1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Qu01 (.5) No Buildings [3.17 + Solver's]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Quotey, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

I've PMed Atropos as it's conceivable he hasn't checked the thread- he was *just* up!

2. Atropos

Atropos Beware my geekhood

Heh, thought I had posted a got it. I will settle 1 NE of the blue circle and will stay at war with China for the time being, but not attempt to capture more cities until we have settlers to replace them. Sound good?

3. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

:bump:

Sounds good to me.

We really need some bigger happy caps. Since we can't make buildings, more production is only going to happen with vertical growth and cottages galore.

If we can somehow trade for Monarchy, that would be nice. But we'll need to get Priesthood some way first.

4. Atropos

Turn 0: Build city as discussed, set it to produce wealth as any units will probably be out of date before our next war. It is not connected to our trade network is any case, so all it could build would be a catapult. Not worth it. Our research is horrible. I think we should switch to caste system soon so we can run some scientists and lightbulb stuff.
    Turn 1: Christian shrine built.
    Turn 2: Borders of Gaungzhou expand, squeezing our new city. Ouch. I am checking JC for “enough on our hands” every turn.
    Turn 3: Joao demands that we cancel deals with the French. Not a chance.

A barb axe shows up.

Turn 4: The axe moves onto a hill.
    Turn 5: A spy is intercepted. Jewish shrine built.
    Turn 6: The axe is going to pillage our elephants. I could stop him but would need to risk our only axe with enough experience to become a medic. Not worth it as none of our cities is near the happy cap.
    Turn 7: The axe suicides itself on an Egyptian archer exploring our lands. Thanks, Egypt! Nonetheless, I am unwilling to accept this rather unequal deal:

Not worth the WFYBTA points. Hague WE -> WE. I realize that we haven't explored in spite of open borders, and send a spear to rectify the omission. JC has about four praetorians in the city closest to our new one. I hope they don't come after us.

I notice something: Ramesses has enough on his hands and a stack of swords near Mao's last decent city. I start moving units to preempt him.
    Turn 8: Brennus spread Taoism to The Hague.
    Turn 9: Ramesses' army is traveling through China, perhaps on its way to attack Brennus? Spot a Roman settler:

Turn 10: Decide to hand off here. We have troops to attack Mao's penultimate city should the mood take us. If we wait a turn and suicide the catapult, we should probably not have too many casualties. My priority was growing our cities, a slow and painful task without granaries. I kept research on Civil Service (due in 29, heh) but think we should backfill the religious techs. I also think we should switch to Caste System and run some scientists so that we can lightbulb our way to cuirassiers (should we obtain horses) or another unit capable of taking over the continent. With a slow game speed and our variant, our best chance is obviously domination.

Attached Files:

5. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

Nice to get going. I'm not too afraid of any of the others but we should try to see some more demos, most importantly JCs power graph.

We need to have a plan guys. I don't see us teching that far but relying on bulbing. Probabely (once more) beeline rifling, catching up nationalism and drafting an army? Should be hard though as we have little :). From then on we'll probabely be at war for the time being. I'm all for bulbing until we get to SciMeth (meaning PP and Chemistry are the last techs, right?).

Roster
    Quotey - on deck
    mystyfly
    DMOC
    Slobberinbear
    Atropos - just played
    Diamondeye - UP NOW in case you're back

6. slobberinbear

Just to make sure everyone's clear ... Mao has TWO cities, one in plain sight, the other to JC's south and our NE.

7. Atropos

We could really use horses. Cavalry would be awesome if we could bulb our way there first - those two moves would give us time to conquer most of the continent before they catch up. There are horses west of Mao's penultimate city but they have probably already been claimed. Might be worth a small war to claim them before Military Tradition so we can get a head start on cuirassiers.

Other than that, Mystyfly's plan looks good. I worry about getting enough scientists without pacifism, the GL, the National Epic or Philosophical, but Caste System scientists are still better than nothing.

By the way, I apologize for holding up the SG. I was confused for a while as to who was up.

8. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

No worries. Just don't make a habit of it :)

If we want to bulb we should start running scientists soon. Oh wait. ell, if we want to bulb we'll have to go into Caste. But horses should be good.

9. mystyfly

I'm not that worried about scientist arriving in time. We can't build academies anyway, so these GSs will be sitting around for a while. Since we can only bulb certain techs, if a GS is late we can already start unlocking the next bulb while waiting for the GS to bulb the first tech. Amsterdam has some nice food surplus but we'll probabely find a better GPfarm. No NE is bad but why no pac? Probabely just not yet ;). BTW I'm for bulbing philo ASAP.

10. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Someone PM Diamondeye. I'm going to have to go on skip for the nextr 2 days. Or probably take a swap with myst.

Plus this game NEEDS someone off!

11. Atropos

We need a state religion for Pacifism. We may adopt one eventually but there is no dominant one atm. Nor can we afford to annoy JC.

12. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Hi, Mysty just PMed me telling me I was up in this game, glad to hear so though I didnt realized I had signed up, since I am not even playing with Solvers. Anyway, I am OOP atleast 4 days more than expected, so I'll need a skip, at least.

13. slobberinbear

That means:

Quotey - SKIPPED for now
    mystyfly -- UP
    DMOC - On Deck
    Slobberinbear
    Atropos - just played
    Diamondeye - SKIP

14. mystyfly

Got it....

15. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Pretend that was a swap with myst:

Quotey {on deck}
    mystyfly (UP NOW GOT IT WITH 4 WHITE DOTS)
    DMOC
    Slobberinbear
    Atropos - [just played]
    Diamondeye - SKIP till whenever

16. mystyfly

since you're back, go ahead and play. no need to swap then. not playing tomorrow suits me.

17. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Oof, never noticed your post, mysty. Will get on it later tonight.

18. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Turn 0 (167)

Turn numbers are OOS again. No matter, I'll play 13.

Turn 1 (168)

Another guy appears in Nanjing.

It's a Taoist Missionary from Brennus.

Raze Nanjing and start a settler in the Hague. The city spot has Iron.

Turn 2 (169)

Capture a worker that didn't run away. Strange.

Make peace with Mao for Alphabet. Seems like a dumb choice. But it's incase we want to build research. Burn me at the stake if someone goes WFYBTA one us when we need just one tech. I quickly realise Calendar would have been better.

Turn 5 (172)

Joao demands construction.... no.

And he has enough on his hands now. I am not sure if that caused it. I have had leaders send stacks halfway accross the world to get me.

Trade HBR to Rammy for Sailing + 310g. Better than trading him Currency.

Turn 8 (175)

I'm in turnmoil over Caeser's request for a donation of 280g...

I let him have it. Oh, and I realise I forgot to get Calendar.

Only 2 people have it and they don't want to trade it just yet. Give JC Code of Laws for 290g.

Turn 9 (176)

Oh **** off. DeGaulle demands 260g. NO.

WHAT THE EVERLOVING CHRIST IS THIS? CAESER DEMANDS HBR? ISN'T THERE A TIME LIMIT TO THESE THINGS? I let him have it....

Turn 10 (177)

Cry as Brennus asks us to declare on the Egyptians. NO! DAMNIT! NO!

Turn 13 (180)

End! Settler completed! Super picture time!

Next city?

The AI is exceptionally slow this game. Slower than in LK146 I think. This would be even worse if I didn't sell techs for cash to get Civil Service earlier:

Attached Files:

19. mystyfly

No need for that, we can build wealth and turn the slider up. Since we don't have any bldings it doesn't matter which we use.

Good to sell crap techs to the AI. Too bad we lost that gold again :gripe:
    BTW, generally, don't trade for techs as cheap as sailing. OTOH, we aren't likely to hit WFYABTA when there's nothing to trade for :crazyeye:

GOT IT

20. slobberinbear

Very nice trading, Quotey. I find diplomacy is the weakest part of my game, which probably explains why I am a Monarch player.