Province assignment

Not just this, but I've noticed you'll get an instant +1 for building a city in any solid province. The tiny, crowded, boring provinces like East Anglia will be useful to your empire with cities there, even if you prefer to "conquer" them by covering them with culture. With Venice, Augsburg and Salzburg leaving Tyrol almost completely worthless, I still build Essen between Augsburg and Salzburg as Germany, for no reason other than the free stability. (Btw - was there really an Essen in this spot??)

Of course, the free boost only happens with the first city founded, but as you said, infinite city sprawl is a good strategy because each additional city in a solid province can be founded without a stability hit.

I think Essen is the first city on the list of default names for Germany. Like Kufah for Arabia or Cumae for the Italian civs. There's currently a lot of activity in the city name map thread since the map seems to be approaching finalization, the Tyrol is a glaring error that will probably be fixed in the next version

Yeah, actually there is no more Tyrol province in the svn version
You are also right on the first default city names: Essen for Germany, Kufah for Arabia
Fun fact about this: Now that we set Arabia to have Islam even before it has a city, when you find your first city (Damascus in most cases), that will be the holy city as it was intended.
But the log under the research bar will still say that "Islam was founded in Kufah!"

Similar to the Ottomans?
The Crimean Khanate was Islam for most of the time, but even they weren't too similar
Also, they were closer to allies than vassals to the Ottoman Empire.

You do make a good point with the vassals aren't ingame, so if the others agree with you, I will add some of the northern provinces back as OK

Bretagne is Solid for France and it became part of France in 1532! OTOH the Crimean khans were appointed by the Sultan starting in 1524, heck France predates the Ottomans by six hundred plus years! The Province of Burgundy wasn't fully France's until after 1700, but is Solid! Scotland flips for England even though it became part after the turn of the 16th century some 450 years after the spawn. Germany well... yeah...

The Ottomans are being subjected to a double standard, not cool bro, not cool.

Bretagne is Solid for France and it became part of France in 1532! OTOH the Crimean khans were appointed by the Sultan starting in 1524, heck France predates the Ottomans by six hundred plus years! The Province of Burgundy wasn't fully France's until after 1700, but is Solid! Scotland flips for England even though it became part after the turn of the 16th century some 450 years after the spawn. Germany well... yeah...

Not really a double-standard. Part of the Province-Stability mechanics are "hidden".

A province is listed as "Solid", but it doesn't become "Solid" until you get a city in it (settle or conquest).

The Ottomans got Crimea, but they had to put an effort to keep it. Once France established its control over Burgundy they had no issues keeping it.

Not really a double-standard. Part of the Province-Stability mechanics are "hidden".

A province is listed as "Solid", but it doesn't become "Solid" until you get a city in it (settle or conquest).

The Ottomans got Crimea, but they had to put an effort to keep it. Once France established its control over Burgundy they had no issues keeping it.

The Ottomans didn't have internal conflict in Crimea and they didn't put much effort into stabilizing it, instead the Crimean khanate provided excellent horsemen to the Ottomans.

The Ottomans didn't have internal conflict in Crimea and they didn't put much effort into stabilizing it, instead the Crimean khanate provided excellent horsemen to the Ottomans.

Crimean Khanate had a good measure of independence and you can argue hat it was not even part of the Ottoman Empire but a Vassal/Ally. The Ottomans only held the coast and everything else way independent.

The Crimean Cavalry should fit with the mercenary mechanics.

I just finished a game as Sweden, and found myself surprised at how much unstable territory I was able to hold. An overwhelming majority (Two-thirds to three-quarters) of my empire was in unstable lands:

Spoiler :

Are any of the UHV3 provinces actually OK to hold but listed as unstable (other than Pomerania, which does say OK)? Or are instability penalties toned down for Sweden for balance purposes? Managing his without manor houses, & despite being too late to the game to found corps to grow my economy doesn't initially seem possible. I actually conquered every province in the UHV area (plus Livonia and Estonia - these seem like they could be included as OK like Pomerania, and included in UHV3 area if nothing else), with the exception of Saxony and Brandenburg, since Germany was my vassal. Sweden had the most impressive army since Alexander or Leonidas, but could not hold most of its conquered land due to stability issues (small army, shaky finances), so it's a bit ahistorical to conquer this much land successfully and stabily. However, most civs have a UHV goal designed to push them to achieve a goal that said civilisation tried like hell to achieve, but ultimately failed to do - I think the 3rd UHV goal for Sweden could be upped to 7-10 cities (and include Livonia & Estonia in this territory).

