1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Chandrasekhar, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Nuke's future history of Europe and the former Australian future history were ridiculous!

Frankly, save a world war, there aren't going to be many massive changes in the next half-century.

Europe's probably going to continue working towards unity, developing into a federation of Social-Democratic States.

China's future should be very interesting, however.

I wish I'd managed to claim a nation.

2. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

EDIT: Oops, double post.

3. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

I wish that I had managed to claim a nation too. I laughed when Nuclear Kid got the spot, a spot reserved for a "experienced" and/or "competent" NESer. :mischief:

4. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

He's not an expert, but he's not a noob in any sense, IMHO.

5. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Yeah the history of this world changes way too much to let the players to choose. You need to write the history for 50 years, unless you bound the players to ONLY write history of their state in their current state of a state. In other words only inside current border. That is because unless there is a world war nothing is going to change. Maybe tiny border changes here and there (like Israel-Palestine possible peace, several new countries popping in possible areas in the world like a Kurd nation, presuming Turkey allowed it of course).

Australia annexing Taiwan and Taiwan inviting them is impossible. Taiwan have fought hard against China to keep themselves semi-free. Giving up their semi-freedom to join Australia is pathetic and they would loose their own people's support in such a move. China for the Chinese after all.

Europe becoming communist is just plainly crazy right now. Maybe in a thousand years or after some extremely advanced alien race with communist ideals giving commies help there.

Thought I must admit that this NES is inviting crazy ideas. I wanted to join as Israel as myself making up my empire :) Gaining power in Israel, taking control of the scientific community allowed greater scientific freedom, Slowly politically taking over Israel until finally eradicating the religious craziness here and eliminating religious leader to bring down that ideal. And than going on to make my empire.

6. The Loser

The Loser King

I don't know if this is possible as a nation, but i'll try :p

The Lunar cooperation
    Leader: Mark Gates ( The Loser)
    Capital: Utopia: The Moon
    Government: a council of senior businessman lead by Mark gates
    Technology: Being a cooperation has a big advantage. Many governments orders their technology or their weapons with companies. Being a big cooperation means we have a lot of technology others have.
    Army Stats: a small defensive force
    Army Description: Ground forces and some lunar lasers to protect against space debris
    Navy Stats: we have no real navy, only some ships to protect our important transports on earth
    Navy Description:
    Total Economy: We have a lot of income, but costs of having a lunar base are high.
    Planets Occupied: The moon, and some planetoids near Mars.
    Avg. Infrastructure: very good
    Control: high
    Total Population: rather low
    Military Cap: <Divisions>
    Education: excellent
    Avg. Safety & Health: very good
    Avg. Patriotism: low
    Projects: Lunar Base, Space-Tourism, Planetoids research
    History: When space tourism really started in 2010 all the tourism projects boomed. People started to invest a lot of money into these projects. Also big companies started to buy them selfs in the tourism companies. But to compete with big nations and to go further they had to work together! So under the lead of Mark Gates ;-) They found the Lunar cooperation. Their goal was to build a lunar station for research and tourism.
    In 2030 they finally created a base on the moon where people could live, work and have a vacation. They invested a huge amount of money into this Lunar base and are exploring further research and tourism possibilities...

7. e350tb

e350tb Stupendously Illogical Englishman

I'd also like to bring up the unbelievability of the 'UESR'. Firstly, Europe is not a bunch Neo-Communists maniacs. Secondly, there are many countries (Britain, for example), who are not exactly likely to join a European superstate, as much as people think it should, and thirdly, Berlin would NEVER be the capitol of a united Europe. it might be Brussels, Paris or even Vienna, but not Berlin, not after World War two.

8. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

A Summary of American Domestic Policy - Part 1

Term 2008

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is elected president. During his term he lowered general spending in the areas of health and general welfare in an attempt to bring the national debt under control. The immigration problem with Mexico was never completely solved, although sections of wall were produced at several points along the Mexican-American border. The estate tax, with the support of much of the republican and democratic party, was increased, and as a whole the debt decreased. In 2010 the republicans gained a majority in Congress, but the perceived unnecessary sending of US troops abroad in 2010 severely hurt the president's image.

Term 2012
    Democratic presidential candidate Dick Gephardt defeated the incumbent Mitt Romney. His attempts to create a nationalized health care system, like that of many European countries, fail due to the republican majority in congress. He chooses to decrease the size of the military, and instead focus on missile defense systems, which are then placed in several friendly nations. He also chooses to make the US leave NAFTA in 2015, a highly controversial move.

Term 2016
    The very popular candidate is reelected for the 2016 term. His new, progressive tax system which taxes the rich at a much higher percentage than the poor, is passed by congress, and spending by the poorest in the country increases, a large boon to many American companies.

