1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions & Answers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Rhye, Jul 8, 2006.

1. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Was that a question or an answer?

:confused:

2. morff

morff Warlord

Nevermind :)

I have another question - i would like to get some good idea about AI in Civ IV and Rhye's. Could somebody tell me where to get started? Thanks in advance.

The thinking behind this is, improve AI to go after the UHV milestones; i believe some optimizations could be done simply (like war this, war that, or build this, build that).

Could be fun :)

3. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

I want to include a system of Dynamic Civ Names similar to RFC's in my mod. What Python files will I need to change?

4. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

RFC itself handles them in the DLL. Edead shifted all of this into Python for SoI, I made a similar change in DoC. It's all in the DynamicCivs.py module in both mods, but you also have to modify the EventHandler file so that the new methods are called. Certain triggers for name changes (state religion change and vassalization, iirc) have also been added in the DLL, but if you can do without that, copying/importing the relevant stuff from those two files should suffice.

5. Samson

Samson Deity

I hope RFC Dawn of Civilization questions are welcome here. How do you get Buddhism in this modmod?

6. srpt

srpt Deist

I think Buddhism founds when you build a Hindu temple.

7. Leoreth

That's right. DoC has its own subforum though, so you can take your questions there :)

8. gabij1

gabij1 Chieftain

Im playing as the Germans and i cant keep my civ stable. could you give a list of civics that work together?

9. Leoreth

It's mostly common sense for the combinations: don't combine capitalist and communist civics, and don't combine authoritarian with liberal civics.

If you're expanding as Germany as I assume, it's important to know that Representation and Bureaucracy can get you into trouble because they create large penalties if you own many cities.

10. charity

charity Chieftain

Has anyone gone into more detail explaining the historical victories? The descriptions in the game are rather vague and this has caused me to lose on mere trivialities. Examples: For the Babylonian civ you must make Babylon the largest civ in the world by a certain time. However, I did not place my settlers on the exact spot where Babylon is, so I could not complete that goal. For the English Civ it asks you to found 3 cities on each continent. I took the trouble to do this, but instead of using settlers for them all, I conquered native cities. Little did I know that you must use settlers, and therefore I did not succeed.

11. Samson

Samson Deity

There is a lot of details at the wiki particully the strategy guides though they can be considered serious spoilers.

12. Leoreth

The terminology is actually quite consistent. For example "found" means found, not conquer, and when it says "Babylon" (not Babylonia!), it means Babylon (or Babilû to be precise).

The only goal that's really confusing is the Roman one where you aren't told what "the Roman Empire" entails at all.

13. charity

charity Chieftain

Thanks for trying to help Samson, but that Wiki website sucks. I can never see any of the pages. It always says "page moved here", I click the link and then i get an error message. Is there another site you know of?

14. mitsho

mitsho Deity

no, it doesn't suck, it's just offline... Maybe try to contact Rhye, or does he just link to the wiki... not sure ;)

In any case, there's no other site... sorry.

Maybe, the atlas can help you in seeing the areas, two clicks btw in this forum.

http://rhye.civfanatics.net/civ4/rfc-atlas.htm

15. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

This will get you to the strategy guides.

16. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Professional Bowel Mover

I just upgraded to 3.19 and downloaded RFC Europe and RFC DoC. When I open either of them they won't give an option to play, it has Load Game, Beyond the Sword Content and Play a Scenario, which only has WBQuicksave.

Do I have to update RFC original to 3.19 as well?

17. Leoreth

No, both mods don't need the RFC base mod at all.

Have you tried launching either of them by double clicking the scenario files in Public/Private Maps?

18. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Professional Bowel Mover

Thanks, loading the mod outside of BTS did it for me.

19. skyclad

skyclad Prince

A few questions ab the roman uhv:

Do the romans need three cities in italy as I've heard some places, or does it not matter?

If they need 3, does a city on the island with the sheep count?

Would it help my stability to settle all of the italian peninsula or should I try to keep my nr of cities down? (I try to control all of rome at its peak along the mediterranean so I will be stretched thin as it is.) What do you think of this strat, any advice?

Is any place on the balkan coast safe from the german flip?

Thank you guys a lot!

20. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

You don't need any cities in Italy for the UHV condition to successfully trigger. You need:
    • 1 city in England
    • 3 cities in France
    • 2 cities in Spain
    • 2 cities in Carthage
    Also, see picture further down this post for the exact tiles which apply for each of the above areas.

That island is really two islands called Sardinia and Corsica. But Rhye had to join them together into a single two-tile land mass due to space limitations.
    Ownership of the tiles on the island has no effect on any of the UHV areas for Rome, and is also not part of the Roman core area.

There is no stability bonus for settling all of the Italian peninsula. There are various stability penalties that start to take effect as your empire grows. The decisions you make as to where you place each city will affect how soon these penalties start to kick in.

The first 32 tiles that you control attract no stability penalty whatsoever. After that, a small stability penalty is generated for each tile beyond 32 tiles you control. This penalty per-tile is actually really small to start out, but as the number of tiles you own grows the penalty per-tile increases.

Additionally, tiles beyond the first 32 may also attract a stability penalty if they are outside of your core area (i.e. the zone that you flip when your civ spawns - the Italian peninsula for Rome). The penalty for tiles that are part of another civ's core area is largest and larger than the penalty for neutral tiles within your historical area, which is larger than the penalty for neutral tiles outside your historical area, whilst tiles in your core area do not attract this additional penalty.

So there are two factors at play. The total number of tiles that you control (within your cultural borders, water tiles don't count); and whether you control tiles within your core area, neutral historical areas, neutral ahistorical areas or within another civ's core area.

If you have claimed all of the tiles around the Mediterranean, you will probably have some tiles that are part of the core areas of up to nine other civs. And this is going to attract some stability penalties (in the expansion category). The penalties aren't that large in isolation per civ that you occupy part of their core area, but will start to add up if you control the entire Mediterranean.
    I assume you mean the Adriatic Sea coastline. There are only two tiles on the Adriatic coast which flip to Germany (see picture below). There are plenty of city-site options along the Adriatic as Rome which will not flip to Germany.