Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

If one of my cities is attacked, do the colonists take up arms automatically (assuming that there are enough guns)?

What I want to know is if I need to have soldiers guarding my cities, or if I can let the soldiers work in the city and just have the weapons in reserve.

As far as I can tell, no, you have to manually arm them, which is a bit of a pain - you have to trade-off between having people ready to fight and keeping production up.

For all the odd things about Col2, I do like the fact that the link between people/fighters is so real - the economy can shut down if you're going on the warpath...

1.) Do random forests appear, and do light forests turn into regular forests? Are either of those two situations affected by an improvement being on the tile.

2.)What is typically the best opening to make some money, i have been trying to buy like 4 or 6 colonists from europe while toting back about 20-30 cigs or cloth each of the 2 or 3 trips. I try to sell off to the indians if they aren't too much of a detour, even though they only buy at about ~75% of europe prices i am trying to avoid the tax increase for extra sales.

3.)What is typically the best thing to do with a soldier and hardy pioneer start? I have been settling soldier, and using hardy to get info on 1x tile away tribes. Then either improve if I need food or settle in the capital, and make some cigs/cloth from the indian's purcahsed resources and small 3x/4x of resources that trickles from city square.

4.)man this game need a BUG mod or similar to compile all of the sell pirces, inventroy, demands, training, etc. I hate having to leave indian trade/europe to check inventory in different towns, and i have only tried to manage 3 towns let alone my share of a standard map.

5.)how hard would it be to change the, "you have ships waiting in europe" messages to when i click end turn, instead of after they wasted movement. Not always remebering to click send to NW icon sucks!!

#1 - I've seen random forests pop up, but rarely.

#2 - trading with Indians can be a good idea - remember that you can enter their villages with a dude to talk to the chief and find out what they really want. Unfortunately, it's usually guns, horses and tools (trade goods suck after your first sale). If you have extra g/h/t, though, and the Indians aren't a threat to you, it might be worth selling to them (especially if it gives your European opponents a headache!).

I remember seeing these Apaches braves running around with guns, and I asked myself, which idiot sold them guns? I blamed the French.

#3 - haven't figured out whether it's better to just settle two colonies right away, or make one and maybe improve it quickly. I'm leaning towards the "mega-food colony" approach as I find having enough people is my key challenge.

#4 - this is almost a "classic" Microprose game, in the sense that you could either set up a series of note-cards or simply run a spreadsheet on a second monitor to track all this data to come up with the best results. The scary thing is the prices overall are pretty similar to what they were in Col1, and I can remember what those ranges are (1/9 food, 1/4 lumber, 19/20 silver, etc.). If you play it long enough you may just end up memorizing some of it.

The biggest challenge, I find, is remembering "how many tools did I have in that city?", in case I want to protest a tax hike but don't want to have too many goods tossed into the harbour.

I'm getting sorely tempted to revert to the Col1 tactic of keeping all my junk in non-coastal cities to avoid this problem...

#5 - maybe a good mod can fix that; I usually send them out immediately unless I'm waiting for something special.

What's the difficulty-levels in Colonization, i don't have the game because someone ,who works in a game-store, said that Colonization delayed in Europe to thursday (this week)...
Is that true??

I know the laughter will follow, but I just got this game yesterday. I have never played the colonization game before and only the CIV IV. Anyway, my question is, how do I get the people to build stuff? For example, the worker in CIV IV builds roads, mines, buildings, etc. I started the Colonization game, had a person, walked him over to what looked like a field and nothing came up. Is the "worker" not part of this game? I am extremely confused.:confused:
Thanks

I know the laughter will follow, but I just got this game yesterday. I have never played the colonization game before and only the CIV IV. Anyway, my question is, how do I get the people to build stuff? For example, the worker in CIV IV builds roads, mines, buildings, etc. I started the Colonization game, had a person, walked him over to what looked like a field and nothing came up. Is the "worker" not part of this game? I am extremely confused.:confused:
Thanks

The Pioneer is the "worker".

My question is: What's a good number of colonies to have, and what's the general time span to get them?

hey, in the city screen when you send out a "colonist" (meaning any of the msnry, pioneer, soldier colonist etc. units). There is one button to make a pioneer, you also need 50 tools while he is in the field, they are returned when he checks back in to produce or craft. I would HIGHLY reccomend using a "hardy pioneer" as much as possible for improving. These guys build close to 2 :1 to a stock pioneer. ok maybe 33% quicker don;t know actually modifier, but it PAYS off, try putting a farm on sugared marshes with a stock pioneer.... i think it was like 13 turns or something insane

hey, in the city screen when you send out a "colonist" (meaning any of the msnry, pioneer, soldier colonist etc. units). There is one button to make a pioneer, you also need 50 tools while he is in the field, they are returned when he checks back in to produce or craft. I would HIGHLY reccomend using a "hardy pioneer" as much as possible for improving. These guys build close to 2 :1 to a stock pioneer. ok maybe 33% quicker don;t know actually modifier, but it PAYS off, try putting a farm on sugared marshes with a stock pioneer.... i think it was like 13 turns or something insane

Excellent. Thank you very much.

how do you produce ore?

how do you create a pioneer? ( i think thats what its called, whatever the unit is that makes improvements.)

how do you produce ore?
Assign a colonist to work a tile that produces ore by clicking and dragging him to that tile in the city screen. An expert ore miner will get you the most benefit, especially from tiles with iron or hills.

how do you create a pioneer? ( i think thats what its called, whatever the unit is that makes improvements.)

Either import one from Europe (pay for a Hardy Pioneer, or get an immigrant), or convert a normal colonist to one at the expense of 50 (on Normal speed) Tools. You can click the "Change Profession" button to do so.

Assign a colonist to work a tile that produces ore by clicking and dragging him to that tile in the city screen. An expert ore miner will get you the most benefit, especially from tiles with iron or hills.

Either import one from Europe (pay for a Hardy Pioneer, or get an immigrant), or convert a normal colonist to one at the expense of 50 (on Normal speed) Tools. You can click the "Change Profession" button to do so.

i tried changing professions, but for some reason pioneer wasnt listed? unless im just blind...

Did you have 50 tools?

What are the "Time" and "Europe" victory conditions? I understand the Independence victory, where I win if I defeat the king, but what do these others do? I want to play a custom game where I can take however long I want before declaring independence.

Why won't Take2 allow Steam users in Japan like me buy the English version of the game through Steam? Why are they locking out certain regions? Don't they want my money?

How do you actually "make" a soldier?
I know you need so many guns but than what?

How do you actually "make" a soldier?
I know you need so many guns but than what?

In the colony screen, move a colonist to the garrison (click and drag). You will see a list of options for him, including soldier (if you have 50 guns in that colony) or dragoon (50 guns + 50 horses). Otherwise you can double click on him for an extended list of options.

In the colony screen, move a colonist to the garrison (click and drag). You will see a list of options for him, including soldier (if you have 50 guns in that colony) or dragoon (50 guns + 50 horses). Otherwise you can double click on him for an extended list of options.

"garrison" ? I don't think I have ever seen that building...how do I get a garrison? do I have to build other buildings first maybe?

Today, I started my second game (as the Dutch) on the huge Western Hemisphere map. I restarted 6 times, because I was frustrated to find so many Indian villages all along the coasts.

Q > What do you do if the coasts are so crowded ?

Top Bottom