1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

I'm not sure if they messed up the settlers. I think it's a thought through choice of the game designers. In a normal game of civIV where you start in the ancient age, the 150 hammer settler is extremely expensive and takes a long time to build. If the cost would be the same in a future start game, then the expansion period would be very short.

In a future era start, the cities also start with many trade routes and a courthouse and at size 5. This means that a city can easily make enough profit to maintain itself from the moment it is constructed. So in contrast to a normal ancient age start, there is nothing stopping a rapid expansion strategy.

The only way to keep expansion somewhat interesting is by dramatically increasing the cost of settlers. If you realise that you get a size 5 city with some 10 buildings, then the cost of the settler is actually fairly cheap compared to the normal ancient era settler cost.

The reason that civilization IV doesn't have 5 move modern armor (or something like that) is that this would result in 1 turn wars. At present the cultural borders result in wars where it takes time to conquer a nation and this keeps wars interesting and costly. Single turn wars would probably be bad for gameplay. Even 3 move land units are hard to stop with cultural borders. They can often reach the enemy city in the turn that they start from your own territory. And once you conquer the enemy city, the rest of your modern armor could use much of the enemies railroad squares.

I can imagine that 3 move land units might still work for modern armor without seriously unbalancing gameplay, but 4 or more would probably result in boring gameplay.

By the way, I noticed that in your description of the gameplay which you like, you're purposefully removing huge chunks of the game until you're left with a fairly straightforward wargame. Wouldn't you enjoy a pure wargame more than civilization IV? Such games often pay more attention to the balance and realism of war which seems to be something that you're looking for.

2. Trivas

Trivas Chieftain

I play many war games and RTS's, but Civ is much more advanced in that it has diplomacy, trade, larger scale movement and tons of other stuff. I have played the full scale unedited stuff, but I play this way because I want to have the big war style game. I have won on every style except culture (though I could have on one if I left that checked). I guess I play this for the same reason people play WWII mods and other stuff. On Civ III, modern armor had three movement, I think, either that or four and it worked out well. here, even when you do conquer an enemy city, often times, the culture from the other cities remains and I can rarely gain any land or open squares. I also once played a super giant world map with all the CivIII Conquests teams from start in the ancient era to way post modern and, due to the size of the map, had about 300 cities and 2000 modern armor, 1000 mech infantry, and just tons of other stuff. LOL, each turn took about 10 minutes to let the computer cycle through it was so big, but that was almost entirely unedited (I think I removed global warming).

I did not know that settlers were that expensive to begin with (150). I don't remember them being that way in the original Civ IV and I did absolutely no editing whatsoever in my games. If they are that much, then why did I get several times when they were 63 and why does it constantly change every time I load up the game again? That is what is mystifying me, not that it is high, but that it is changing.

3. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give some brief instructions on how to change the game's autosave frequency. I think I've read it somewhere before but can't remember where. It gets a bit tiresome having to replay up to 5 whole turns when the computer crashes near the end of a long game - it can be an hour or more of lost playtime, so I'd like to figure out how to set it to make autosaves every turn (and maybe save the last 10 or so rather than 5). Thanks. :)

4. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

It depends on the game speed. ;) Settlers cost 150 hammers on Epic speed; 67 hammers on Quick speed; 100 hammers on Normal speed; and 300 hammers on Marathon speed (200 hammers pre-BTS).

5. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Really simple...Whichever version of CIVIV your playing will include a CivilizationIV.ini file in its directory. Find it and alter this line

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
    AutoSaveInterval = 4

To whatever you want the number of turns to be between autosaves. Then save the file and you're done.....

EDIT:- Sorry to make things clearer (and to answer both parts if I actually read your post properly), then find the same file and change these 2 numbers (my bold)

; The maximum number of autosaves kept in the directory before being deleted.
    MaxAutoSaves = 5

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
    AutoSaveInterval = 4

Change the 5 to a 10 and the 4 to a 1 .

