Problems with Civ II with Windows (2000 and XP)

I just got civ II for mac, and i have OSX 10.3.9, and when i tried to install it my computer told me i dont have the capability to run my computer in "classic" mode, so i dont know what to do. I used to have a pc with civ II and now i bummed because i can't play it on my mac. please help with any ideas you might have. thanks.

This thread is about civ2 on Windows and your question is about the Mac.

Try to create a new thread next time (with a descriptive subject), unless an existing thread already covers the same topic. That makes it more likely for people who can answer your question to see it. Also, other people with the same question will be able to find it more easily.

But never mind now. Welcome to CFC.

I think I can help you, though if this doesn't work you'd better start a new thread after all. I think this page contains a download that lets you install it on OS X:
http://homepage.mac.com/bnesse/FileSharing9.html (The Civ2 Gold Rel PPC download)

And another thing: I think I read that the classic OS actually still comes on the OS X CD, but just isn't installed by default anymore on the latest versions.

I'm having a problem running Civ 2 on Windows XP Professional. I don't get an error message at all, the game just locks up at random points in the game. I have the 2004 re-release of classic Civ 2 and the box claims that it is XP compatible, but I keep having this problem. This also happens when I use the map creator. Any suggestions?

Hello, I'm faced with a similar problem I believe. We have three computers. All of them run on XP. Problem is that when I insert CII to install it, there is no response on any of them. I've putting the run code in but that also garners no response. Any help?

Methardin - did you try the Indeo video driver installer?

Civ2! - There was some discussion before about the installer not working. Did you look back through the support threads for the last few months?

I haven't, but I was under the impression that the Indeo video drivers affected the movies and the high council. My problem seemed more fundamental than that since it also occurred when I used the map editor. Still, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Civ2! - There was some discussion before about the installer not working. Did you look back through the support threads for the last few months?
No, I haven't. I'll go look around there now, but I might need further help.

From everything I could find, I see have some messages coming up and such. In my case, it just does absolutely nothing, like it doesn't even exist.

Hi all, I have a legit copy of Civ 2 that I want to run on my computer under Windows XP Professional.

1) The program installs on my computer.

2) When I click on the Civ2.exe icon, I get the error:

Can't run 16-bit Windows program

Insufficient Memory to run this application. Quit one or more windows applications and try again.

My computer runs Civ 3 and Civ 4, so it should be capable to running Civ 2.

Any ideas? Thanks

jolburke@iupui.edu

(OK - posting here & @scenario sub-section ['pologize for redundancy])

Working up a sweet Civ2 E/T-PDD* scenario, but have encountered the following buzz-kill:
"CIV2 caused a Stack Fault in module CIV2.EXE at 0024:0076"
This occurs when opening dialogue w/ other civs (all o'em). Searching forums here, 'Stack Fault' errors seem relative to the Indeo video issue (& I am running WinXP).
I am doubtful this is the issue, though, as I have encountered this nowhere else (Civ2 has worked fine all other occassions), and seems specific to my scenario-in-progess. Any suggestions 'ere I kill my most sweet scenario?

Thanks in advance!

* End of Term Procrastinative Disenabling Device

I also have the problem IR41.DLL and CivII does not want to open. I've tried to remove the IR41.DLL file but my computer doesn't allow that saying: 'acces denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.'

I have over 10 gig of space left, I do not have any programs running and the write-protected thing I do not understand.

I've also tried to download the indeo driver iv5setup, but my comuter does not want to do it saying it allready has a newer version of it!

what to do now?

I wanted to reinstall the program, but cannot find it in the add or remove programe list, so I don't know how to delete the program either. How comes I could play before and suddenly not anymore?

I encountered a very strange problem wenn installing CIV2. I could install the game without any problems, but wenn I tried to install the Scenarios and the Fantastic World add-on, the setup.exe on the disc doesn't react on clicking. Then I tried to start the installed (basic) game and it didn't work either. I don't get any error, just nothing. I use Windows XP Professional and I've also tried the compability mode without success. To make this situation even more strange I already CIV2 installed and running on the same computer with the same operational system, but I had to resetup the whole computer a while ago. I fear that I downloaded some "new features" of Windows XP, when I updated it, because I needed one of these to install the newest drivers for my graphic card. I think my problem is related to a general problem with 16bit based application on Windows XP. I've already worked through the help pages of Microsoft related to this topic, without success. I also tried to install these drivers, which are mentioned in this thread, but the installer doesn't react on clicking either.

