Quattromaster's Gauntlet Event

Trying to pull the information out of us early are ya? :D

Well yes, cause it seems if I wan't to participate I'll have to focus on becoming a QM, which I've not been priortizing since I'd rather acheive it slowly with higher scoring games rather than say dual prince quetcha rushing every game for the MapQuest requirement etc. just so I can be QM tomorrow.

If you think about it though, simply requiring QM status is couterintuitive to the non-cheesy aim of the Elite Gauntlet. Take the top-ranked non-QM, Moonsinger, for example. She needs one map for QM. So she couldn't play Elite right now. But if she does a prince dual Quetcha rush on that map, then she can. I'm not saying she would do that of course, I'm just saying that it's a bit odd to set up a status/Gauntlet with the intention of reducing the cheese factor that actually encourages the use of cheese to get there.

Maybe a minimum QM rating could be considered for non-QM's? Or maybe you're planning on a minimum QM rating for the QM's :eek: Course then depending on the victory condition of a particular gauntlet the latter might exclude somebody who would be very competitive.

Anyway it's your guys call and I'm really grateful for all the hard work you do keeping everything running so that we can even have these challenges in the first place. I'm sure whatever you settle on will be great fun!

Once you filled in both boxes of the major and minor gauntlet, it doesn't make a lot of sense to play in a gauntlet where you can't improve the score you already have. For example, assuming you win G-Major 20 with raging barbs you'll get 36 points. Plus as shyuhe mentioned earlier, a particularly difficult event that gets only a couple of winners is hardly worth it for the non-winner. This last effect could be remedied by scoring gauntlets as for 2nd place 90% of the max score for the submitted game, 80% for 3rd and so on or the normal score whichever is higher. If you really want to encourage gauntlet participation, (and I'm not sure that is really the goal) you could add 2 points for major wins and 1 point for minor wins to the overall score (with 2nd place being 90% (1.8 and .9) 3rd place 80% and so on) in addition to the current score. So every gauntlet submission would be worth something to your overall score assuming you finish in the top 10.

1. The Gauntlets are my favourite part of HoF and Quattromasters

2. The Gauntlets are the main mechanism for requiring at least something non-cheesey in your Quattromaster qualification (e.g. no modern space races or quechua rushes)

3. Quattromaster would be far too easy without the Gauntlet requirements.

I agree.

I would like to see some additional reward to people that participate in several (4+) Gauntlets. If you already have four decent Gauntlet Qscores with relatively large map sizes and high difficulty levels, there is no point in competing in Gauntlets on smaller map sizes or lower difficulty levels, because not even a 1st place would improve your QM Gauntlet score.
Maybe Gauntlet score shouldn't depend on the settings, just on your final position?

One of these two options should be chosen (unless we eliminate the settings-modifiers). If we don't, it will be detrimental to Gauntlet's participation.
Anyway, the question about Gauntlet relates to that. Right now we are considering still including it pretty much as-is except for possibly lowering it's weighting to 15%. That said, any thought about the gauntlet in that context?

Oh, do just the oposite, raise it's weighting to 50%. It is the most competitve
of the cathegories.

On league of Nations for Elite: playing 34 non-cheesy games demonstrates your command of civics and UBs and UUs, but... it is too much work. It sounds terribly tedious. Looks just like work.

On league of Nations for Elite: playing 34 non-cheesy games demonstrates your command of civics and UBs and UUs, but... it is too much work. It sounds terribly tedious. Looks just like work.
I am not sure if I understand this argument. I consider QM as an ongoing competition, where people gradually improves their score by beating their previous scores (and other players scores). During this process, i expect an active QM participant to submit a lot more then 34 games anyway. If that is the case, why not spread your 34+ games on different civs?

I am not sure if I understand this argument. I consider QM as an ongoing competition, where people gradually improves their score by beating their previous scores (and other players scores). During this process, i expect an active QM participant to submit a lot more then 34 games anyway. If that is the case, why not spread your 34+ games on different civs?

I was not thinking about a Quattromaster trying to improve his score, but about a newcomer considering the possibility of entering the Quattromaster's club.

I can submit 1 or 2 HOF games a month. That's part of the reason I am not a Quattromaster.

(Oh, and I didn't mean civics but traits).