Now save the file and you're done :)

6. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Cool. Where do I find the ini file if I'm just playing the regular, unmodded Civ4 game though? All of the ini files that I can locate seem to be to do with mods. Do I first have to make a mod to change the ini file for the savegame frequency? Or am I missing something?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here. :)

Attached Files:

7. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

My Documents\My Games\nameofgame

8. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Yep as Ggganz said above....

Looks like you have windows XP, so just click my documents from start menu, then double click "my games" file icon, then double click the "Civ Iv" folder icon. The .ini should be on the next screen. Double click to open it, and scroll about half way down to find the relevant lines.Change and exit, saving changes on exit.

9. Way_Traveler

Way_Traveler Warlord

The University of Sankore: Does its +2 beaker per state religion building mean only my religious building, or the whole world's? Same for Versailles, Notre Dame, etc. Thanks in advance!

10. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Sankore, just your own religious buildings of your State Relgion, no-one elses.

Versailles just acts as a 3rd Palace to you, and you only.

Notre Dame, just extra happiness to your own cities on the continent it resides.

11. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Alternatively, you can follow the quick link called _Civ4Config from the directory where you installed the game. There is a quick link called _Civ4Config in the main civilization 4 folder, one in the Warlords subfolder and one in the Beyond the Sword subfolder. These link to the relevant configuration files.

12. ggganz

Yes. But for anyone using Vista (which he's not) those shortcuts won't work. So I gave the way that will ALWAYS work. :smug:

13. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Don't these links exist for anyone using Vista? I didn't know that. Pretty weird.

14. ggganz

The shortcuts in the folder link to %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Games\nameofgame. But in Vista the folder is actually located in %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH\Documents\My Games\nameofgame.

15. Illusion13

Illusion13 King

How long does it take for the "The whole world hates you" unhappiness to go away after you defy an Apolistic Palace resolution?

16. Trivas

Trivas Chieftain

I am on quick speed and it costs anywhere from 322 to 303 depending on what it wants every time I load it back up. Looks kind of funky to me, especially with the variety. I wonder if my game got the speeds switched up when I added the patch. I will look further into it, but for the game I have going, at least it seems the comp is getting used to it and are expanding. I was afraid they would not.

17. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Thanks for the help, got it sorted. :)

That sounds very weird. Are you sure that you are talking about hammers? And that you are not counting overflow? Perhaps you could provide a screenshot or a savegame so that we can see what you are talking about and understand your situation better.

18. Trivas

Trivas Chieftain

I am talking about hammers/production and not overflow. I am not going by production time, but by the exact cost. I have gotten 322, 316, 303 (a popular one), and now, it decided to go for 300.

LOL, when I was loading the game to make screen shots, the hint was about pressing print screen and that it would save the screenshot in the folder. I have never gotten that hint before until today. Mighty coincidence.

There is the value of the settler, then I took a screenshot of the stats showing that it was in Quick mode, not marathon. It is not bothering me much now since it does make expanding more difficult and the computer seems to have gotten a hang of it and has expanded nicely, but it is curious.

Oh, in that one shot, you can see that the caravel (I believe) is still buyable. I don't know why, I have all the techs discovered, Iron, Oil, Coal, Copper, and Aluminum, yet it just won't go away like the rest of the things despite my not touching anything. Yet another annoyance, but not a big one.

Attached Files:

19. wkndwrrr

wkndwrrr Warlord

Which leader would you say is the best for a (relatively) peaceful expansionist who prefers to spend most of his time teching up and building wonders? The whole aggressive-expansion thing always seems to end up with me being repulsed and way behind in score.

20. yutui

yutui Chieftain

Sorry if this has been asked, but what stops the AI from settling in the beginning of the game?
    My last game was the first time I have played a game which the AI didn't instantly settle. I was playing a Duel Map as Joao on Warlord level and 4 turns into the game I received a conquest victory. The post-game info showed my opposition didn't settle a city. If barbarian animals were around, surely the AI would settle the settler. So does anyone know what causes them to not settle other than really bad land? (and there wasn't really any bad land I could see)