Probably Improved Gameplay Mod

Maybe a stupid ? but I'm a new guy, not an expert by any stretch. I just recently got BtS and I'm getting ready to start a game. I downloaded and installed BUG 4.4, I'm now seeing the PIG which looks to cover everything plus some. Should I be uninstalling the Bug 4.4 prior to Installing PIG? Wasn't sure and wanted to be sure before I start messing with it.
Thanks.

Install PIG and then modify its INI file and set NoCustomAssets to 1. This will tell it to ignore BUG Mod since it already has BUG in it.

It might not have the very latest BUG in it though. Whatever the BUG version was at the time the last version of PIG was released. Still, unless something radical has been done in the past couple of months, it's mostly all of it.

Seeing as Civilization V turned out to be an overall worthless pile of crap you should probably keep developing this mod :)

I was thinking, there are some good aspects of Civilization V that perhaps could be included in Civ4 PIG? Like maintenance for roads, that sounds intriguing! I guess it would be hard to get the AI to recognize that concept, though?

Note PoM:

A problem with the installer when installing PIG on top of a Civ4 BTS Steam install.

The shortcut generated looks like this:

"C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\PIG Mod

This command line will produce the following error:

Mods\Pig Mod \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring

If I just change the command line to:

"C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="PIG Mod"

Then it works properly.

It's unlikely I'll be able to work on this in the next few weeks or couple of months or so. I'll see if I can fix the issue with the installer though - that doesn't require any compiling.

I'm going to look into modding civ5 but I'm not yet ruling out continuing to mod civ4 instead/as well.

You have a practical approach to your mod(s), and you accept feedback for future versions, I know I would welcome any future updates. :)

(even as I dabble with CiV, but both have their place for now)

I just played my 1st game with this mod.

I know the AI is different, but is it considered harder than BtS on the same settings.
It seemed harder, but from just one game it's hard to be sure.
I didn't have the best terrain?

Sometimes the AI didn't have such good terrain and they grew their cities pretty well.

The Greeks set up a city in between 2 of mine on the exact spot I was going to build.
I figured they would get squeezed out, but that city grew in no time and started to squeeze me out by stealing tiles.

I couldn't figure out how it was growing so fast with only 1 good food tile and most of the others with just 2 food.

Well if he had the cultural trait that could be a contributor, and sometimes one good food tile is all you need for fast growth. You really can't afford to let the AI push you around like that, though I know the same thing happens to me! Culture mechanics are extremely wimpy, I sometimes try to steal back the tile by building libraries and such but it's no replacement for the sword.

I just played my 1st game with this mod.

I know the AI is different, but is it considered harder than BtS on the same settings.

;) Do you know about the mod called Better (BtS) AI? (sometimes aka BBAI)

PIG Mod incorporates one of the fairly recent revisions of Better AI. Some players estimate it makes the game about one difficulty level harder.

I was playing a game using your mod again today, and I had a farm pop a corn resource. It turned out to be my only healthy grain of that type so I certainly benefitted from the + 2 :health:!

Having Machinery as a prerequisite for Paper is lamentable... I have both Theology and Civil Service but I still can't research it? :eek:
Without that limitation I could have hastily researched Paper and hopefully constructed the University of Sankore ahead of my rivals.
Machinery is already a prereq for Engineering and Printing Press, which are both juggernaught techs of themselves...
plus Paper sux... lol.

Any chance for SDK to be released? I'm tempted to rewrite my mod from scratch because of possible SDK problems

I'll see what I can do. Hopefully I can put it up soon.

Wow, this mod has come a long way since I checked on it last. Time to actually try it out :) I've been playing Better BUG AI so far, and I see you have incorporated most (if not all) of that as well, so time to step it up. Looks great! Looks really great.

I also question the Paper requisite change though. What is the main thought behind that?

EDIT: Suggestion: What do you think of making a change to Drill III as per the change to Drill I. Make it less random and make it 1 first strike instead of 2 first strike chances? A Drill IV unit is a bit too random IMO.

Hmmm, that's been discussed a fair bit already, even over the last couple of pages I think. Perhaps try a search of this thread for the word paper. To make the explanation very short, its to slightly weaken the techs that the GS can bulb and so reduce the effectiveness of the Liberalism beeline.

Ah sorry, it was a long thread (48 pages). Well, that makes sense. Actually, that's good.

Do you like the suggestion I made about Drill III?

PoM I think I brought up a relevant point though, if I have 2 preceding techs I should be able to research Paper. I'm not beelining if I have to research Theocracy.

Glad to hear you're trying PIG Caboose, I think it's a very well balanced mod and I'll be curious to hear your impressions!

I love it. I only wish it would be updated so that a lot of the new features from BAI and BUG are included. Probably a lot of work to do this mod so I won't nag about it. Great stuff.

Top Bottom