PREVIEW: The Great Northern War 1700-1721

Grohan, this scenario is a good idea! I would like to play it as soon as possible-))

BTW, I wonder, how many cities did you put on the map?

#4!!!! Most definitely

My only gripe is that I think the map is far too big. Look at all those cities - it would be overwhelming! Every move would take forever to do, and then there would be quite a wait for the next one... I'd recommend using a smaller map and definitely fewer cities, if possible.

@NeverMind: I have no idea how many cities there are...

@Plotinus: I noticed that problem too, but too late. I may later release lighter version (more impassable tundra, lesser cities etc.).

Current loading time is about 2-3 minutes (I have yet to place most units and city improvements) with 2.8 Ghz Celeron processor and 512 RAM (the processor is really bad and sometimes even 1.6 Ghz Duron processor beats it :lol: )

How big is the map, anyway? I too thought that it was a bit big but when I saw the size of that square on the minimap I started to think, maybe not.

And I like image 4.

I added one new civ: Bavaria (commercial, Industrious) and new locked war: War of Spanish succession. I think this addition adds more action to Southern Europe :)

Bavaria and Spain are locked in war against Austria. Bavaria and Spain get some French reinforcements at the start of the game but I don't give any extra help for Austria because Austria may then become too powerful.

I will also explain some other scenario concepts:
Battle of Narva - It is said that Estonian peasant named Steppinsch Krauklis showed location of Russian forces in the battle of Narva. To simulate this in the game Sweden gets unbuildable and immobile Steppinsch Krauklis unit at the start of scenario. Steppinsch Krauklis shows location of Russian forces for Sweden (radar) and he is also powerful cruise missile.

Sweden's early victories - All other civs expect Sweden skip their first turn (like in WW2 Pacific conquest) to simulate Swedens early victories.

Cossack rebellion - If Sweden can capture city of Poltava, Sweden can build cheap Cossack rebellion wonder which produces Cossacks for Sweden

Attachments

• newgnwmap.PNG
    newgnwmap.PNG
    46.3 KB · Views: 266
Have you made any progress? :mischief: :bump:

I counted the cities, btw. I got 436, I think (although I'll admit it wasn't very precise). I was bored.

If I have during this summer I plan on doing one too which will be on a much smaller map and will use flavor units for most troops. You should be able to play that one... if I have the time to do it.

I have made some progress since I last time posted but I recently had some RL stuff to do so I wasn't able to work on the project.
There is mostly misc stuff to do (add few new city improvements, better balance etc.) so project is 90-95% done.
I have bit reduced the amount of cities to reduce the loading times. Current loading time with my Celeron 2.8 is under 10 minutes if I remember right. Waiting times between turns are still too long (few minutes):sad:

@LouLong: It would be really cool if you have time to do it :) Most major civs already have some flavor/unique units and some smaller civs also have at least one flavor/unique unit.

Some screenshots (first shows just shows Grenades tech in civilopedia and second shows units folder)

Attachments

• gnwtechprev.jpg
    gnwtechprev.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 54
  • GNWunits.GIF
    GNWunits.GIF
    35 KB · Views: 69
Grohan said:
@viper275: 436? I couldn't believe I have put so much cities there :eek:
I recounted and got:
Denmark: 31
Sweden: 76