1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Chandrasekhar, Dec 16, 2007.

1. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Moved to while we wait.

What is the basic history going to be from 2052?

2. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

That will be revealed upon the posting of Update 0. ;)

3. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

OOC: Could Australia build its first fission reactor in 2045,Second in 2049 with two more to be built in 2055 and 2057 respectively. As in under construction right now. Can I have developed Hydroponic Farms of such a scale that they contain their own ecosystem and can feed a 1000 more people then the same square footage of regular farms based around genetically modified plants and animals? Can I develop underwater habitats based around such farms? This would allow the huge population boom. Can I develop new kinds of plankton that produce 100x more oxygen and plants that are more effeceint at taking harmful chemicals out of the air?

4. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Fusion power plants: I'm no expert on nuclear power, but it seems reasonable for 46 years in the future.
    Hydroponic farms: I'm shy about going into exact details about how many people they can feed and such, but of course advanced biological research would lead to advanced farming techniques.
    Underwater habitats: Probably not - As far as I know, it's not an economically viable strategy. In any case, Australia's population is going to be quite low.
    New plankton/plants: Both these and the hydroponic farms won't have direct game effects, but will be considered part of the benefits to your nation from a high tech level. More efficient engineered plant life is another natural consequence of a advanced biological research.

5. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

OOC: Oh those plants do have a direct effect. One of the problems with going to further away planets and planetoids is the lack of oxygen. It is hard to carry enough oxygen for both the trip there and back. I was just using my tech specialization to get a step ahead of everybody else. Also they combined with my idea of hydroponic farms would allow for permanent non-terraformed colonization.

6. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

Expressing an interest in taking over a nation. I wish i had seen this thread sooner.

If by any chance Nuclear Kid gives into...reality/peer pressure, I would like to submit my candidacy for Europe.

Or if not, I would like to play as the African Union if possible, or Russia... or India... or any of the more likely powers than Australia...

If all of the above are unavailible, I would simply like to pitch in with helping the history.

7. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

Heh, can't believe I didn't see this thread until now. Lurking for now. Though really Chand (and not speaking my own case since I would stay out for now), I think you should redo the signup process. Allow everyone who wants to to send in a background for a nation, and pick the best four. What has been shown so far is... disturbing. Head Serf's doing fine though.

To all who are going to play this first turn: Please note that the you are not playing the nations/factions you will be playing in the actual game. What you are doing is setting the scene for all players, and what you create will result in the factions that everyone plays. So please, don't strive to get an überleet faction. Do something sensible. If you aren't up to the responsibility, drop out and let someone else do the first turn.

8. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

I whole-heartedly agree with Niklas's proposals.

:goodjob:

9. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Hm... I've considered it, and considered it. I really dislike the feeling of pulling the rug out from the players I've already signed up, but I admit that there's more than a bit of dischord in this process.

Demetrias, would you consent to giving up your hold of Australia in exchange for first dibs on the interstellar nations that form? Australia is really a bit outmatched in this company, and I believe that an extrasolar biotech giant in the not too distant future would really fare better than one based on earth.

10. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

I don't know why one would exist in space if it would not exist on earth. People don't just change because we are in space and at a certain point in time the genetic engineering I want to do becomes redundant versus compariable advances in Robotics. By the time you guys would let me have a biotech empire everyone else would have fully functional robots like in blade runner or the Asimov series. Either that or I would become a biotech terrorist combined with some type of zerg like creatures for soldiers. Second I though we were going to play the nations we created. Thats what the original introduction sounded like. That you were going to have 4 players start creating history and then sometime soon you where going to let other people join. I don't know why you just don't go ahead and either come up with the history to get us into space or let everybody join. If you really can't think of any other way of doing it then sure I will resign but I think you should really just let the others join now and play a semi-futuristic one to get to the future or just write your own script.

11. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Oh, don't misunderstand. By waiting for interstellar empires, I mean that you'd be able to submit your orders next turn; that is, after Update 0. The very next turn is when the whole interstellar colonization thing is going to start. This is just a prelude to the prelude.

12. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

How do you go from I can't have genetically engineered super soldiers to interstellar civilization in 25 years?

13. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Clearly, something abnormal happens.

14. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

I ment you to tell me a real answer cause if you just let that stand I want my genetic super soldiers cause they are no more unrealistic then that. Probably a whole lot less unrealistic then that.

15. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

A Summary of the Recent History of American Foreign Policy - Part Two

A resurgence of Islamic terrorism in Somalia resulted in the collapse of the provisional democratic government formed in 2007. American RAAVs (Rotor-powered Armored Assault Vehicle) were used for the first time in combat in Somalia, where they were only mildly effective. Lessons learned fighting in the hilly, desert terrain of Somalia allowed engineers back in America to improve upon the original designs.

The Islamic revolutionaries were quickly defeated, mainly by a combination of Somali and UN forces, while American forces played only a secondary role, something that seemed to demean America's influence in the region, for better or worse.

2024-2025

After many years of relative peace, a school in Seattle was attacked by a number of Filipino Islamic terrorists. Over 200 children were killed, and the O'Malley government is heavily criticized for not doing enough to prevent the killings. The next year, after the elections, the new president demanded that the Philippines allow the US army to occupy the ARMM (Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao) and remove the leader of said region, who is known to have terrorist connections. The Philippine government unhappily allowed the US to enter, knowing that the Americans would invade with or without their consent.

American RAAVs assaulted a number of fortified positions and terrorist camps, this time more effectively than in Somalia. The ARMM was put under international control, this time mostly led by American military forces. Although very controversial throughout the world, the invasion and occupation is strongly supported by the American population.

The ARMM is still under American-International control, although fewer American forces are deployed to the region, and local governance is progressively handed over to Filipino authorities.

The large expansions in military spending over the past several years results in better missile defense systems along with better designed RAAV teams. New American military bases are built in the ARMM, South Korea, Israel, Turkey, and the Ukraine, which has continually elected pro-Ukrainian, pro-Democratic political parties, such as the Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc and the Party of Regions.

(So, how does that sound? Feel free to criticize or improve what I've written.)

16. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

. . .

If you really want them that badly, I suppose you could host your own NES, with yourself as a player, because there's no way I can satisfy everyone with those sorts of demands and maintain the integrity of the game. This one has waited long enough, and it will continue now.

17. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

I am just saying that if you are maintaining your stance on they can't even be slightly unrealistic then your plans to jump start an interstellar space race in 25 years is very unrealistic and in your first post you said we should tell you if your being unrealistic. And to me it seems backwards that you are going to allow yourself complete artistic freedom but wont allow us any.

18. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

Now a stellar space race in 25 years is practical but not an interstellar one.

19. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Demetrias, I think Chandrasekhar is trying to say that something extraordinary will happen in 2053 that will make extraterrestrial travel very important/easy, and he wants it to be a surprise. Our main concern is to build the history before then.

20. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Demetrias, I've let my stand be known on this issue, and as the mod of this NES, I'm not going back on it. Some sort of faster than light travel is required for this type of space NES to work, and that means it must necessarily be blatantly Sci-Fi. Thus, the starting era is irrelevent to how realistic this technology is.

I don't think this NES can continue with you as a player, Demetrias, or at least not now. I'm going to let another player take the spot, and hopefully the rest of this thing will go off without a hitch. No doubt this will piss you off like nothing else, but consider it a learning experience.