1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. justanick

justanick Chieftain

There is nothing wrong, 4 turns per tech is the lower limit on research time. If you increase the difficulty level tech cost do rise, then needing more than 4 turns per tech becomes more common.

2. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

Thanks.So,other question:
    If I want to research Democracy(aprox.3022 beakers),I'm in the Middle Ages,not Industrial Ages and I have 1200 beakers/turn example,can research in 3 turns,not 4 like in Industrial ?
    Any advanced age increase number of turns for research ?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. tjs282

tjs282 Mint Spy

No, the 4T minimum doesn't change with Era, it applies from the beginning to the end of the game. So if you can make 1200 BPT at your current SCI%-slider setting, but you only need 3022 beakers total, then in 4T you would bank 4800 beakers, i.e. nearly 60% more than you needed. So you might as well turn down your SCI%-slider until it is 1 notch above the level where the research would take you 5T instead (and/or change some of your Scientists into Taxmen or Civil Engineers). You should also get into the habit, on the last 1-2T of any research project, of knocking the SCI%-slider down as far as you can without increasing turns-to-completion, and then banking the TAX%-cash instead.

4. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

OK,thanks much again.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Chieftain

Is there a circumnavigation event/bonus in Civ3? Or is that just in Civ4?

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

There's the Magellan's Voyage Great Wonder in the epic game, but you don't trigger anything just by going around the globe.

7. Buttercup

Buttercup Chieftain

You get an upgrade to your palace by revealing every square on the board, which you can do via sailing, but nothing for just going round the world.