Term 2020
    Democrat Martin O'Malley is elected president for the 2020 term. By this time the Democrats have regained their majority in Congress. Martin O'Malley is the first of many presidents to heavily increase spending in technology and biology fields, although legal restrictions on many types of biological research, such as stem cells, results in very little be discovered as compared to such countries as China. His continued, strong opposition to NAFTA leaves no chance of the agreement being resigned.

9. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Well, first things first, I'm not going to kick out anyone who's already signed up for this NES, though they're free to leave if they want... Maybe it would've been better for me to handpick NESers that I already knew, and to have some pre-planning of this NES done before I even posted a thread, but I don't see a good way to pull that off now.
    Our "wildcard" slot is already taken, and this nation is too far out there anyway. :p
    Well, I think that if everyone takes Head Serf's policy, we could actually get an interesting and detailed history fleshed out. Certainly something better than what I alone could make.
    Fortunately, I exercised my veto so that neither of those scenarios will be in the NES... As I'd do if you had tried to play as such a crazy Israel. ;)

Even if I only allowed established NESers into this NES, there still wouldn't be enough slots to go around, you know. After the first turn or two, we should have plenty of nations to take over, so just be patient. :p

Edit: X-posted with Head Serf.

10. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Noting interest and expressing scorn for the various "histories" sketched out by certain posters. :smug:

11. The Loser

The Loser King

I guess i'll be lurking then :D

12. das

das Regeneration In Process

So, I assume all spots have been taken for now. Will watch with interest if so. If, however, China is still open as indicated on the front page, I am quite interested in that.

It is quite good to hear that the insidious commie plot to take over Europe and the imperialistic Australian attempt to seize the Chinese province of Taiwan have all been thwarted. ;)

13. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Well, I'm waiting for North King's answer at the moment (though looking his statements again, it's quite possible that he'll decline to join), and after him on the waiting list is Fuschia. Aside from them, however, you're the only one to explicitly say you want China. ;)

14. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

I don't want china, I'll join later when this grows.

15. das

das Regeneration In Process

A tentative question: what kind of technological development could we count on? I suppose it should all be fairly conservative, but still, what can we expect from, say, nanotechnology or cybernetics?

Also, I would like to state belated alarm at the fact that Nuclear_kid is one of the four people that will apparently have the greatest amount of influence on the history of this universe. No offense, but I remember King Ryan. ;)

16. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

That's an important question that I've been considering for awhile now, but it's hard to answer. To address those two technologies specifically, I think that cybernetics, in the medical sense, will be very well mastered by the year 2053. All but the most complex organs could be replaced in any first-world nation, though such technology would still be quite expensive. Neural cybernetics, however, I think would be much more complex - As of the year 2053, or even decades beyond that, I believe that fully sapient AI, as well as direct human mind-AI interfaces, will still be elements of fiction.

Nanotechnology is tougher to measure, but it should be rather more advanced than the current day's technology as well. I suppose we can assume that it will generally keep pace with other technologies - That is, if a particular gadget is feasible by all other technological standards, we can assume that a lack of nanotechnological advancements won't hold it back (within reason). This is a really weak and flimsy definition, but most nanotechnological requirements would just be implied in the context of this NES anyway. :p

Now, to the more fundamental, first question. How can I set a standard for technological progress? On the first page I have a reserved "tech file" post, which I suppose can serve that purpose to some degree. I'll try to keep it up to date with technology samples from various fields, as well as descriptions of ship construction and such (which may be compiled from player stories, by the way).

However, this can't be an exhaustive list. I guess you can ask me whether a specific something is feasible or not, and I can answer on a case-by-case basis. If someone has an idea for a more exhaustive method, I'd love to hear it.
    Well, I've not had the pleasure of sharing a NES with Nuclear kid, but I had noticed that he's hosted a NES or two before, which requires some degree of dedication and ability. As you can see, I'm not averse to using the Mighty GM Hammer of Justice to strike down any plainly wrong ideas, so any... eccentricities shouldn't become an issue. :p I don't intend to forcibly eject any players from my NES unless they really deserve it, and I have no reason to believe that Nuclear kid won't make a more serious effort at a European nation today.

And anyway, the four starting nations won't necessarily have the greatest impact on history, either. The big pattern might change a lot, yeah, but often the smaller, more "regional" patterns are the ones that have the greatest influence on the game's flow. And by the time those are being set, this NES will have plenty of slots for the current band of disgruntled NESing geniuses, and then some. ;)

17. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Ohh Nanotechnology is the reason the Raio didn't take over the Earth in a month in my space-game-story :).

18. Haseri

Haseri Emperor

Lurking...with intrest. Hopefully this will deliver what Carmen promised in his. An actualy colonization NES. I'd be happy to play any aliens, but I doubt you'd want that.

19. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

We have no females left actively NESing. Unless Cuiv is back.;)

20. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Indeed, that is what I'm aiming for. :) As to aliens... We'll see. To implement them is one thing, but to implement them in a believable way is another entirely. Though I'm no Sci-Fi expert, I know that I've seen very few stories that have done this well.