[UNIT] PPQ unit art and questions thread

PPQ_Purple

Purple Cube
I figure this is the right place to ask. TLDR I have this model which is basically the cleric from FFH but with an extra set of shoulder pads and medallion (all one mesh) added to it. The model it self and the shoulder pads render fine, but the medallion and straps which are part of the same mesh as the shoulder pads instead render pitch black in game. The model it self, medallion included looks perfectly fine in nifscope so I am at a loss.

If anyone can try and figure out how to fix this I would be grateful.

PS. The model uses spearman animations.

Attachments

• high priest.7z
    336.8 KB · Views: 253
Deleting the 'NiVertexColorProperty' of the mesh seems to fix this. Have not seen that Node used in a Civ4 unit before, so I guess it is not necessary anyway.

Thanks a million. I would newer have figured that one out. And believe me I tried. You really are a life saver.

No worries. One thing I learnt for sure is to be always suspicious of out-of-place nodes.

Last edited:
And not 24h later similar model, similar problem. This time I added a bit of decorations on him again and the model looks fine in 3d max and nifscope but when I load it up in the game the red scarf thing I added is all messed up which to me indicates a skin problem. Thing is, I tested the animation and skinning in both nifscope AND 3d max and they work fine in there. Maybe you can take a look.

PS. You or anyone else that helps is going to be credited in my models.

Attachments

• high priest.7z
    108.7 KB · Views: 221
Removing the 'NiSkinPartition' from the 'NiSkinInstance' of the mesh seems to fix the problem. NiSkinPartitions are normally only needed for shadered units.

I did not know that. Also, that's very odd since like 3d max keeps generating it for all units and this is the first time I've had any issues with it. I'll just keep that option turned off for my next model. Thanks!

Time to revive this thread as I have a new question. Look at this model of mine. It uses the frigate animations and with them works just fine except one single thing. When damaged in battle the model properly displays its damage texture. But as soon as combat ends that texture goes away in favor of the undamaged look. Any ideas why?

Attachments

• MANOWAR.7z
    292.5 KB · Views: 163
Time to revive this thread as I have a new question. Look at this model of mine. It uses the frigate animations and with them works just fine except one single thing. When damaged in battle the model properly displays its damage texture. But as soon as combat ends that texture goes away in favor of the undamaged look. Any ideas why?

Works for me. :crazyeye: :goodjob:

That is very odd. It could be due to my module than. But I can't reasonably debug that now.

I am having troubles getting units with the flag shader (TFlagGloss) to work with animations that use alpha based fadeout. As in taking a look at this nif, everything fades out except for the flag colored cloth. If anyone could help me figure it out I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• warchariot.zip
    687.8 KB · Views: 98
I am having troubles getting units with the flag shader (TFlagGloss) to work with animations that use alpha based fadeout. As in taking a look at this nif, everything fades out except for the flag colored cloth. If anyone could help me figure it out I'd appreciate it.
Seems to be a general problem with the TFlagGloss, since the Charlemagne units from Beyond the Sword suffer the same fate and I could not find any other 'vanilla' unit where the TFlagGloss is used. Maybe just make it so that nothing fades out?

Alternatively there might be one or two things that could be done by modifying the animation files. But I am not sure it is worth having a custom animation set to solve this problem.

Ok thanks. I guess my only option is to shut down the vanishing altogether. To that effect I've gone and made a custom tweak to the animation set so as to remove the kfs entirely. Not ideal but what can you do.

And another one for the someone help me pile. I just finished making this tank model (textures not included). And it loads fine into the game. But even though I can watch the animations just fine in nifscope in game it does not animate. And hitting CTRL-U to preview animations crashes the game. What am i doing wrong?

PS. It's not the missing skin partition. I tried both versions with and without it and the result does not change.

Attachments

• ANIMATIONS.7z
    44.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Seems to be working fine for me, just used the vanilla "modernarmor.kfm", since there was no kfm in the download, and this xml code:
Code:
           <NIF>Art/Units/NewModernArmor/ModernArmor.nif</NIF>
           <KFM>Art/Units/NewModernArmor/ModernArmor.kfm</KFM>
           <SHADERNIF>Art/Units/NewModernArmor/ModernArmor.nif</SHADERNIF>
Idle and combat animation at least work and no crashes.

Ok. I am an idiot. The reason why it was happening is that I made custom .kf animations and than forgot to actually paste the KFM into the units folder when loading it.

Thanks for saving me yet again.

Top Bottom