1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Experiment 626

Experiment 626 Prince

Hi, CommandoBob (or should I say General CommandoBob) :wavey:

My Hard Drive crashed during the Pinky and the Brain TDG, and the savegame files were irrevocably lost. :cry: I was soooo :mad: that I stopped playing.

HOWEVER, if you recall from the first TDG, I still owe that French (bleep) Joanie and the Arabic Apu for their transgressions. Luckily, I posted the savegame file after we launched the spaceship. I have downloaded it, and loaded into the game to ensure that it works . . . and it does! :evil:

I'm going to play a few games to regain the knack of warfare, and then . . . :nuke::nuke::nuke: or just maybe I'll eliminate Apu first and then work my way down the Beta continent taking French city after French City until she only has one small crappy city left. AND THEN -----> :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: her off the planet. I want to try to keep Global Warming down to a minimum.

2. darski

darski Regent in Training

I have been trying to find the notation for "Keep Res =" to find out if I need 0 or 1 in the line for my wide screen monitor. I tried a search and got nothing. Would some kind soul help me with this?

oh yeah... and where do I find it anyway :lol:

3. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

darski, try Ainwood's ini file parameters.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Also, some monitors have settings for always stretching the picture to fit the frame or for keeping resolution (and darkening the rest of the screen to the sides)

5. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Warlord

Do slaves cost 1gpt to the civ you capture them from? I know they work at half speed, but wondering if there is a penalty to the AI? (Did a quick search of the forums, but nothing came up).

Thx!

6. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch King

"Slaves" cost nothing to either the country they are from or to their present owner. Captured workers are free units.

7. AnorakTel

AnorakTel Chieftain

I've created a couple of modified Conquests games. Two questions.

First can you move the rule mods over to standard CIV III and add the new buildings to the City Aerial View? There don't seem to be any text files that link the buildings to the City Screen pictures.

Second how do I get my modified games to write to the local Hall of Fame? When the game finishes it goes through end sequence and says "Continue a couple of turns?" I hit "No I'm done" and that's it. No high score, no record.

I played one of the official scenarios and sure enough up popped the high score. I edited the scenario, overwriting the original, and no dice. It wouldn't save my score. (I then copied a saved version of the scenario back again.)

8. Takhisis

The Aerial View is broken for all except the standard Firaxis-made [Civ Epic mode]. Same for Hall of Fame.
    Head over to the Creation and Customisation section for mroe details.

9. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

If you modify a regular game (to include those Civ scenarios) in any way, a victory will not show up on your Hall of Fame. But as Takhisis has said, going to the C&C forums will get you some info, such as how to edit your campaign record file so that new info on your victories will show up.

I agree. I doubt there is any way to break into the Bird's Eye view.

10. AnorakTel

AnorakTel Chieftain

Thanks. I knew the Aerial view was not implemented. The official CIV website claimed that it was more important to get Conquests done rather than do Aerials.

I'll check out the C&C.

11. darski

I just had an interesting event. The Zulu dropped off one archer... finally. The trouble is that he has disappeared. What are the rules about which unit gets cut when the money is all gone?

It's kind of funny really :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Poor Shaka (literally) lost his widdle mean archer

12. Takhisis

It starts sacrificing units. Alternatively, it just teleported a unit away. The AI cheats.

13. darski

Shaka has been itching fora fight:ar15: so I don't think they used the teleporter.

14. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

It might be the first that isn't covered. :p

15. CKS

CKS Deity

I think that the unit farthest away from the capital is the one that gets sacrificed. I've seen this happen quite a lot. My favorite was the time when a fairly large stack was dropped off. It lost one during the first IBT, I managed to kill all but one, and that one disappeared during the next IBT.

16. darski

The guy would qualify as it was a bit of a trip to get to my continent. Thank you.

17. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

What happens, if a ship gets disbanded that still carries other units...? :D

Are there any rules as to whether a unit or a building gets disbanded? Could it be that always the "cheapest thing" (in terms of shields) gets disbanded?

18. Immortal7777

Immortal7777 Chieftain

When I first create my world and choose my nation it gives me an option to pick a year. 3 billion, 5 billion etc. What does it do?

19. darski

That tells you the age of the world. 3 billion is lots of erupting mountains etc. 5 Billion is well formed and diverse.

I prefer 5 myself but many like 4.

20. darski

I was under the impression that a city would be destroyed if it was only size one and/or if it had not had a cultural increase. I just took a size 2 city and it was destroyed. I have taken size 2 cities often and they are not automatically razed - what am I missing?