1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. CKS

CKS Deity

You can sell the improvements that you built before you got the wonder. If you built it yourself, you get the option to sell it; if it is wonder-built, you can't sell it. If you are playing for 100k, beware: free temples don't get culture doubling, so don't sell any temples you've built previously.

Preserve Random Seed does guarantee the same results if you do exactly the same sequence of things. However, if you change the order in which you do things, the outcomes may be different. Additionally, talking to the AI accesses the RNG (deciding what to say to you), so if you talk to the AI a different number of times than you did the first time, you can change the results of everything after that.

2. MysteryX

MysteryX Warlord

With preserve random seed set, you only get the same results if you perform the actions requiring randomness in the same order.

Basically, the computer isn't really giving you a completely random number every time a random event occurs. It has essentially a pre-generated list of numbers, and every time a random event is called for, the computer just uses the next number on the list.

It's similar to using A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates.

With preserve random seed, when you reload, you start with the same list of numbers in the same place on that list where you left off. Without preserve random seed, you get a completely new list when you reload.

3. Marko30

Marko30 Chieftain

Hello :)

Newbie here with probably a stupid and obvious question. I was reading a few stories in which there was 31 Civilizations in one game. I thought it looked interesting and tried to set one up myself, but even when I select a huge map, the maximum amount of enemies that is possible is 15. How is it possible to set up a 31-Civ game?

Cheers.

4. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Hi,

You can change the map size and number of nations in the editor and save it as a scenario.

5. r16

r16 not deity

is Marko30's case because he is using Vanilla ?

6. Rundown

Rundown Chieftain

Got a quick question. If an ai doesn't have access to a key resource such as saltpeter or horses per say will they be able to build units that need them such as musketmen or cavalry. I know the ais can trade resources with each other but I feel as if I have seen the ai build cavalry with no access to saltpeter and I am pretty sure they were not trading either.

7. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Their saltpeter resource may have dried up before you were able to verify this. They built their Cavs and lost their resource.

What makes you think they weren't trading?

8. Rundown

Rundown Chieftain

I don't know, maybe I overlooked it. Was just wondering if the ai had this advantage over the human player but I guess not. Thanks for verifying :goodjob:

9. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

They can have it from somewhere you can't see, have them traded (even from you, peace agreements in large games with many players lead to strrange resource exchanges), or, as Cyc posted, have built them and then lost the resource (by it being conquered by someone else, by the resource disappearing, or by a trade agreement ending).

10. Experiment 626

Experiment 626 Prince

Howdy, howdy!

It's been a few years since I posted here (or even played c3c for that matter).

I came back because I found a news item on the Internet stating that someone has been playing the same Civ II game for over ten years. He even posted some wild pictures of a post-apocalyptic future. (Evidently, there have been numerous Nuclear Wars and multiple instances of Global Warming).

I looked at the pictures, and got homesick for c3c. So here I am!

My question? Um . . . How do I play this game again? :lol:

(Yes, I'm kidding . . . but I'm sure that I'll have questions to post soon enough.)

11. Theov

Theov Deity

hahaha
    "post-apocalyptic" is my favorite word EEEVER!! :D

12. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

:yup: post-apocalyptic is great! :D

13. Takhisis

14. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Hi,

I have got a slightly unusual problem.

My cat jumped on to my keyboard while I was playing.

And after that my unit order buttons are on the right side of the screen instead of lower side. :confused:

As I do not know what keys Helena has pressed: How do I get my buttons back to the lower side? I have not found anything in the manual.

Thanks!

15. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

And they are in reverse order also. Hmmm. Unless you read them from the top, instead. Never mind.

16. darski

darski Regent in Training

Hit your backspace key! been there and done that :lol:

17. Experiment 626

Experiment 626 Prince

* Post moved to MapFinder thread *

18. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Thanks Darksi,

it works! ;)

19. Takhisis

Experiment 626, maybe you should ask in the MapFinder thread.

20. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

:hmm:

Uh.... surely you remember this: Experiment 626's TDG2 or 'Pinky and The Brain take over the world!'? Ring any bells? It's been, oh, say, 4 1/2 years since it got started and almost 3 years since you last posted.

Ready to pick up where we left off?

Ve hafe vays ofh may-king you plaay!