that's the animation set I want to use):
1. Standard unit does not respond to alpha fading AT ALL but has a functioning damage texture.
2. Disabling the shader makes it respond to alpha but it also rapes the whole texture setup. I get teamcolor bleeding through and painting the entire unit.
3. If I disable the shader AND remove the damage texture thus reducing it to a simple base texture and nothing else (no damage map) than alpha works fine and the unit looks fine. But I don't have damage textures.

This is all using the same KF file.

Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle. It looks like you are right Purple. I booted up my computer this morning and immediately started testing shaders on the modern armor. It looks like alpha fade doesn't work with the mechnonshader. Also tested the Panzer with the same results.
So, assuming that is the case. Which I am 99% sure. ;) Looks like you will have to add a skin partition, and use the TCiv4MechShader.

Thanks. That worked. Now I just need to finish up the rest of my little animation... :snowlaugh:

Just in case you were wondering what the hell I was talking about with texture animations and alpha here is a little prototype I've been working on.
capture_4.gif

It's a stealth tank with a custom animated texture and alpha scaling to make it fade in and out. It looks much better when it's not in 20 FPS obviously.

:eek: Wow! I didn't know it was possible. Wow again!
Is that also some Nod project?
It's the effect I intend to apply to the NOD stealth tank. I just wanted to test out if I could make the effect before I went and made the entire stealth tank model.

Basically my intent is for the Tick to be their tank and the Stealth Tank to be their Modern Armor.

Just in case you were interested.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
Alpha stage prototype.

Looks like a RC car I had that could drive upside down. This must be just the chassis. Without the treads.

Looks like a RC car I had that could drive upside down. This must be just the chassis. Without the treads.
There are no threads. According to the cutscene renders the Stealth "Tank" is actually a wheeled vehicle. Which makes sense since tracks are loud and leave distinct tracks which would make the "stealth" factor of the vehicle somewhat problematic. Really the thing is not really a tank in terms of design characteristics but in terms of combat use.

Really the thing is not really a tank in terms of design characteristics but in terms of combat use.
Yeah, doesn't look like a "Tank". Also, it occurred to me that having armor wouldn't even be needed with stealth tech.

Yeah, doesn't look like a "Tank". Also, it occurred to me that having armor wouldn't even be needed with stealth tech.
Yea, it's just one of those things that make the command and conquer universe both ultra cool and confusing at times. And why I love it.

And this is how it looks in action. Well, sort of. I still have to finish up some texture highlights and stuff to really make it pop. But consider this one a 0.9 version.
Spoiler Idle :
stealth.gif

Spoiler Cloaking :
cloak.gif

Spoiler Combat :
combat.gif

Just in case you were wondering what the hell I was talking about with texture animations and alpha here is a little prototype I've been working on.
View attachment 590626

It's a stealth tank with a custom animated texture and alpha scaling to make it fade in and out. It looks much better when it's not in 20 FPS obviously.

wow! that’s amazing

Top Bottom