Also - Oppland cannot be settled. Could a river/green patch etc. be added so we could build Lillehammer here? Or even remove the province completely like the Sahara? It doesn't make sense to have a province if nothing can be built there. (Speaking of - I've noticed Cordoba settling cities in parts of North Africa which lie outside provincial boundaries - I assume such cities would be the same as an unstable province?)

Attachments

• 2011-07-03_00003.jpg
    2011-07-03_00003.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 258
I can add Livonia and Estonia to the 3rd Sweden UHV

Will also check Oppland and the Sahara, change the areas where necessary

Everyone else thinks the Ottomans should get a few more provinces as OK?

Crimean Khanate had a good measure of independence and you can argue hat it was not even part of the Ottoman Empire but a Vassal/Ally. The Ottomans only held the coast and everything else way independent.

The Crimean Cavalry should fit with the mercenary mechanics.

The Ottomans chose the leader of the Crimean Khanate, this in some ways mirrors how the British controlled some of their protectorates.

Did the Norse have control of those areas? The areas I listed for the Ottomans had them controlled for 200+ years.

For reworking could you provide images?

Honestly it looks really bizarre with Wallachia completely surronded by Ottoman province, but be unstable, perhaps it should be an OK province.

I'd like to nominate Malta to be merged with Sicily, as is Malta is a single tile yet it was linked with Sicily for a majority of the game time

Speaking of unstable provinces surrounded by OK provinces - Brest is unstable for Lithuania, but every bordering province is Solid or OK. The Polish provinces make sense as OK, being they were part of the duality, but Brest was initially Lithuanian, and should probably be Solid, but if nothing else needs to be coded as OK.

I can add Brest to be OK for Lithuania

Still unsure about the Ottomans though
Right now they seem to be able to achieve their historical territories without serious problems.
On the other hand, we shouldn't totally forbid them to expand slightly beyond their historical borders (as we don't do that for other civs either),
so maybe a few more provinces as OK won't hurt...

Might be too insignificant to discuss, but what's with the word "continent" on the description of the effects of Notre Dame. Continent, as understood by the game, is all the land connected to that tile without water in between, right? Does this mean that if Notre Dame is built in Paris, France conquers the Holy Land and Corsica, Jerusalem will get extra happiness from the wonder bur Ajaccio will not?

I posted in this thread to suggest maybe giving Notre Dame effects based on provinces?

Continent, as it's understood in/by the game
I'm not sure how hard would it be to add province specific benefits for wonders, but doesn't sound easy to me...
Instead we can simply change the Notre Dame effect to +2 happiness in all your cities

Instead we can simply change the Notre Dame effect to +2 happiness in all your cities

I think it already does that.
Continent in RFCE means the whole map. At least thats what you can read in the civilopedia under concepts.

Continent in RFCE means the whole map. At least thats what you can read in the civilopedia under concepts.

Indeed
That's why I felt it's unfair if only cities on islands don't get the bonus

I think everything (including islands) is the same continent. I will double-check, but I did remove the continents placed by Rhye.

Province specific bonuses would be bad as many provinces are only 1 - 2 cities. We should make bonuses either global or per-city.

I think everything (including islands) is the same continent. I will double-check, but I did remove the continents placed by Rhye.

Province specific bonuses would be bad as many provinces are only 1 - 2 cities. We should make bonuses either global or per-city.

I already changed both wonder's bonuses to be global, and not only effective on the continent

Top Bottom