• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Privateering (INTERESTING)

chickensaver

Chieftain
Hello y'all! This is my first post in this site! (If you wanna skip the intro just go to the ***** part)
Recently, I've been searching for posts on privateers and I haven't found many articles about this sucky --if you don't know how to use it-- unit.
YO-HO-HO and a bottle of rum!
The first time I played civ3 and I got to magnetism, I started building stuff. I didn't know what the privateer was until I read it's special abilities. I was awed and started MASS creating these nasty little things. To my disappointment, half or more of my privateers were killed by mere galleys. I swore never to build one EVER again.
Three years later, my stupid governor chose to build one. I decided to send it to explore, protected by one of my ironclads, just in case. I ended one turn with both units in the same space, in neutral waters.
To my surprise, enemy ships started attacking my Ironclad (treating it as if it were a privateer)!!! Of course the weak Frigates were no match for my defending Ironclad+Privateer combo.
I tried this on several occasions and came to the following conclusions:
If you have a Privateer and any other ship, that other ship won't have nationality and will be open to attacks!!!
By sending better ships with Privateers I was able to cripple other civs' navies without declaring war!!! (If your ships are way too advanced compared to the AI's, it will be reluctant to attack you)
*Note that you can only defend, not attack units while masked by the privateer.
As the game advanced, the stupid AI kept attacking my privateering destroyers and battleships!
All it takes is to end one turn with a privateer and another unit (i.e.: galley, battleship, carrier) on the same square.
Tip: for better results, sign RoP and fortify your privateering navy by the enemie's ports.
Being a newbie, please give me a break if y'all already knew this.
Your comments are appreciated!!!

Nice discovery there, although I never really used the Privateers.

I have read something similar like this somewhere, but I don't remember where. Possibly in the war academy, or in a sucession game.

Nice to be reminded tho :)

That's the first time I've seen the idea anywhere. VERY interesting!!! Thank you. :)

Fun stuff. I didn't know that either. :)

I remember when i first built my privateer armada. They were a lot of them so i attacked the enemy. Soon after he declared war on me. :lol: The reputation decreased to much because of my numerous attacks.

Eh, if the AI attack your privateer, it is not a DoW, because the privateer doesn't have a nationality, but if they attack the defending unit, that has a nationality. is it an automatic DoW by the AI on you?

If so, it means you could RoP rape them without getting the rep hit.
#Sign a RoP
#Move your army in rape position.
#move your privateer/non-privateer stack where the AI will attack, and thus they declare.
#Do your thing with your army.

^ Would work, but I think that post one implied nobody declares war to nobody, if you have a privateer with your unit... And if nobody declares war (hidden nationality), the RoP is not broken.

Eh, if the AI attack your privateer, it is not a DoW, because the privateer doesn't have a nationality, but if they attack the defending unit, that has a nationality. is it an automatic DoW by the AI on you?

If so, it means you could RoP rape them without getting the rep hit.
#Sign a RoP
#Move your army in rape position.
#move your privateer/non-privateer stack where the AI will attack, and thus they declare.
#Do your thing with your army.

actually what happens is that the AI treats your unit with nationality (ironclad, for example) as a unit without a nationality and thus no war is declared even though the AI attacks your ship with nationality!

Usually I dislike privateers, but this could be worth trying.

That's a good find.

One thing I did notice with using privateers is that the other civ still recognizes you if you already haven't been recognized.

ie: I sent a privateer into a black mass that I figured one of the other civs was in, and hit paydirt. As soon as that happened, I got the pop-up box from the civ's chief saying "I noticed your little civ, and want to hose you for some techs, etc.".

So much for the privateer being private.....

(Hay guys I'm new here :))

I believe this is not a bug: If the nationallity of one's ironclad would not have been neutralized – then the enemy would be able to "right click" the stack and see a privateer hiding, thereby identifying it as yours. The programmers may have done this intentionally.
However, what makes more sense to me would be the privateer turning into a ”nationalized privateer” as soon as it's busted by the enemy, and you taking a minor rep hit ('cause nobody likes predators) :)

:wavey: sapht.

Welcome to CFC!

That would be an attitude hit.

I like predators btw, I have two cats.

Top Bottom