1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Maybe you ARE playing too much C3C, darski. Put down the mouse, and back away, slowly.... :D

I'm not sure that I've seen a size 2 city auto-raze, but I take size 1 AI cities with no expansion a lot.

2. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

Sometimes when you declare war on a civ all their cities drop in size. I think that civ has to be in Despotism and the likes for it to happen. It is a curious, but fairly well known sight.

So, yeah, it is possible for a size 2 city to get autorazed. The city loses a pop point when you declare war, and the second one when you take it.

3. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

More Curiosity: Can you tell if the AI "cheated" and pop-rushed a defending military unit in that particular city? :)

4. CKS

CKS Deity

If the AI citizen isn't the nationality of the AI you are at war with, the city won't autoraze.

5. Kirejara

Kirejara King

I think so.

Several times I locate early in the game a rival capital only defended by a warrior. But as soon as you attack or declare war - PLOP!!! - there appears a spearman out of nothing. Sometimes I suspect they appear even without bronzeworking as some of the observed civilisations did not start with it and they did not have time to research it either.

Could be very annoying!

6. Viracocha13

Viracocha13 Chieftain

Hi again.

It's nice to see that CivIII is still quite popular today. I bought a copy from Steam to use on my new computer and I've gotten sucked in all over again.

I noticed there were a few .ini tweaks such as changing Barbarian behavior. That got me thinking if other features could be changed (at some point when I'm confident with stock game mechanics, I'll dive into mods).

In particular, I was wondering if the periodic historical reports (History of the World: Pliny has made a list of the happiest nations, etc) would only show and rank discovered civs. It spoils the fun when you set your opponents to random, but appear on that list within a few turns.

And yes, I have tried several searches before bugging you guys, but I must be using the wrong terms.

7. Haeda

Haeda Chieftain

I'm currently floating between this and IV

8. Theov

Theov Deity

it isn't cheating is it?
    I've read a few times that the AI doesn't 'cheat' so if they don't know a tech - they won't produce the unit.

9. CKS

CKS Deity

They could have easily traded for bronzeworking, though.

10. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

The AI DOES cheat!..............Luckily it is so weakly programmed that it needs all the help it can get.

One such "cheat" is that the AI knows where all the "hidden" resources are located on the map (i.e. Horses) and can plan its city placements accordingly. :)

11. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

It still manages to screw up enormously as it can 'see' the map (it knows where everything is as EMan said) but, for example, cannot use isthmuses properly.

12. darski

darski Regent in Training

You can use the information against them.

They know exactly what units you have where so you can lure/scare them by manipulating that. I also tend to go for any location they are "dying" to claim.

13. Takhisis

:cooool: Of course! Once you reach the modern age you keep a couple mobile stacks and shuffle them around on railway tracks, and keep some fleets moving around, nine tiles per turn!

14. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Now I remember! I had done that and forgot all about it. I moved all my units from a city that was close to the AI border (but just out of reach). Sure enough, they attacked and sent units to that city. I had wanted them to declare anyway.

15. DudeNukem

DudeNukem Chieftain

Hello all! This is my first post, and new to the game. I'm hooked, I remember trying it about 10 years ago but I didn't understand it:p My first few tries at playing came out to quick defeats/restarts. I was the Americans all those times (since I am one and all). I found this site after gooleing civ 3 tips and read a bunch. The game I am currently on I choose the Japanese, and 3 random AI's Americans, Aztecs, and Mayans. I took out the Aztecs, and the Americans are next ( I had defeated them but game crash :cringe: ). The Mayans are on the opiate side of the continent, I think I will go for a population victory since Im at 63% now.

Question is how can I make Civs less angry at me when I'm at war? I'm thinking it'll be a problem in my next game when were I'll put around 5 other civs.

16. Takhisis

Welcome to these forums.

Less angry during war? Don't break Right of Passage treaties, try to behave, etc. But the AI is a bit broken and will always claim that you've sneaked attack nations that invaded you and similar delusions.

17. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Welcome DudeNukem,
    Are you aware that you can't go for just a "population" victory? That you need 66% of the population AND 66% of the land area to get a domination victory? Just askin'.

18. DudeNukem

DudeNukem Chieftain

Darn I must of just paid attention to the 66% part. I currently have 32% land coverage. I saw they had some good calvary and more towns than myself. It will be an interesting battle!

@ Takhisis - I will try and behave when I have treaties and stuff with other civs. I'm starting a new game with 5 civs, looking forward to see how it goes!

I have a lot to learn still thank you all for being so helpful

19. MysteryX

MysteryX Warlord

The AI Attitude Study gives a good rundown of most of the stuff that affects how your AI opponents feel about you.

20. tipwong

tipwong Chieftain

I have bought civ3 but steam version, how to install the modpacks of civfan-made(non official modpacks)?