Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

==TyBoy: I believe that when you say a praetorian gains more (1.6 v 1.2) from a city raider promotion that's not really the way it works. It appears to me that non-combat upgrades are tallied up between both units then the resulting % modifies the defenders #. So in that case if the praet had +20% from city raider and the theoretical archer had no bonus (not possible, but theoretically) the calculation would be 8.00 vs 2.20, rather than 9.6 vs 3.00. I have no idea how it translates these numbers into odds so maybe it's not important. And the point stands that praets pound archers into the ground anyway.==

I suspect he's right, can anyone tell us?

He's right. In civ 4, all modifiers except the strength modifier are applied to the defender (in a positive or negative way). Not that it matters anyway, it's all about the relative strength difference anyway.

The other day I was about to achieve a space race win in 6 turns, but instead I got a diplomatic victory at that time. I just wondered then, if those (or any other sort of victory condition) happened simultaneously, which one would take precedence. I searched this thread and couldn't find an answer. Any hints:

Conquistador 63 said:
The other day I was about to achieve a space race win in 6 turns, but instead I got a diplomatic victory at that time. I just wondered then, if those (or any other sort of victory condition) happened simultaneously, which one would take precedence. I searched this thread and couldn't find an answer. Any hints:
Use http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=170276 to complete your spaceship on the same turn as the diplo win and find out for yourself.

a4phantom said:
The bridges never actually exist on the map. A civilization with Construction's units never suffer movement the penalty, even out in the wilderness or in the territory of a civ without Construction, and a civ without Construction's units will always suffer the movement penalty. Basically once you get Con your units carry bridges around with them, or instantly build and demolish them every time they cross a river :)

Edited to remove ambiguity about which "penalty", thanks LC

Bridges do appear on the map if you have a road on adjacent tiles either side of the river.

Just uploaded a save game and saw that there is an option for Civ4replay... Now I didn't know that such feature exist :/ but I would be all over it in a heartbit, watching replays from some good games around.
Now is it replay like Warcraft/Starcraft ones where you can watch all the units on the map or?
That could really help me improve my game...

Melhisedek said:
Just uploaded a save game and saw that there is an option for Civ4replay... Now I didn't know that such feature exist :/ but I would be all over it in a heartbit, watching replays from some good games around.
Now is it replay like Warcraft/Starcraft ones where you can watch all the units on the map or?
That could really help me improve my game...

No you do not get to see unit movement, battles etc in a replay.

The replay shows all the Civs city founding and cultural borders grow on a mini-map. Key events a re listed at the side.

I noticed that a tech says that Bridge building is enabled (Enigineering). What exactly does this give me?

p dandy said:
I noticed that a tech says that Bridge building is enabled (Enigineering). What exactly does this give me?

Before engineering, roads don't give any movement bonus when crossing a river (if you cross a river on a road, its like the road wasn't even built)

After engineering, roads DO work when crossing rivers.

jayron32 said:
Before engineering, roads don't give any movement bonus when crossing a river (if you cross a river on a road, its like the road wasn't even built)

After engineering, roads DO work when crossing rivers.
I believe it's construction, not engineering. Engineering just increases movement to 3.

Originally Posted by a4phantom
The bridges never actually exist on the map. A civilization with Construction's units never suffer movement the penalty, even out in the wilderness or in the territory of a civ without Construction, and a civ without Construction's units will always suffer the movement penalty. Basically once you get Con your units carry bridges around with them, or instantly build and demolish them every time they cross a river

Harrier said:
Bridges do appear on the map if you have a road on adjacent tiles either side of the river.

But they don't actually physically exist. Crossing rivers without movement penalties is a quality of the unit/civ, not of there being anything besides roads there on the map.

Gherald "I believe it's construction, not engineering. Engineering just increases movement to 3."
That's right.

a4phantom said:
But they don't actually physically exist. Crossing rivers without movement penalties is a quality of the unit/civ, not of there being anything besides roads there on the map.

Yes but they do physically appear on the map. But i think they only appear on crossings built after contruction. Because I just checked my map and i had a brigde over some of my road crossings and on some there werent a brigde. Also all my railroad crossings had a bridge, and they are all built after contruction.

is there anyway i can turn off mad civizations cuz i played a team game started in ren (S-P) i spent more of my time turing 2 stop mad pl in citys

==Yes but they do physically appear on the map. But i think they only appear on crossings built after contruction. Because I just checked my map and i had a brigde over some of my road crossings and on some there werent a brigde. Also all my railroad crossings had a bridge, and they are all built after contruction.==

OK.

I'm sure the answer to this is hidden somewhere in the documentation or amongst these threads, but the shear mass of expertise out there is overwhelming me .. hence the post to this thread ....

Having enjoyed a few games (and got to victory in fewer) of Civ4, I installed SEVOMOD, using the very simple instructions with the download.

I'd now like to try the Fall From Heaven mod which looks great (something to kill many more hours / days /weeks) of time I should be spending doing something else. I want to be able to switch back to the "normal" game, including SEVOMOD, and I'm a bit wary of losing the various links. Can anyone reassure me, or tell me how to make sure both are available and choosable please ???

Also, if I pick up a new unit, new building or fairly small mod like that ... how do I install it, without losing all the SEVOMOD stuff ?

IanM

As this was the newbie section I was wondering if I could ask for some help with mods.
I have downloaded several mods, placed them in the Civ4 mods folder,checked they worked with v1.61(which they did)Then in the game I loaded one of the mods up,and played a game but nothing was different. I then tried it with the other mods and still nothing different was coming up!
Have I done something wrong?Please help!:confused:

tiny01 said:
As this was the newbie section I was wondering if I could ask for some help with mods.
I have downloaded several mods, placed them in the Civ4 mods folder,checked they worked with v1.61(which they did)Then in the game I loaded one of the mods up,and played a game but nothing was different. I then tried it with the other mods and still nothing different was coming up!
Have I done something wrong?Please help!:confused:

unzip them

For some unknown reason my game doesn't allow me to use tech trading. I have clicked off "No tech trading", reset all options to default and i still cant trade techs whether it is "play now" or "custom game":mad:

Can somebody PLEASE HELP ME:)

Top Bottom