Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

They reduce it by 1 for each 4 citizen. So that is 25 percentage points, but as war waerniess itself it is rounded down. The first step of war wearniss in a republic is completely absorbed by a police station, so that is somewaht powerful, but policestation are not cheap either.

I mainly use Police Stations for their anti-corruption trait rather than their War Weariness trait. So I'll build them in second-ring and further only normally. Many of the Happiness Wonders are a bit lacklustre all round, normally just giving you one unhappy citizen made content, which, for the shield investment, is pretty rough. Sistine Chapel is the only one I tend to desire every game. The only time I build Universal Suffrage is when I'm either going for Culture or because I have vast amounts of excess production and... why not... otherwise, it's just an auto-ignore. I can't imagine a scenario where it's particularly desirable for what it's function is, but I'm sure someone will enlighten me. :)

What do you do when a city has nothing left to build and you don't want or need any more units? I hate turning on wealth and I know the question is kinda stupid but I was wondering what other folks thought. I am prompted by Buttercup saying s/he only builds police stations in the outer ring - Buttercup, does that mean in my scenario you would build wealth instead of a PS in your core?

I mainly use Police Stations for their anti-corruption trait rather than their War Weariness trait. So I'll build them in second-ring and further only normally. Many of the Happiness Wonders are a bit lacklustre all round, normally just giving you one unhappy citizen made content, which, for the shield investment, is pretty rough. Sistine Chapel is the only one I tend to desire every game. The only time I build Universal Suffrage is when I'm either going for Culture or because I have vast amounts of excess production and... why not... otherwise, it's just an auto-ignore. I can't imagine a scenario where it's particularly desirable for what it's function is, but I'm sure someone will enlighten me. :)

The happiness wonders can be very valuable on the higher difficulties , which is why you need to actually put a plan to snatch them from the AI. As for the Universal Suffrage, it is pretty much useless except when doing Culture, which by the way was what I was doing and a 4 culture wonder at 800 shield is nice in the IA .

Yes you are allowed to do that. it isn't practical to finish most games in one sitting.
Talking of culture flips, yes they too can be used to get AI cities. So both the things are perfectly legal.
well I wassent sure if you were allowed when its a fixed ally.
Couldent find the pause button for singleplayer :/
ty anyway

What do you do when a city has nothing left to build and you don't want or need any more units? I hate turning on wealth and I know the question is kinda stupid but I was wondering what other folks thought.
Assuming I was in the late Industrial or early Modern-Age (and had control of the game) by that point, I'd be building my Spaceship... ;)

Or you could build 1T Workers/Settlers and ship them out to grow the boonie-towns fast. Or if you'd stuck to the 'Pop12-max. rule' for much of the early game, you could build Hospitals in the best-placed 2/3 to 3/4 of your core-cities and Settler-disband the rest, to allow space for your Hospitalised Pop12-Cities to grow into OCP'd Pop20+ Metros. You'd then need to build just about every other Happyface and high-tech improvement in them, just to keep them in order (not to mention clean)!

Similarly, even if you don't want to keep (military) units on the books long-term, you can still build 'em in the core, then ship 'em out to the sticks and disband 'em into Courthouses, Ducts (maybe), and Markets (maybe), plus Raxes+Walls, or Libs+Unis+Temples+Cathedrals+Colosseums, depending on whether you're going for a Military or Cultural VC. You get 1s back for every 4s invested, so it's best to do this with 20s, 40s, 60s, 80s, 100s- or 120s units (depending on era), and aim to minimise overrun during the build-phase.
Spoiler :
If you're doing this after Rails, you can move-and-disband newly built land-units over your entire Continent in a single turn -- and if you have coastal cities on separate landmasses, but within 1 ship-journey of each other (or the patience for ship-chaining -- which I don't!), you can even move them between landmasses in a single turn. That way, (I think) you then don't even have to pay unit-maintenance on them -- because all the economic stuff gets calculated before production during the IBT, and the units completed during IBT(x) aren't on the books any more during IBT(x+1).

The above obviously won't apply if the units are going to spend >1T in transit to get them where they're needed; then you'll have to pay at least 1 IBT's worth of maintenance. But if that's because your rail network's still incomplete, you obviously need to BUILD MORE WORKERS! ;) Also, even if you can move-and-disband in 1T, once you've built more infrastructure in a 1SPT craptown ((c)Lanzelot2014) than the town's TPT (plus any TAX%-boosters) will cover, that's going to start costing you GPT anyway -- unless you're also farming Taxmen in that town, and/or in Communism.
Or, if you're bored with that game, but don't want to retire, then just build ICBMs and :nuke: everyone else off the planet :evil:

What do you do when a city has nothing left to build and you don't want or need any more units? I hate turning on wealth and I know the question is kinda stupid but I was wondering what other folks thought. I am prompted by Buttercup saying s/he only builds police stations in the outer ring - Buttercup, does that mean in my scenario you would build wealth instead of a PS in your core?

An interesting post with 2 points!

Firstly, nothing wrong with Wealth. If you're playing a tight game, such as size 12 limited cities tightly packed onto a relatively small island with a non-violent victory in mind, then getting to early industrial and just moving to wealth can potentially generate you 100% Science with a profit (assuming you also have Economics, some Gold producing Wonders and Wall Street)! Which can be far easier than faffing around with a large empire and actually produce better Science than forking out for all the Workers, Shield and Happiness buildings required for all the bells and whistles Metro cores and outlying Corruption hovels. (notice I said 'easier', not necessarily 'quicker').

But, as a general rule, there's always something better than Wealth. Just not really always. The thing about Wealth is just knowing when and why, which is all far to specific for any forum post to fully elaborate on and tends to rely on experience of knowing where the right gaps are and in what scenario.

As for other things to build in the core - Well, I don't normally even research Communism, I tend to wait for the AI to learn it or grab it during the Modern Age when it's only 4 turns + profit, by which time the outliers are just about finishing all the other buildings anyway.

The Core has much more interesting things to build, from Commercial Docks to Offshore Platforms and from Factories+enhancement to Recycling Centres and from Hospitals to Mass Transit. If all that isn't enough then you have all the Wonders plus all the Units you require from Armies to Bombers and from Artillery to Tanks(+) and from Destroyers to Carriers. If I'm going for a large empire with Metros or even small empires with Metros then there's rarely a gap where the core doesn't need to produce something. If there is a brief gap between a maxed-out town and Unit numbers and the next build-required Tech then 10 turns of mass wealth will help bring that next Tech along a few turns quicker.

If by nothing left to build you mean nothing but units or useless buildings then I'd go for wealth and why hate wealth. It's good when you have nothing left to build and with towns having a power plant and factory out can really get you a lot of income.

If by nothing left to build you mean nothing but units or useless buildings then I'd go for wealth and why hate wealth. It's good when you have nothing left to build and with towns having a power plant and factory out can really get you a lot of income.

Well, the main reason I dislike it is my tendency to forget to put such cities back to work when something new to build becomes available. They should have a feature which prompts you, like they do when an aqueduct or a hospital might be desirable - 'would you like to build [a research lab] in this city or continue producing wealth?' Something like that.

Well, the main reason I dislike it is my tendency to forget to put such cities back to work when something new to build becomes available. They should have a feature which prompts you, like they do when an aqueduct or a hospital might be desirable - 'would you like to build [a research lab] in this city or continue producing wealth?' Something like that.

Whenever I finish a tech I generally ho to the F1 screen to check if there's some prebuild or something else I need to change from the big picture option in the tech popup. Maybe you could do that.

Whenever I finish a tech I generally ho to the F1 screen to check if there's some prebuild or something else I need to change from the big picture option in the tech popup. Maybe you could do that.

AJ, of course that is what I should do but you are talking to someone who, even with Civ Assist alerts floating on top of the game telling him that such-and-such a place is about to riot, still can't be bothered to lift his gaze once a turn to check it :(

I agree that such a feature would be helpful.

(This may be a foolish question, but...) Are you aware that you can change the ordering of your city-list in the F1 screen?

The default ordering is (broadly) by founding-date, but if you want to re-arrange cities according to what they're producing, you can click on the top of the 'Currently building' column and... presto! All the cities building the same projects will get clumped together, (I believe) according to the order in the project-list (i.e. the popup which appears when you left-click on the build-box in the city-screen).

Since Wealth is the last item on the project-list, Wealth-producing cities will initially be clumped at the end. You could scroll all the way down, but clicking the column header a second time will reverse the list order, bringing the Wealth-producing cities to the top instead.

