questions about what is possible to do with Civ V modding

Vandal Thorne

Warlord
Hi,

So I had an idea for a Mod but I don't know if it is technically feasible. Perhaps some of the experienced Modders in the community could speak to the following questions.

Feature Question 1:
For my mod I wanted the creation of new cities to take alot more effort. When a settler is expended the player must also spend 100 Gold and purchase the land tile(s) for 25 culture (plus 25 culture for each additional land tile around the new settlement -- up to 6 total) or the new settlement becomes a new city-state.

For example if I'm playing Greece and I want to found my second city (e.g., Sparta) but I can't afford it (insufficient gold / culture to spend) then Sparta is founded as an independent city state.

What kind of changes to the xml records and, presumably, the Lua code, will this take to accomplish? Is such functionality even possible?

Feature Question 2:
When I conquer a city-state that is a city of my CiV, e.g. Greece conquers Sparta from Q1, then the Unhappiness from being conquered should fade over time (1 unhappy / turn). Again, what needs to be changed to achieve this? Is it possible?

Feature Question 3:
I want barbarian camps to be more like micro-city-states with a 1 hex area. They also have a combat strength of 5, like a weak city. When a barb captures a worker it puts it to work improving the tiles around the camp. Likewise, when a barb captures a settler it uses it to make a new camp whose "culture border" is contiguous with the first camp. As above, where would I need to focus attention to accomplish these changes? Are they even possible?

Feature Question 4:
The Barb micro-city-states have economies and support 2 free units per camp. The camps make more units as more funds become available. Likewise their defense goes up and they can buy military and defense improvements. What changes to AI xmls and code need to be made to implement this? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Theoretically, if you wanted to do that, you'd need to add about 200-300 city states to the game code. In the coding, they are seen as "minor civs" rather than CSs. They don't randomly appear. Also, getting the right one when founding a city would be a nightmare.

Theoretically, if you wanted to do that, you'd need to add about 200-300 city states to the game code. In the coding, they are seen as "minor civs" rather than CSs. They don't randomly appear. Also, getting the right one when founding a city would be a nightmare.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. It might have been nice if the CiV data was more semantic. That way class:minor_civ is a subtype of class:civ.

My thought is that there should be a logic layer where any civ can exist as a city-state version of itself using the first city-name in its list that is not already in-game.

This would take one or more modders much more adept than me to accomplish. Since it seems unlikely to find folks to collaborate with, especially given some of the game play changes needed, I think I'll write up the entire outline and post it to the Ideas and Suggestions sub-forum as an idea of what I hope Civ VI will look like.

Top Bottom