QuantumProjects Bug Reports

Free promotions should be truly free, as in 'Free Beer'.

They should not cost you XP gain, not be restricted if your at a cap. They are just random bonuses for being a lucky bastard.

If this makes them too frequent or OP then reduce their occurrence rate. The only time a free promotion should not be given out is if there is literally no legal promotions left to give the unit. (And in that case don't tell the player about it, so they'll never know they lost one)

The fact that they eat the xp the unit would've gained from that particular battle is really a worthy tradeoff. Every time you level, and pick a new promotion, the amount of XP needed to get the next is much higher than it was to get to that point.

The amount of XP eaten by the 'free promo' being awarded is roughly equivalent to that needed to get the first promotion. Thus the more they are received, the more promotions your unit has at a lower level and has therefore not been required to get exponentially more XP to get the next one. The tradeoff is pretty fair.

If they were given them for outright free, units would probably gain in power too much from even experiencing one of them. It would push the game further towards luck from strategy at a less tolerable tradeoff, whereas the way it stands is an acceptable semi-luck driven bonus.

Furthermore, keep in mind that a unit has to truly be risked to give it a chance for such a 'free promo'. Battles with 80% odds or more in the unit's favor have a very low chance of giving such a promo. This last factor pushes it back towards strategy and away from luck so that it finds the best balance between.

Mind, I'm defending the mechanism but I didn't create it.

So no, even though it turns out to be fairly solid design theory as it stands, it's only realized to be due to having been questioned. And that's of value. Thank you and you're more than welcome to keep pointing out whatever you see that doesn't sit right.

I truly appreciate, Thunderbrd. Thank you.

Top Bottom