Question about forts

mmmfloorpie

Chieftain
Hi, I have a question about forts. In the Civlopedia it says that forts "act as cities for combat purposes"

So my question is, does that apply to the city defense promotion? If I promote my units to city defense, will they get that bonus in a fort too?

They will give exactly the same combat and defence values as the city. Just make sure that you demolish forts after yourself if you waging a dynamic war. In case enemy outflanks you and uses your forts against you.

I may be wrong, since I rarely use forts for defense anyway except, but I thought I heard mentioned that forts have no effect for the enemy if within your cultural borders. Someone may know the answer.

Generally, I only use forts for their other purposes. For instance, creating canals and hooking up non-BFC resources.

Forts also serve as a port, so that is the main purpose of building those.

Forts also serve as a port, so that is the main purpose of building those.

True, although I would not necessarily classify "port use" as the main purpose. It is an interesting thing to note for inland OCC games and hooking up resources on islands.

Serves as a port? How does that work? If you build it on a shore line?

If you build it on a shoreline with a road to your city, or river, you can connect foreign trade routes or domestic overseas trade routes.

Resources on an island with no city can be connected with a fort to your trade network. I've experienced some unique situations where this came into play.

Also, with the canal effect, ships can dock in coastal forts, as can airships and plans.

If you build it on a shoreline with a road to your city, or river, you can connect foreign trade routes or domestic overseas trade routes.

Resources on an island with no city can be connected with a fort to your trade network. I've experienced some unique situations where this came into play.

Also, with the canal effect, ships can dock in coastal forts, as can airships and plans.

Wow, I had no idea forts could be used for all these things. I wish that if you used them for planes, it would just be an air field... Remember those from Civ 2?

Excellent! I have a particular situation where this strategy will come in useful! Always learn something new...

There's a thread or article somewhere that goes into detail regarding BTS forts. I say BTS as forts were beefed considerably with BTS. Most of this features are not present in prior versions. You can search for it.

I was not around for Civ 2.

Yes they act like cities for the garrison promotion. I use forts for landing my aircrafts, postin an SAM unit there for anti-bombing, missile base is a good idea either. If You want to suprise attack an enemy -behind the lines paratroopers- can jump from forts too. Yeah the forts are pretty much usefull since BTS, not to mention You can also link up resources and build cannals with them ;)

I do recommend if you build them on the coast that you leave a land unit in them. If ships are on a goto command and it works out right when they end a turn, they'll duck into the fort instead of staying at sea which can leave them vulnerable.

All Good stuff. They ARE quite useful.

Add that, like your cities, they also speed healing.

The canal use = very useful for trade, transport, & war. (think Panama & Suez) Plus they are "life savers" when operating a fleet of Privateers. Note that they only be tranversed 2 squares long.

I guess that forts must add resources to the trading network as well because I've noticed that the AI always builds a fort over a resource that isn't within a city's work area.

I guess that forts must add resources to the trading network as well because I've noticed that the AI always builds a fort over a resource that isn't within a city's work area.

So do "Automate Trade Network" workers, for the same reason.

Generally the more units in a tile the enemy spy has a harder job with whatever mischief he was trying to do and yes firendly spy also make it harder for enemy to iniltrate Your fort ;)

If you put a fort for getting a island resource connected, don't forget to put a road under the fort.
A city automatically build a road (even without The Wheel) ; it's a freebee. A fort doesn't.

I use forts many times as "forward air bases" in my own culture borders, just as long as they're a few tiles into my territory. I'll pick a hill or a jungle tile that isn't in any city's BFC and build a fort on it, station a few defenders in it, and fill it with air units (and missiles/tac nukes, once they become available). It makes a good place to put extra aerial defenders to thwart enemy air strikes as well as improve your ability to bomb the ever-living crap out of approaching enemy stacks.

Usually I'll do the same thing on long stretches of coastline if no cities are using the tiles. In addition to the aerial defenders, you can put blimps in them to do recon and spot approaching enemy naval fleets in time to do something about them, BEFORE they can sneak-attack one of your coastal cities. They can also be a place for your own navy to duck into and heal between attacks, since getting to a safe harbor in a city might be hard to do after the attack is done.

Lastly, I almost ALWAYS put a fort on any oil supply I find right as soon as Sci.Method is researched. That way, you will have access to oil on the same turn you research combustion and don't have to wait the three or four turns for a stack of workers to complete an oil rig. If the oil is outside a BFC or in a desert, I'll even just leave the fort there because its a lot tougher for spy missions to destroy.

Top Bottom