1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

The maximum is 31.

Edit: ninja'd!

2. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch Chieftain

Conquests allows 31 civs. Open the Conquests editor, and save the game to whatever name you like in the Conquests scenario folder of your game. This is to prevent accidentally changing the basic game. Then go to "scenario" and check "custom rules". Return to "scenario" and now select "custom player data". Next return to "scenario" and select "scenario properties". This will open with the "scenario" tab selected. In the upper center section of this page you will see a box called "player options", with "number of players" at the top. Just change the number of players from 8 to 31. Click "apply" at the bottom and close that window. Now save it again and close the editor. When you start a game, go to the "scenarios" section and select the title you just created. This should then start a game that is the same as the basic start, only allowing 31 civs. The map will be random as before and everything the same. I've been doing this for years now.

3. a_creative_name

a_creative_name Chieftain

Does the climate affect the number of rivers, or does it just change the abundance of certain terrain, like grass vs. plains?

4. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Wet and Dry impact jungle/swamps afaik. Age impacts amount of mountains.

5. waniac

waniac Chieftain

I want to start playing Civ games..should i begin with the 1st game or could i shoot right to civ 5?

6. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Well this is the civ III forum, so you can expect most to say go to Conquest (civ3). Most will say skip civ5 and maybe half will say civ4 is ok. IOW I prefer C3C (conquest).

7. Optional

Optional Chieftain

Civ 1 and 2 may come across as quite dated, with not even having animations.
    3, 4 and 5 have all demo's, why don't you try those first?
    Civ 5 requires Steam, the others not.
    I think you should just pick what graphically appeals to you. The mechanics of every Civ game are different, appealing to different people. It's hard to say which one you will prefer over the other.
    EDIT: Yeah, if you would buy Civ III, I would go for Civ III complete straight away.

8. del62

del62 Chieftain

Can people confirm that in PTW forest chops take 10 standed non industrial worker turns pre replacable parts as oposed to 4 turns in conquests

9. Optional

Optional Chieftain

I can. It does. Biggest thing that I get fooled by if I ever go back to PTW.
    * ...Jeez, that forest should be chopped by now, the shields going to the granary... O, wait, I remember something... Aargh!!!* Frustrating.

10. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

On the other hand, forest-chops for Industrial civs take 5 turns in PTW as opposed to 3 turns in C3C. Not so far off anymore. *shrugs*

11. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

12. Kolpol

Kolpol Chieftain

Hello guys im playing Civ 3 Gold edition and it is in polish language and assually i cant understand it and i want to change the language to english. So PLS HELP ME PLS PLS PLS:sad::sad::cry:

13. Takhisis

I think it's decided when installing the game, man. You could upgrade to Conquests while you're at it…

14. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd Chieftain

I forget- how do you remove cities from the map to see resources hidden in AI (and player) cities?

15. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

Right click them. If you select your own city, or a city not shrouded in Fog of War, hit "Terrain Info."

16. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

cntrl + shift M/N iirc

17. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd Chieftain

Thanks, I'll try at home.

18. Kolpol

Kolpol Chieftain

:( i cant change the language from the install because the installer itself is polish and does not have option to change the language:(

Im thinking now of downloading Civ 4 Or Civ 5 cause i cant understand the civ 3 gold

19. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch Chieftain

They would be even harder to understand in Polish.

20. Takhisis

The installer may be Polish but I think you can still change it to English somewhere along the way.