Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

but number of turns to research a tech is always 4,Democracy with just 3022 4 turns,Free Artistry 2311....4 turns,other techs with 4000-6600 too 4,no matter science rate,is clear a penalty,I saw few words about this in a site.
For 50% I have 1476 beakers,CivAssist shows 1450.
Something is 'wrong' with this government in Civ III....

There is nothing wrong, 4 turns per tech is the lower limit on research time. If you increase the difficulty level tech cost do rise, then needing more than 4 turns per tech becomes more common.

Thanks.So,other question:
If I want to research Democracy(aprox.3022 beakers),I'm in the Middle Ages,not Industrial Ages and I have 1200 beakers/turn example,can research in 3 turns,not 4 like in Industrial ?
Any advanced age increase number of turns for research ?

Last edited:
Thanks.So,other question:
If I want to research Democracy(aprox.3022 beakers),I'm in the Middle Ages,not Industrial Ages and I have 1200 beakers/turn example,can research in 3 turns,not 4 like in Industrial ?
Any advanced age increase number of turns for research ?
No, the 4T minimum doesn't change with Era, it applies from the beginning to the end of the game. So if you can make 1200 BPT at your current SCI%-slider setting, but you only need 3022 beakers total, then in 4T you would bank 4800 beakers, i.e. nearly 60% more than you needed. So you might as well turn down your SCI%-slider until it is 1 notch above the level where the research would take you 5T instead (and/or change some of your Scientists into Taxmen or Civil Engineers). You should also get into the habit, on the last 1-2T of any research project, of knocking the SCI%-slider down as far as you can without increasing turns-to-completion, and then banking the TAX%-cash instead.

Is there a circumnavigation event/bonus in Civ3? Or is that just in Civ4?

There's the Magellan's Voyage Great Wonder in the epic game, but you don't trigger anything just by going around the globe.

You get an upgrade to your palace by revealing every square on the board, which you can do via sailing, but nothing for just going round the world.

Does global warming stop at a certain point or will it continue non-stop until all degradable tiles have been turned into desert? Is there a rhyme and reason to which tiles start to degrade or is it random? What is the formula used to determine the threshold for when it is triggered, or at the very least, how much pollution/nukes cause it?

Is there a rhyme and reason to which tiles start to degrade or is it random?

I think the elimination of jungles and forests gets prioritized. I'm not so sure about jungles... they can get thought of as uncleared grassland. But, if you have some forests planted, then global warming will direct such that the forests disappear. I've used that in histographic games by planting forests so I don't have any high food tiles turn into plains or deserts.

How does one set up a game with (as many as possible) the same bonuses for the human player as the AIs have on Sid level? How do you change the cost factor, for production and growth, for the human player to .4?

What bonuses? The numbers of happy pop-heads and so on?

What bonuses? The numbers of happy pop-heads and so on?

At Sid, they have a cost factor of .4. So, they only need 4 shields for a worker instead of 10. They also only need 5 surplus food to grow up to size 7, instead of 20. They start with 2 free settlers, 4 free workers, 12 defensive units, 6 offensive units, have 24 additional unit support, 8 for each city, a maximum of 1 turn anarchy (though religious might be different), and a trade rate of 200. Those are the bonuses I'm talking about.

Oh, those. I don't think you can do that. Not the cost factor thing. There's workarounds for extra starting units and unit support (and you can always mark a civ as religious and untag buildings so they don't get the halved production cost) but you can't do everything.

They also only need 5 surplus food to grow up to size 7, instead of 20.

That would be 8.

a maximum of 1 turn anarchy (though religious might be different)

That in fact is 0 anarchy. The setting 0 is the standard setting, 1 means zero turns, 2 means 1 turn etc..

Those are the bonuses I'm talking about.

I donnot think there is a proper way to achieve this. What you can of course do is to remove the boni for AI.

One of the important issues about the cost factor is that above regent Research costs stay the same for AI but for human player they scale up by 10/cost factor. Having to pay 2.5 times the beakers for research is a major consideration at Sid.

Something rather reasonable to do is to keep costs factor etc. the same but remove only the additional starting units for AI. It makes for a much smoother gameplay when early on the game is not rigged too much in favour of AI. You might even create a scenario where you start with 3 settlers instead so that while still playing a "proper" Sid game in the long run you do have strong advantage early on.

There is accelerated production, but i would assume that to apply for AI as well.

Well, you might give them the same starting units as Sid and put them on a specialty level kind of like regent. But, that makes for a cost factor of .5, instead of .4. And I don't know how to change the unit support for the human player or the trading level.

I'm also not clear as to how to fix the human player... though I did it once, so I might figure it out.

You can give the human player special extra starting units that don't have a manintenance cost and cannot be built.

Top Bottom