1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. robbus

robbus Warlord

I discovered gunpowder sometime ago but I cannot find any saltpeter in my territory. Is it possible it is buried in my enemies territory? Neutral territory?

Am I missing something?

screenshot and game save included

Attached Files:

2. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

It's normal.

Very often you won't have some resources in your territory, that's why the trade system exists in the game.

You can invade a civilization who does have the resource and take it;
    You can find an empty land (if there's any) in which maybe there is the resource needed;
    You can trade with other civilizations.

3. robbus

robbus Warlord

ok but the problem is where to look... are the amount of saltpeter squares predetermined or do they randomly appear during game... I n other wwords if I do not see salt peter in exposed squares now they will never appear in those squares?

4. Kirejara

Kirejara King

On a standard size random map should be:

- 9 Sources of each Horses, Iron and Salpeter
    - 6 Sources of each Coal, Oil, Rubber, Aluminium and Uranium

Luxuries and Bonus resources are more random.

Try to remove cities and improvements with CTRL+Shift+M from view and search for Salpeter.

I am unable to open your savegame for whatever reasons, but I asume that you have allready discovered the secret of "Gunpowder"? Salpeter apears only after this discovery.

5. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

Some resources can disappear from the square they are in (the advisor says it was exhausted) and some resources can appear in squares they weren't (the advisor says it was discovered), but it's a bit rare.

Besides, I don't think I've ever seen some territory which didn't already have some resource exhausted simply gain this one in some square.

In another words: it may happen if you already had and it was exhausted, but don't count with it, just go to search in some place else.

You will find plenty.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

What, Kirejara? The standard number is 8. Civ III uses powers of two.

7. Kirejara

Kirejara King

I did not change the apearance ratio of the resources! ;)

There are 8 Players on a standard map, but usually 9 resources of Horses, Iron, Salpeter and Rubber.

8. robbus

robbus Warlord

So zulus (my biggest rival) tried to extort gunpowder tech from me which I declined.

They declared war of course. After beating them up a bit they sued for peace and I could see they have saltpeter with none available for trade so I guess it is hidden on the map in their territory.

I have sent an armed reconaissance party (3 pikes and a settler) to try and find it bbefore they discover gunpowder)

I am not sure what to do when I find it.

Thanks for the replies

9. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Build a city on top of it and defend it, what else? Try to get some culture buildings so the city doesn't flip.

10. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

It doesn't matter if you can see the resource on their map if they can't.

If they don't have Gunpowder they will not be able to trade the Saltpeter simply because they don't know they have it.

Besides, if they have only one of the resource they will not trade it (at least I've never seen), yet you can.

11. robbus

robbus Warlord

"Build a city on top of it and defend it, what else? Try to get some culture buildings so the city doesn't flip"

"It doesn't matter if you can see the resource on their map if they can't.

If they don't have Gunpowder they will not be able to trade the Saltpeter simply because they don't know they have it.

Besides, if they have only one of the resource they will not trade it (at least I've never seen), yet you can"

Thanks guys:

the source is right next to the zulu capitol so it is not feasible to capture and defend IMHO. see pic persian salt

The celts and russians have it but they haven't discovered gunpowder let alone navigation. Invading their territory capturing and defending saltpeter source while building a harbor seems too ambitious.

I will attempt to wipe out zulus get their saltpeter and then go for space victory.

we will see what happens!!!

Attached Files:

12. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Magadan seems the easiest location to get saltpeter: the AI is notoriously bad at naval operations, so they can't really defend their islands properly (even on Sid)... Send two Caravels with Knights, that should be all that's necessary. And then make peace again, as soon as they are willing to talk.

However: if you are going for space, you probably want to keep good relations with the Russians in order to get their free tech?!
    And: if you are going for space, what do you need saltpeter for?! You are already researching Steam Power, so the age of Cavalry is almost over. (If you gift up the Russians - which you should do now, before you've researched all the industrial first-tiers by yourself - they might already get Nationalism, and against Riflemen a Cav-based war is no fun... Not to speak of that in 2-3 more techs Infantry will be available...)

Ok, I took a look at the save:
    • If you are going for space, you need to use the scientific nations (Greece and Russia in your case)! It looks like you just entered the Industrial age and got Medicine as your freeby. Fortunately you have not put any beakers into Steam Power yet, so what you do now: gift Russia and Greece all your Medieval techs (except for Economics and Navigation, of course) and hope that one of them will get Steam for free. Then trade Medicine (plus potentially Eco and/or Navi, if they are not willing to do a one-for-one trade) for Steam. This saves you approx. 13 turns!
    • Tyre is a prime first-ring town, it has an aqueduct, but is only size 6? Bring it to size ~10 quickly (irrigate the grass and plain and perhaps some deserts within its reach, if necessary.) Meanwhile build a University there, not a pikeman. (It has no barracks, so why build troops there?)
    • Steam is almost there, but you don't have any workers... (Well, none to speak of: only 10.) All your Spanish towns are producing Wealth, what a waste! Let them build workers, workers and workers! You would need at least 50 by now. These can quickly build railroads all over you core and then be joined into the first- and second-ring cities to push them to size 12. (Desert with irrigation and rail gives 2 food, so all your cities should be size 12 soon.) Then research output will about double.
    • Theveste and Hamadan are also producing Wealth. What a waste! Hamadan needs a courthouse, aqueduct, market and university, in that order. It's already 1330 AD and it still hasn't finished its required infrastructure! As a second-ring city with lot's of commerce rich coastal tiles it should be making around 20 beakers by now instead of 4 beakers.
      Theveste should be producing workers.
    • You are a Monarchy?? For a spaceship game you definitely need to be a Republic! This speeds up your research capacity by 33%. Revolt immediately, before it's too late. (Well, it is already too late: in a science game you should be a Republic around 1500 BC - 1300 BC at the latest. Now it's already 1330 AD... Just imagine how much research capacity you already lost until now. :eek:)
    • Antioch needs a University, and your capital should not employ a scientist: with the scientist it is size 10 and makes 23 beakers. By setting the scientist to a river hill, Pasargadae makes 22 beakers and will soon be size 11, when it will make ~25 beakers. (And with Republic it should already be ~35 beakers.) I think you get the idea on how to speed up your research.

13. dr3w

dr3w Chieftain

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: CivilizationV.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.3.18
    Application Timestamp: 51c2e9f7
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdadb
    Exception Code: c000070a
    Exception Offset: 00099d74
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: a7aa
    Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
    Additional Information 3: a7aa
    Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

14. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Could you at least post what you were doing when that happened?

15. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

looks like playing civ 5. :cheers:1,000 posts!

16. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Yes, how did he turn a game of civ3 into Civ5?

17. Wondering Kid

Wondering Kid Prince

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions.

I get what does the Secret Police HQ do exactly? I mean, Communist civs have Communal corruption, so in what way does it benefit them exactly?

Also, do you guys know if there is a mod or something that allows Fascist civs to benefit from the SPHQ? Fascists also used SP detachments, in theory they should be able to benefit from it too, haha.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Sí, señor Kid.

One: don't use any patched versions of C3C. ;)
    Two: you can mod it yourself, it's very easy.

19. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

As far as I know: in Communism every city has approx. 33% corruption, except for the cities with Pallace, Forbidden Pallace and SPHQ: these have close to 0% corruption.

So you can get an additional fully productive city. And also I think it reduces the "overall" corruption, let's say from 33% to 31% or something like that. (Exact numbers depend on the circumstances.)

20. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Yes, in Communism all the corruption of your cities is averaged out instead of having a couple core regions around your palaces.