You then don't even need to click through to the individual city-screen(s) to change the production: right-clicking on the individual project icon(s) in the F1 screen will pop-up the build-list right there.
Spoiler :
I also use this reordering function to order the city-list by SPT, especially in the Industrial Age if/when I'm still fighting land-wars: by clicking on the 'Shields' column-header, I can quickly find the magic-SPT numbers I need to build e.g. Arty, Infs or Tanks reasonably efficiently in 2-4T, then I can set production accordingly, i.e.:
20-21, 27-28, and 40-41SPT => build Arty
23-24, 30-31, and 45-46SPT => build Infs
25-26, 34-35, and 50-51SPT => build Tanks
That also helps to identify cities which fall into the gaps: these can then either have their SPT MM'd up or down for a more useful number, or they can build something else instead (e.g. if I also need Settlers, 32-33 SPT towns might do that).

I agree that such a feature would be helpful.

(This may be a foolish question, but...) Are you aware that you can change the ordering of your city-list in the F1 screen?

The default ordering is (broadly) by founding-date, but if you want to re-arrange cities according to what they're producing, you can click on the top of the 'Currently building' column and... presto! All the cities building the same projects will get clumped together, (I believe) according to the order in the project-list (i.e. the popup which appears when you left-click on the build-box in the city-screen).

Since Wealth is the last item on the project-list, Wealth-producing cities will initially be clumped at the end. You could scroll all the way down, but clicking the column header a second time will reverse the list order, bringing the Wealth-producing cities to the top instead.

You then don't even need to click through to the individual city-screen(s) to change the production: right-clicking on the individual project icon(s) in the F1 screen will pop-up the build-list right there.
Spoiler :
I also use this reordering function to order the city-list by SPT, especially in the Industrial Age if/when I'm still fighting land-wars: by clicking on the 'Shields' column-header, I can quickly find the magic-SPT numbers I need to build e.g. Arty, Infs or Tanks reasonably efficiently in 2-4T, then I can set production accordingly, i.e.:
20-21, 27-28, and 40-41SPT => build Arty
23-24, 30-31, and 45-46SPT => build Infs
25-26, 34-35, and 50-51SPT => build Tanks
That also helps to identify cities which fall into the gaps: these can then either have their SPT MM'd up or down for a more useful number, or they can build something else instead (e.g. if I also need Settlers, 32-33 SPT towns might do that).

This, or part of it, is one of the few things I do know, but just about all I use the F1 screen for is happiness monitoring. I really should do more right-clicking!

How long does it take for foreign workers added into a city to convert to our nationally (20 turns?).
AFAIK, :assimilate: is subject to the RNG at least to some extent, with the probability of a Foreign citizen being naturalised depending on relative culture strengths (higher probability if your culture is stronger) and government type (higher probability under more representative governments). If that's the case (and I'd be happy to be wrong about that), just because the probability is higher, doesn't mean that you can count on conversion happening within X turns -- unless X is arbitrarily large.
Or do they ever convert?
Yes. Or no. ;) That actually depends on whether the parent-Civ is still in the game. You can only :borg: foreign citizens if their parent-Civ is still alive and kicking; if the parent-Civ has already been eliminated, any foreign citizens obtained from that Civ -- whether they grew up in cities you captured, or were freed Slaves joined to your original cities -- will never visibly come over to your side. (But nor will they be unhappy because their mother country was destroyed, even if your Civ was the one which did the dirty deed... :crazyeye: ).

How long does it take for foreign workers added into a city to convert to our nationally (20 turns?) . Or do they ever convert?

It is a matter of probability and it solely depends on your government. Democracy and communism give you 4% chance per turn per foreign citizen, feudalism gives 3%, monarchy, republic and fascism give 2%, despotism and anarchy give just 1%.

That actually depends on whether the parent-Civ is still in the game. You can only :borg: foreign citizens if their parent-Civ is still alive and kicking; if the parent-Civ has already been eliminated, any foreign citizens obtained from that Civ -- whether they grew up in cities you captured, or were freed Slaves joined to your original cities -- will never visibly come over to your side.

I donnot dare to disagree but that is quite a surprise to me. Is the evidence for that thesis solid?

I don't know the answer to AJ's question nor do I know how to go about finding out the answer (aside from asking here of course) but I have a related question: how long before an enslaved barbarian becomes fully absorbed into the great Mayan biomass? I had one game in which I enslaved a humongous number of these critters and lobbed them into my cities. They retained their barbaric character to begin with, refusing to read books or go to plays and so forth, and being generally grumpy. However, I did not make a meticulous comparison of their behaviour with that of more respectable citizens so I cannot even guess at the answer to my question. Has anyone any idea?

Top Bottom