Princes of the Universe, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter Eleven: Noble Men

Epilogue – On Nobility

At nearly that same moment, in the High Priest’s residence at the Kong Miao in Antium, Mencius was pressing quill to paper, putting the finishing touches on what he regarded as his life’s work: a dissertation on the nature of nobility.

The Buddhists have an expression which has always puzzled me.
‘If you meet the Buddha in the road, kill him.” Long have I strained to understand such a strange, even odious notion. But now, after many long years, I believe I finally grasp what they mean.

The Master wrote about the Noble Man, a man who lives up to the term through his deeds, not merely through an accident of birth. But the Noble Man does not exist. He is an ideal to which we should all aspire. But he does not exist in this realm, and for that, we should all be thankful. For the Noble Man, so assured of his nobility as the Master described him, would be worse than his opposite, the petty man; the Noble Man, if he actually existed, would be a monster. And we would be entirely justified in killing him, as the Buddhists urge us.

Fortunately, as I said, the Noble Man does not exist. And yet, it has been my very great honour to meet noble men. Very few, mind you, and I wish their numbers were greater.

What sets them apart, you may ask, from the Noble Man? How are these noble men who do exist among us different from the ideal?

They differ in that they do not think themselves noble. They subject all their actions, even their thoughts and motivations, to unwavering scrutiny. They take particular note of where they fall short of the ideal. But they do not despair, or at least not for long; they resolve to do better, to try harder, to live up to the ideal at the next opportunity, and the one after that. In this regard, their reach forever exceeds their grasp.

The Noble Man gives us an ideal to which we can aspire. The noble man gives us something more precious by far: he gives us the hope that we can achieve that ideal.

Mencius sat back, satisfied. He then turned back to the beginning of the work, and wrote just a few lines more.

Dedicated

to Lucius Rutullus Lepidus Aztecus,

noble man.

The last chapter was a bit predictable, but I'm not complaining. :D I'm not like those who complained at the end of "Friends" that
Spoiler :
Ross and Rachel got back together.

It's what we wanted, and it was marvelously written.

As for the epilogue, it was a very very pleasant surprise! Very inspiring!

I'm out of words, so I hope a few smilies will do: :clap: :worship: :goodjob: :thanx:

Hail to the Conqueror of lands, the slayer of great beasts, that writer of Prose that turns into a truely mosterous beast, that consumes the story...:king:

Ok. Ok, having a poke at the length and the diversion of the novella...

Is what you really planned or does it give the flesh to the story...great story...really it could have been a seperate one...you've set a standard now...who will be the future hero's of Pax Romani..

I assume that this was without the benifit of Warlords..So no Great Generals... Lucius Rutullus Lepidus Aztecus...would have been a Great "Great General"..For ever providing his instuctions and principles in a war Acadameny or as the Legendary leader of the 14th Legion throughout future history.

But you writes them as you've Played them...

As well, do you plan to write 'fleshy stories' for the various future era'a...ie Gunpowder with Grenadiers/Riflemen, and Industrial with Infantry and Marines *My personal favourate*.

Storm those Beaches of the foreign lands, :blush: lay waste to their crops, destroy the industries, :eek: drive them before you as the lamb to the slaughter, :mad: here the Wails and laments of their women as you take the cities :cry:

Toasim Rules...:confused:

Sun Tzu Rules of War...Rule No 1, be the winning side...:crazyeye: :goodjob: :lol:

I'm just going to stop lavishing praise on you, shut up, and wait for the next installment.

It was still great though. :)

Yah it was worth the wait and wrapped the sub plot up nicely. I'm looking forward to what old Caesar's been up to.

Thanks, everyone. :blush: :D

This story, as I mentioned, was a very gratifying diversion. I was reading another story, set in ancient Rome, where a minor character, a primus pilus centurion, earns a grass crown and is never mentioned again. And I thought, "Hey, what about that guy's story?" So everything kind of unfolded from there. I meant for it to be a relatively simple short story like its predecessors, but once I got Lucius into his limited circumstances, I realized that it was going to take a good long while for him to extract himself from them and, of course, win the girl in the end. Building a wonder? That's easy. If you want a challenge, try falling in love. ;)

IPEX-731BA5DD06, you're correct, the entire game took place in vanilla Civ IV, so no Great Generals, unfortunately. As you may have gathered and will see in the next story, though, once the Fighting Fourteenth demobilized, Lucius swapped his cuirass for a toga and put his fighting days behind him.

ahhh, so now its back to war and conquest!
that irksome barbarian city and island to the east?

ahhh, so now its back to war and conquest!
that irksome barbarian city and island to the east?
Actually, the next story is somewhat more peaceful--introducing the players for the mayhem to come. ;)

mmmmmm- mayhem!:hammer: :ar15:

Nuclear Kid will be an outcast of Rome, determined to destroy it :mischief:

Great story, been following since the begining ^^

The epilogue was a nice ending to that, keep up the good work! But whats going to happen between lizzie and ceaser? He will have to kill her :cry:

Ah, so you've been an English teacher before. I'm fine with English teachers, except the ones pick out 5 grammatical mistakes per sentence and then give me a "D" grade for my homework. But what does impress me is an English teacher that can play Civ. This is one of the most mathematical PC games out there. If you are interested in another highly mathematical game, try http://www.kamikazegames.com/dominion/

Ah, so you've been an English teacher before. I'm fine with English teachers, except the ones pick out 5 grammatical mistakes per sentence and then give me a "D" grade for my homework. But what does impress me is an English teacher that can play Civ. This is one of the most mathematical PC games out there. If you are interested in another highly mathematical game, try http://www.kamikazegames.com/dominion/

I was also a social studies teacher--in other words, a history buff. That's where most of the interest in Civ comes from. I'm good at math, but I don't love it. I appreciated a lot of the improvements in Warlords and its patch, such as the display of how many turns to go before the next GP. I hate playing with a calculator, which I know means I may never graduate beyond monarch level.

sisiutil... its been almost a week....
you are torturing us....
suffering from withdrawal.....
:)

If you don't post the next installment in five minutes I'll scream. ;)

I think I heard you. ;)

I've been busy with the current ALC. Story update this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom