Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turner

Deity
Retired Moderator

Quick Questions & "Newbie" Questions

You want to know something and can't find it in the FAQ?

Ask here!

Got a 'newbie' question?

Ask here!

Don't bother to read through the entire thread, just ask!

Lots of people are willing to help.

Please DO read throught the relevant section of the FAQ thread (which is also a sticky) before you post though.

(If you really want the previous thread, it's here.)

It's a rare thing for an AI to end the game with a clean rep. You can pretty much guarantee that every one of the will do at least one of the following during a game:
- Declare war before a 20-turn deal expires.
- RoP rape someone (this includes declaring war with units in an opponent's territory, but no actual RoP agreement in place).
- Sign a peace treaty with a common enemy before 20 turns of alliance are up.

What I have no idea of, is do these treacherous acts have any bearing on this AI's attitude/rep w.r.t. the other AIs?

When you destroy a civ that has more techs than you do you get all those techs??

Nope :( ISTR that in SMAC/X, you could gain techs by capturing bases/wiping out enemies. But not so in Civ3, more's the pity :sad:

axehaxe said:
When you destroy a civ that has more techs than you do you get all those techs??

Nope, I don't think that ever happened in Civ. In Civ2, maybe Civ1, when you took an enemy city you could take one of their techs. But that was taken out for Civ3. I prefer it this way, myself. Easier to dictate what terms I'm going to set when selling the techs to the AI.

eldar said:
It's a rare thing for an AI to end the game with a clean rep. You can pretty much guarantee that every one of the will do at least one of the following during a game:
- Declare war before a 20-turn deal expires.
- RoP rape someone (this includes declaring war with units in an opponent's territory, but no actual RoP agreement in place).
- Sign a peace treaty with a common enemy before 20 turns of alliance are up.

What I have no idea of, is do these treacherous acts have any bearing on this AI's attitude/rep w.r.t. the other AIs?
Yes, the AI responds to civs with rep hits the same way, whether it's another AI or the human player. About the only time the player is checked for being human is *after* it has decided to deal, it checks to see the *value* of the deal, because the AI gives discounts to the other AIs, relative to the human player.

So you can significly slow down the tech pace by signing alliances and making the AI to trash their reputation.

Is there an option in the editor for making yourself have the 40%build rate like the Sid AI?, just want to know how it feels like. ;)

The AI always gangs up and flattens me.I saw something about this in the FAQ's and am trying to build embassy's but can't work out how to.The manual say's...D/Click Foreign Ministry icon,ok.....a menu opens listing civs...ok.The cost in gold of establishing an Embassy....can't see this,I am only seeing a total of my gold.Most of the options on the screen are greyed out,(yes I have discovered writing)I've tried clicking eg.Establish Embassy,Egypt,Memphis,etc but nothing works and most of the options including 'Activate'are still greyed out.
The FAQ did'nt help me,it only say's how to access the screen but not what to do when you get there.
Hope someone can help,this is why I lost interest several months ago and I've just returned to try again.
Terry

deepace said:
I've tried clicking eg.Establish Embassy,Egypt,Memphis,etc
After that you should be able to select one of the options immediately/normal/safely (or something like that), where the cost of that action is displayed as well. Choose one (it´s all the same whenn establishing an embassy) and click okay. Note that if you have insufficient funds, those options will be greyed out. I can´t see what else might be the problem.

I always sign ROP with a civ thats about to attack me (I know because they have a stack right outside of one of my cities) and let them attack me so that their reputation would get damaged even more and they will have a harder time finding allies compared to me for the rest of the game.

If you capture a city that has the great library, does it give you the effect of the wonder kind of like magellen's voyage?

@axehaxe,
they'll already get the maximum RoP reputation hit if they attack you while in your territory and without war declaration. Meanwhile, if you give it to them, more of your cities will be in their reach (especially if you have rails), and they may decide to change the attack target and go take a lightly defended city of yours first. As only the first attacker will be able to use your road network this may not be such a big problem unless you do like me, i.e. defend mainly the border cities and keep most of your empire empty.
And to the second question, if you capture the GL and you don't have education, it'll get you all the techs eligible (known by 2 civs). But if you have education, all you can get is some more commerce later (tourism) that pays for higher flip risk... There are quite some SGs that have used this, some of them go up 2 ages when they capture it.

Yes. You get all the techs known to at least 2 civs you know.

Edit: Oh, Khan was faster and more precise than me :)

axehaxe said:
If you capture a city that has the great library, does it give you the effect of the wonder kind of like magellen's voyage?

There's a trick where you build the Great Library in a city inside your borders. Right before education, you gift that city to the AI. You then research up to Military Tradition, and start building a big army of Calvary. When you see two of the AIs running around with Infantry, you declare on the civ you gifted the city to, and recapture the GL. You then get all the techs any two of the AI have.

So if you do it right, you can get more than just up to education from the AI when you take the Great Library.

@axehaxe,
they'll already get the maximum RoP reputation hit if they attack you while in your territory and without war declaration. Meanwhile, if you give it to them, more of your cities will be in their reach (especially if you have rails), and they may decide to change the attack target and go take a lightly defended city of yours first. As only the first attacker will be able to use your road network this may not be such a big problem unless you do like me, i.e. defend mainly the border cities and keep most of your empire empty.

Last night I signed an ROP with the aztecs the turn before they attacked my cities to try to see if they won't attack me but regardless of the ROP they did and they went for the same exact city they had intended before the sign. Good thing I had about 10 archers in that city already intended for the egyptians but the aztecs got the shaft instead by attacking me. They stacked about 8 horsemen in two separate stacks (3 and 5 behind the three) next to the city and i had a forest as a buffer to make the 3 stack waste a turn so my archers got clean shots at the 5 stack and did very well. They even defended against the 3 stack taking out all 3 with no losses thanx to the RNG gods! In my last game i noticed this with the dutch too. I had already and ROP with them, they were polite, but suddenly I see a stack of about 15 horsemen at one of my border cities. They attacked that city and didn't take advantage of the ROP to attack my corer cities. So it seems, when an AI decides to declare war using the stack, they already know which city they want to attack and never change their mind.

There's a trick where you build the Great Library in a city inside your borders. Right before education, you gift that city to the AI. You then research up to Military Tradition, and start building a big army of Calvary. When you see two of the AIs running around with Infantry, you declare on the civ you gifted the city to, and recapture the GL. You then get all the techs any two of the AI have.

So if you do it right, you can get more than just up to education from the AI when you take the Great Library.

Thats just plain amazing!! I've never heard of this one before and this trick almost clearly means I am going to win the emperor game i'm playing currently. Reason why is because I had already attacked arabia twice to do some pointy stick research and they had 3 cities left. I have no idea how but they finished the great library!!!! Could things get any better????!!! Not only that but the city that has it is really close to my capital so I have no problem attacking and capturing it! then when time comes for education about to be discovered, I give it back to the arabians. Then self research all the way to Mil Trad and then retake the city! This is so sweet!!!

One question though, do you have to gift it to them the exact turn before education or just before education in general?

haha, it does seem like an exploit though. Some people could i guess consider it cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom