Question on the protected assets feature

Nares

Emperor
I tried earlier to load this months GOTM (my first), yet encounter a message that the savegame file is protected against mods. I had assumed the asset protection referred directly to restricting access to the WorldBuilder feature, and had read that the use of mods was disallowed.

Some time back, I edited directly into the XML files a handful of new leaders (namely the missing Ind/Phi and Cre/Org leaders as part of a new civ). I'm assuming its this editing that the savegame is conflicting with, despite the basic civs being unmodified.

My question is, before I try to extract the changes I made, is it possible to resolve this conflict by returning my XML files to the original state they were in, or are these files permenantly "tainted" once edited (and presumably still unacceptable even if they were to be returned to their original state).

I'm assuming the XML files are flagged once edited (I find it less probable that the game is comparing every line in them to data located on the game CD, rather than just permenantly flagging the XML file as being edited), and that I would need to either re-install, or find "clean" copies of the XML files to replace those I am currently using (yeah, I know it's a cardinal sin of editing game files to not backup whatever you're intending on editing, but I was unconcerned at the time).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd like to get started on the game before the spoiler threads grow more.

Out of curiousity, why is the 500AD spoiler presented so soon? I'm assuming entries are taken based on a "scout's honor" system, where if you started playing after the spoilers started, that you didn't read from them is purely based on your word.

To check the files' integrity, I suppose the game creates a hash value (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function) for each file to be checked, and compares it to the default one. So to recreate that value, you'd have to reproduce the old XML files exactly, with every character identical (or be immensely lucky).
Instead of editing the default files, use the CustomAssets folder to place your new ones. The game will automatically use them, but when it's not allowed to do so, can revert to the defaults by using the original files in the installation directory.

Thrar said:
Instead of editing the default files, use the CustomAssets folder to place your new ones. The game will automatically use them, but when it's not allowed to do so, can revert to the defaults by using the original files in the installation directory.

Ah, okay. I assume that's how you mod the game. I figured it would be more complicated, given what little searching I did through some of the packaged mods.

As for the editing, it's not as though I changed much. Like I said, I just incorporated one new civ with two new leaders. Easy enough to remove the civ (and all traces of it in various XML files), the leaders and the civilopedia entries.

Thanks for the help.

If you restore your MXL to the original state, the save should load fine.

What you can actually do is copy your altered XML to the Custom Assets directory (under My documents\my games\) which should still allow you to load the new leaders as mods (I think.....)

CustomAssets is the answer. You will always get the new leaders, unless you check the Lock Modified Assets option.

Mods and dual install are way too complicated, unless you like switching between multiple patches/mods.

DaveMcW said:
CustomAssets is the answer. You will always get the new leaders, unless you check the Lock Modified Assets option.

Mods and dual install are way too complicated, unless you like switching between multiple patches/mods.

Will this work with Total Realism to?

Total Realism already comes with a nice installer to drop in your mods folder.

Assets: easy to change, hard to undo, only one mod allowed
CustomAssets: easy to change, easy to undo, only one mod allowed
Mods: hard to create, easy to undo, unlimited mods
Dual Install: hard to set up, hard to undo, unlimited patch versions

I am having problems with the protection. I deleted all my custom assets, didn't work. I reinstalled Civ IV and all three patches and still the game won't load. I get a message that the file is protected and Civ terminates :-\

Any ideas? :o

I believe you may need to trash your cached assets? Not sure how to do that in the Windows version.

Hold down "shift" when the game is starting to delete cached assets IIRC.

BTW - when you uninstalled, did you delete any remaining files in the installation directory?

Secondly - do you have problems loading the starting save - or an autosave from some point during the game?

Unfortunately, holding down shift to erase cache didn't solve my problem. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. It's the starting save I'm trying to load.

A pop-up says "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the game's assets have not been changed" or something like that, and when I press OK, civ halts and I return to my desktop.

There were some files remaining though, it's probably that then. Do you know whether Harkonnen's unofficial patch might be the cause?

Junuxx said:
There were some files remaining though, it's probably that then. Do you know whether Harkonnen's unofficial patch might be the cause?
I don't think its harkonnen's patch - but can't be sure.

If there were files left behind (especially in the assets folder & subfolder) then that is probably the cause. I suggest deleting them, and trying again. :)

Top Bottom