Because some of the civs (Aztecs come to mind) are not an ideal civ for any of the victory conditions etc. IMO it's more fun to play an ideal civ every time with the goal of securing #1 table spots than it is to play all 34 civs when most of them don't have a shot at the #1 spot. That's just my opinion of course, but it results in fastest finishes which is a stated goal of the HoF.

We moved it. There is now a "Status" tab on the QM Page now that has the same info.
Yeah, i noticed it right now.
You guys have done a lot of work, thanks for your efforts.
I suppose this is the last change, is all "stable" now?

So, i'm now only a "partial" QM, to regain the full status i need to complete the BtS specific VC, maps and civs? (i think the answer is yes, just to be sure)

Is participation in Elite going to be limited to QM's (or high-ranked QM's) or will it simply be gauntlet with settings that make for a more challenging game on average?
Elite won't "require" that you complete your normal QM Status, but getting there would pretty much help you fulfill you normal QM Status requirements.

I suppose this is the last change, is all "stable" now?
The basic QM competition isn't going to change anymore.

So, i'm now only a "partial" QM, to regain the full status i need to complete the BtS specific VC, maps and civs? (i think the answer is yes, just to be sure)
I prefer to state it as you are a partial QM in the "All Expansions" Division. You maintain your status in the "Vanilla+Warlords" Division.

@All, it should be noted that BTS games do not count for the "Vanilla+Warlords" Division. We thought about just creating a BTS only Division but decided that would be :evil:.

@All, it should be noted that BTS games do not count for the "Vanilla+Warlords" Division. We thought about just creating a BTS only Division but decided that would be :evil:.

That prompts another question - will the current (ie non-Elite) gauntlets be scored separately or one combined ranking for all versions? Or is this open for discussion?

EDIT: Should the current Gauntlets be ranked separately for All versions and Vanilla/Warlords-only. In other words if BTS games don't impact Vanilla/Warlords QM scoring than should BTS Gauntlet results impact Vanilla/Warlords Gauntlet scoring, since Gauntlet is only used for QM scoring. Or am I misunderstanding something?

That prompts another question - will the current (ie non-Elite) gauntlets be scored separately or one combined ranking for all versions? Or is this open for discussion?
I will post a clarification of that in a new thread in a little bit since we are pulling this one off topic and I want everyone to see the explanation.

Oh, do just the oposite, raise it's weighting to 50%. It is the most competitve
of the cathegories.

Raise the weighting for Gauntlets and drop the weighting for League of Nations and Map Quest!

More competition and less tedium.

You heard it here first folks! (Well, it has probably been resounding around these forums and in many peoples' heads for a while...) :scan:

I'd like to participate in these gauntlets (most of my games are gauntlets these days, they are great), but am not a QM, if I become one I want to go the non-cheesy route (all my games are with barbs on, only played as Inca for the high score gauntlet, etc.). It seems a shame to limit entry to QMs only when people are trying to improve their play and eliminate the easy wins just to tick boxes in the QM categories.

It seems a shame to limit entry to QMs only when people are trying to improve their play and eliminate the easy wins just to tick boxes in the QM categories.

Anyone can compete in the gauntlets. You don't have to be a QM. In fact, there is no QM requirement for any of the HOF games. QM is merely a status given to those who have submitted a certain amount and type of game. It's more like an achknowledgement given to those who have met the criteria.

Raise the weighting for Gauntlets and drop the weighting for League of Nations and Map Quest!

More competition and less tedium.

You heard it here first folks! (Well, it has probably been resounding around these forums and in many peoples' heads for a while...) :scan:

Hey map quest and league really gives more weight to those who can score better than most do with inca and pangaea (or some other very decent map). They really need to be higher instead of lower and for example difficulty should be lower rated and maybe victory conditions.

If you just can pull out decent scoring for some of the lesser nations and maps you deserve way more qscore!

-D

I think that you should have experienced all races and all maps to call yourself a Quattromaster. It should be a mixture of experience and skill.

Will the BtS division include regular space race as a requirement?
Yes.

So for the BtS division, you will have to have Vanilla/Warlords games, right?
Yes abd no. As Methos said, you get the required Warlords content with BTS. You don't have to play the Warlords added Civs in Warlords. ;)

The elite levels will also have "Vanilla+Warlords" and "All Expansions" Divisions. "All Expansions" includes all three expansions' Victory Conditions, Map Types, Civs, etc.

Top Bottom