1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Melhisedek

Melhisedek Prince

As a matter of fact I do use Better AI :) So as there weren't any wars besides the one started by me I wanted to check if other civs are going some alternate route perhaps :)

Back to questions ;)

Lets say I'm in the middle between England and Spain, I get Spain to declare war on England and open borders with them... Will they go over my land to fight with Eng or ?

2. Greeneyedzombie

Greeneyedzombie King

they will use your land as battleground. if you don't open borders with one of them, they will send their navy to each other. But no real fighting will occur.
    If your supporting spain then you should open borders with spain and keep the borders closed with england. this way, spain is free to harras england with out much risk of retrobution from england. if it doensn't matter who wins open borders with both of them.

3. Melhisedek

Melhisedek Prince

Hmmm what does Coal Plant do? It says it produces energy from coal. What energy do I use? Any changes to hammers/commerce/food from building a coal plant?

4. Greeneyedzombie

Greeneyedzombie King

coalplant needs coal.
    nuclearplant needs uranium
    hydroplant needs a river adjecent to your city.
    It will increas the output of hammers from your factory.
    with factory you will have a 25% increase in hammers. with a powerplant it will be 50% increase in hammers from your factory.

5. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

The wording in the above quoted post can be read in two ways. So to make sure it is read right: with a powerplant and a factory, it will be a 75% increase in hammers, 25% from the factory and another 50% from the a factory with powersupply.

Further powerplants of different types do not increase the hammer output further. A factory is either suplied with power or not. Some powerplants do have downsides (coal plant for instance gives 2 unhealthiness). Adding another powerplant removes these downsides.

6. Melhisedek

Melhisedek Prince

Thanks folks, it didn't say anything about +hammers on my tooltip. I was like, why do I want +2 unhealthiness with no bonus at all :D

7. Greeneyedzombie

Greeneyedzombie King

Your sure its 75%??
    I thought that the powerplant would increase the production bonus to 50% from the factory. that it would surplant the 25% bonus from the factory.

8. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

It's in the civilopedia entry of the factory.

I'm very sure. You can test it the next time you build a power plant. Just mouse over the total hammer production in the city before and after you've build a power plant and you'll see an increase of 50% of the production output.

9. Melhisedek

Melhisedek Prince

Thanks Roland!

If I "make" someone go into war with someone else... Do I have to follow in? Will I get some negative reputation/diplo score or something? (They aren't my vassal and we have no defense pact)

Thought is to start a bunch of wars on my continent and than clear up what is left :D

10. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

No, you don't have to follow in. But the one that is being declared war upon will not like the fact that you bribed someone to attack them (-1 diplomacy effect with them). And furthermore, you might be asked by various parties in the war if you would like to join the conflict. If you refuse, then you will get a small diplomatic penalty with them (-1), if you give in, then you'll be at war and of course the one that you're at war with won't like you.

That can work as long as both sides in the war are comparable in strength. You don't want a weaker nation being defeated and absorbed by a stronger one. Also, you need a lot of bribing material (technologies, gold) to bribe nations into war and some nations will refuse to attack their allies or nations that are far stronger then them. But if you can pull it off, then it can be quite efficient.

11. Melhisedek

Melhisedek Prince

Well night is still young I just gotta see if I can pull this one off ;)

Thanks again Roland!

12. Melhisedek

Melhisedek Prince

Well it wasn't that easy :) Like you said, the stronger guy was getting even stronger so I had to jump in and take what was left from the weaker one.

But damn modern age music is awful :suicide:

13. LordWeazelNobil

LordWeazelNobil Chieftain

Usually it depends on catapult's promo: CitStk or with ColatDam.

Workers will scidatle if not caught within the city when captured; barbarians are good at that. If U need th workers catch'em on th front.

14. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

This is correct, It's quite painful even...you can go into the options screen then audio, and get the game to play music from a custom location somewhere else on your computer.

15. Melhisedek

Melhisedek Prince

How much culture is regarded as legendary?

16. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Depends on the game speed.

Quick - 25,000
    Normal - 50,000
    Epic - 75,000
    Marathon - 150,000

17. Greeneyedzombie

Greeneyedzombie King

recently been playing with the japanese, and their UB is the shale plant. it gives a 10% bonus to production. Will this bonus stay in effect even when you build another powerplant?

18. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

It should do. But why would you want to build another power plant? There is zero point, as all that power plants do are to provide power. One power plant will give you power for the +50% production bonus from the factory; subsequent power plants will do nothing. Thus, you're completely wasting your shields if you build more than one power plant, as far as I know. :)

19. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Isn't it true that the negative effects of one powerplant can be removed by building another. I thought so.

Say you build a coal power plant and get the 2 unhealthiness penalty and then build a hydro plant. I thought the 2 unhealthiness penalty would dissapear. But that's of course a lot of hammers to remove a small negative from a building, not very efficient.

20. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I just upgraded two grenadiers to infantry, one with 14/17 experience and the other with 16/17 experience. I was planning on getting one of them to level 5, to build West Point. After the upgrade, they were both 10/10 experience! Is this supposed to happen with an upgrade or did I get some kind of a glitch? I am playing vanilla CIV.