I'm trying to convert to fantastic worlds via the downloadable patch so I have more than 2 scenarios to play. After following the directions on the patch page there is no difference in the scenario menu in the game. The directions near the patch link say, "The next time you start a game you should see the difference." I saw no difference.

I also tried opening up the .exe file from the patch and I get the "cannot find SMEDSNET.DLL" file error. Then it goes to the "can't run 16-bit windows program" message with the "cannot find file C:\DOCUME~1......(or one of its components).
I don't know if this is due to trying to open from the patch itself, but like I said, there is no difference in the game, post-patch.

I'm really tired of the Rome and WWII scenarios...

Any thoughts/comments?

I'm trying to convert to fantastic worlds via the downloadable patch so I have more than 2 scenarios to play. After following the directions on the patch page there is no difference in the scenario menu in the game. The directions near the patch link say, "The next time you start a game you should see the difference." I saw no difference.

I also tried opening up the .exe file from the patch and I get the "cannot find SMEDSNET.DLL" file error. Then it goes to the "can't run 16-bit windows program" message with the "cannot find file C:\DOCUME~1......(or one of its components).
I don't know if this is due to trying to open from the patch itself, but like I said, there is no difference in the game, post-patch.

I'm really tired of the Rome and WWII scenarios...

Any thoughts/comments?

Sorry for the necromancy - first-time poster, registered because I had this exact problem. The installation instructions in Cedric's download page aren't exactly helpful ("don't contact me if you have issues with it, I don't like to speak to idiots" IIRC), and I figured I'd try and get help.

Anyone out there who could supply a solution?

Hey guys, tried looking for a similar problem on here, but everyone's issue seems slightly different.

I also realise it's been almost a year since anyone posted in here, so I hope people are active and happen to check this thread and know the answer to my problem!

So I have a Macbook Air and I paid for parallels. I then used this to install Windows XP on my Mac. Next I installed CIV2 again since I was desperate to play it. I put the CD in, installed it fine, and then installed the video drivers it suggested. I started the game, and it starts fine. But then after a seemingly random amount of time (between 1 and 10 minutes), I get the following error message:

CIV2 caused General Protection Fault in module CIV2.EXE at 0040:5ED6. Choose close. CIV2 will close.

... And then I can either click "ignore" or "close", but either way CIV2 closes straightaway.

Any ideas on how to fix this please? All the video driver links above seem to be dead, and I'm not certain that's the problem anyway. Although I don't really know Windows too well, and you guys will have a much greater knowledge of my problem and how to fix it hopefully!

Thanks very much everyone!

Vic

OF COURSE we still check this forum! CivII is the ultimate turn based strategy game.

Now, I'm certainly no expert, but I seem to remember that installing those video drivers is a bad idea. Before you say anything, I KNOW that Ghandi's emissary waving his little stick makes dropping nukes after he begs for a cease fire all the more enjoyable, but I don't think it's possible. I ended up playing with no sound (CD won't read anymore), no vids, no heralds, just in-game noises. I just found a CivII playlist on youtube, whacked that on, and away I went. Make a cup of tea, have a cigarette, and do the same with the wonder videos. They're all on youtube too.

So, try unistalling, then re-installing without the optional video drivers. This is the very same problem I came on here for, and it worked for me. Good luck! If that doesn't work, or you simply can't stand not having the vids/heralds, keep posting and I'm sure someone here will be able to help. Won't be me on this particular problem though, I think I tried for some time and ended up compensating using youtube. I'll help if I can though.

Will

Hiya,

I've just changed my pc from XP Home to XP Pro 64-bit and find i can't install Civ 2.
When i double click on the Setup file, it returns the error message
"The image file D:\Setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine"

I've checked through the various posts, but can't find anything similar enough to help.

SpacemanG

Magic_Gorter,
thanx for the redirect; i've read thru all 6 pages of that thread now!
However, after all that, it appears that Vanilla CAN'T be patched for XP64.

Have i read that right?

I've patched to 2.42, but the XP64 patcher still doesn't work.

I have a number of other games that don't work under 64 bit, so i'm considering a 'dual-boot' approach.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

I implore you to get civ2 working, whatever the cost. Unfortunately, I have no experience with your problem. My suggestion would therefore be to explode your current pc setup, yes explode it. Buy a computer from 1996, run win98 on it, and do nothing but play civ2 on your doubtlessly overpriced 'vintage' setup. Simpler times, simpler times.

Top Bottom