1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Ginger_Ale, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Krupo

Krupo Old-time newsgrouper

As far as I can tell, no, you have to manually arm them, which is a bit of a pain - you have to trade-off between having people ready to fight and keeping production up.

For all the odd things about Col2, I do like the fact that the link between people/fighters is so real - the economy can shut down if you're going on the warpath...

2. Krupo

Krupo Old-time newsgrouper

#1 - I've seen random forests pop up, but rarely.

#2 - trading with Indians can be a good idea - remember that you can enter their villages with a dude to talk to the chief and find out what they really want. Unfortunately, it's usually guns, horses and tools (trade goods suck after your first sale). If you have extra g/h/t, though, and the Indians aren't a threat to you, it might be worth selling to them (especially if it gives your European opponents a headache!).

I remember seeing these Apaches braves running around with guns, and I asked myself, which idiot sold them guns? I blamed the French.

#3 - haven't figured out whether it's better to just settle two colonies right away, or make one and maybe improve it quickly. I'm leaning towards the "mega-food colony" approach as I find having enough people is my key challenge.

#4 - this is almost a "classic" Microprose game, in the sense that you could either set up a series of note-cards or simply run a spreadsheet on a second monitor to track all this data to come up with the best results. The scary thing is the prices overall are pretty similar to what they were in Col1, and I can remember what those ranges are (1/9 food, 1/4 lumber, 19/20 silver, etc.). If you play it long enough you may just end up memorizing some of it.

The biggest challenge, I find, is remembering "how many tools did I have in that city?", in case I want to protest a tax hike but don't want to have too many goods tossed into the harbour.

I'm getting sorely tempted to revert to the Col1 tactic of keeping all my junk in non-coastal cities to avoid this problem...

#5 - maybe a good mod can fix that; I usually send them out immediately unless I'm waiting for something special.

3. Berba

Berba Warlord

What's the difficulty-levels in Colonization, i don't have the game because someone ,who works in a game-store, said that Colonization delayed in Europe to thursday (this week)...
    Is that true??

4. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

Yeah that was my tactic too, unfortunately it doesn't work here. The King can target your inland cities too.

5. pokerskatershar

pokerskatershar Chieftain

I know the laughter will follow, but I just got this game yesterday. I have never played the colonization game before and only the CIV IV. Anyway, my question is, how do I get the people to build stuff? For example, the worker in CIV IV builds roads, mines, buildings, etc. I started the Colonization game, had a person, walked him over to what looked like a field and nothing came up. Is the "worker" not part of this game? I am extremely confused.:confused:
    Thanks

6. PsiRedEye22

PsiRedEye22 Chieftain

The Pioneer is the "worker".

My question is: What's a good number of colonies to have, and what's the general time span to get them?

7. pokerskatershar

How do I make the Pioneer work? I put him over a field and they do not do anything.
    Thanks

8. PaintItBlue

PaintItBlue Chieftain

hey, in the city screen when you send out a "colonist" (meaning any of the msnry, pioneer, soldier colonist etc. units). There is one button to make a pioneer, you also need 50 tools while he is in the field, they are returned when he checks back in to produce or craft. I would HIGHLY reccomend using a "hardy pioneer" as much as possible for improving. These guys build close to 2 :1 to a stock pioneer. ok maybe 33% quicker don;t know actually modifier, but it PAYS off, try putting a farm on sugared marshes with a stock pioneer.... i think it was like 13 turns or something insane

9. pokerskatershar

Excellent. Thank you very much.

10. bmc

bmc Chieftain

how do you produce ore?

how do you create a pioneer? ( i think thats what its called, whatever the unit is that makes improvements.)

11. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Assign a colonist to work a tile that produces ore by clicking and dragging him to that tile in the city screen. An expert ore miner will get you the most benefit, especially from tiles with iron or hills.

Either import one from Europe (pay for a Hardy Pioneer, or get an immigrant), or convert a normal colonist to one at the expense of 50 (on Normal speed) Tools. You can click the "Change Profession" button to do so.

12. bmc

bmc Chieftain

i tried changing professions, but for some reason pioneer wasnt listed? unless im just blind...

13. Keeper_GFA

Keeper_GFA Prince

Did you have 50 tools?

14. SoupLLJK

SoupLLJK Chieftain

What are the "Time" and "Europe" victory conditions? I understand the Independence victory, where I win if I defeat the king, but what do these others do? I want to play a custom game where I can take however long I want before declaring independence.

15. Armandeus

Armandeus Warlord

Why won't Take2 allow Steam users in Japan like me buy the English version of the game through Steam? Why are they locking out certain regions? Don't they want my money?

16. ctmarco3

ctmarco3 Chieftain

How do you actually "make" a soldier?
    I know you need so many guns but than what?

17. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

In the colony screen, move a colonist to the garrison (click and drag). You will see a list of options for him, including soldier (if you have 50 guns in that colony) or dragoon (50 guns + 50 horses). Otherwise you can double click on him for an extended list of options.

18. ctmarco3

ctmarco3 Chieftain

"garrison" ? I don't think I have ever seen that building...how do I get a garrison? do I have to build other buildings first maybe?

19. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

The 'garrison' is on the lower right of the colony screen, beside 'transports'.

20. Sorceresss

Sorceresss Witch

Today, I started my second game (as the Dutch) on the huge Western Hemisphere map. I restarted 6 times, because I was frustrated to find so many Indian villages all along the coasts.

Q > What do you do if the coasts are so crowded ?