QUESTION: how to add unit effects?

Where will these rockets fire from and how do I change where the effect starts?

the structure of the effects entry in the text keys:
Effect:Name_of_Dummy_Node_in_the_Nif:Txt_Key_of_Effect_in_effects.xml

so in the crossbowman.nif the effect (the bolt) starts at the crosbowBolt node
in the changed kf the efect starts at the EFFECT_RocketFire01 node at 0.2667 and at EFFECT_RocketFire01 at 0.3000

the postion (rotation and scale) of this dummy nodes in the nif controls the starting position of the effect.

considerung the second question:
in niskope - render - settings - colors -colors - background

Right I finished it unfortunatly it crashed the game...:mad:

I'll attach the complete file, if you could fix that would be great

Attachments

• Finished with problems.zip
    263.7 KB · Views: 33
There seems to be some kind of problem with the box, because when it is removed, the unit works with no problems.

As a fix, I added the whole cart to the unit and made the unnecessary parts invisible. That was in fact not that easy, because the cart uses some of the textures the box uses as well. I changed the UV of these parts to use other parts of the texture that I made invisible via the alpha channel of the dds file. This can be done with NifSkope with texture->Edit UV. It was just some work to locate the right parts of the UV to modify.

I've added the modified nif and dds to this post. Otherwise the units seems to work so far. The RangedStrike animation looks good. :goodjob:

Attachments

• FixedChokunu.zip
    52.1 KB · Views: 32
forgot to post back :D... THEY ARE GREAT!!!! I will be releasing them soon. The fireworks and the explosions sounds etc are great. the unit works perfectly and now I have to wonder wether I get to use it in one of my mods... we will see :D

Anyway if I wanted to take the greco-roman knight (bts)/Vanilla knight of his horse, so they he acts as a swordsman would what would I do as I get the slight feeling that it's not so simple as I think it would be: delete the horse and give it swordsman animations after renaming it's bones...

Jamie

forgot to post back :D... THEY ARE GREAT!!!! I will be releasing them soon. The fireworks and the explosions sounds etc are great. the unit works perfectly and now I have to wonder wether I get to use it in one of my mods... we will see :D

Anyway if I wanted to take the greco-roman knight (bts)/Vanilla knight of his horse, so they he acts as a swordsman would what would I do as I get the slight feeling that it's not so simple as I think it would be: delete the horse and give it swordsman animations after renaming it's bones...

Jamie
Good work indeed. :goodjob:

About the knight, I'd try a NifSwap before trying to somehow fit the swordman animation to the horseman. You can learn about Nifswapping here.

I'll be away from home for the rest of the week, so I won't be able to help you more for the time being, but of course there are many other helpful people here. ;)

well I read a little of the guide and I decided to try something:

I took the swordsman and made him Bip01 and added the knights sword and shield
Then I replaced the mesh for the body with the knights, looks weird, so I rotated the bones a little until they looked right (still a little off but that can be fixed)

Then I tried loading the animation and it failed so I had to rename back to BIP (the mesh for the knight will not work without Bip01 however when it is added it doesn't mind being changed)

Loaded animation again and it works, have not tried in game though

Is this what you meant by a NifSwap?

That was almost correct. You need to change the knights bones before nifswapping its mesh to the swordman file.

Also rotating the bones often won't have an effect on the animated unit, because does entries will be overriden by the animation file. You'll have to use dummy nodes instead. I can tell you how to use them if you want. :)

ok but also can you walk me through the nifswap because it crashed the game lol...

ok but also can you walk me through the nifswap because it crashed the game lol...
Did you already try it the way you did, but instead of renaming the swordsman bones renaming the knight bones and then putting the knight into the swordman file?

I think I changed the Swordsman yeah definatly

The think is... The walkthrough brought me to a dead end... I find you to be far better at explaining things :)

and what about those dummy nodes?

I have not tried the Knight rename method but I don't really know how to implement this... :confused:

Okay, then rename the nodes from the Knight from Bip01 to BIP. Then follow the instructions that were written by me in this post:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9203025&postcount=3534
Just replace "Geisha" with "Knight" and "Great Artist" with "Swordsman". Also the numbers will be different, but you should manage anyway.

Mmmmm I will try again soon :lol:

Also do you know anything about gloss? Because in Nifscope he didn't look very shiny at all...

or use sceneviewer / nifviewer (it´s the same tool but both names are used here - it´s part of the official max tools - but doesn´t require max) - it can display gloss - but you must have all needed texture in the unit folder (most enviromental textures you will find in the "shared" folder)

[artificial rage]and if you had a problem with my tutorial - why you didn´t asked a question there - and also SaibotLieh post was linked there :mad: [/artificial rage] ;)

I didn't have a problem with it... I just failed because I mixed things the wrong way round

ok, I have not had time to work on my dismounted knight because I have been working on my mod and one of the features I am having implemented with python is a forest contruction...

Basically it gives a unit the ability to make catapults out of forests taking 7 turns (like a worker option) and Baldyr (who has been working on alot of the other features for me) said that I will need to make a button (easy enough) and also make sure there are build animations for all the units who have the ability to take part in this and that is where you come in...

I was thinking of using the worker's animation where he hammers things together but I don't know what to do with it or link it to the build command. The legionaire that is taking the role of advanced swordsman in my mod has the ability to do this (he was originaly created to build roads etc) and somebody disabled the animation or whatever so I need to know how to put that back.

you have seen the legion before (he was the one who jumps up after death) so if you want the current files to have a look at him (or any other Advanced Sworsman units for that matter) then just ask

Thanks,
Jamie

Top Bottom