Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

According to the ingame civiliopedia, you can build Shakespeares Theatre only in a city with minimum size 7.

Since I usually skip the complete research branch (Printing Press, Democraty and Free Artistry) I let it build for me by the KI... ;)

According to the ingame civiliopedia, you can build Shakespeares Theatre only in a city with minimum size 7.

Along this same train of thought, is there a way to see what the flags in the editor amount to? Shakespeare's Theatre has the "Allow city size 3" flag checked. It is possible that in the back-end "allow city size 3" also has the prerequisite of "currently in city size 2" before it can be built.

The scenario I thought of was going for all of the victory conditions at 2050 similar to a GOTM with The Celts by SirPleb, with a city that previously put out workers/settlers.

As i recall it anything to allow becoming a metropolis can only be build after a town has become a city.

Along this same train of thought, is there a way to see what the flags in the editor amount to? Shakespeare's Theatre has the "Allow city size 3" flag checked. It is possible that in the back-end "allow city size 3" also has the prerequisite of "currently in city size 2" before it can be built.

Three experts who basically all say the same -- I guess that settles this question. So it's the same as for the Hospital: city needs to be at "level 2" (size 7-12), before it can build a building that allows "level 3".
And this also settles the question set in my "concocted example": if you are playing for 20K on a bad map that doesn't have enough food for 7 citizens, then the best strategy depends on whether you play PtW or C3C:
  • In PtW go for Free Artistry and get Shakespeare's asap
  • In C3C skip the Free Artistry branch and go for the other wonders, as you won't be allowed to build Shakespeare's anyway.
However, that is still not the end of it: in C3C the following might be possible:
  • Make sure to have some food in the food bin, when your town grows from 5 to 6. (E.g. if you have built the Pyramids earlier, you'll have a Granary, and the food bin will keep 10 sheaves. If you lost the Pyramids to the AI, you could for a while collect food at size 5 with +1fpt and then join a worker to reach size 6 with a non-empty food bin.)
  • Build the Aqueduct
  • Prebuild with some other 600s-wonder
  • As soon as you have collected 500s, join a worker to get size 7 with -1fpt.
  • Thanks to the stored food, you can sustain size 7 for a couple of turns and finish Shakespeare's.
That should work, shouldn't it?

• In PtW go for Free Artistry and get Shakespeare's asap
  • In C3C skip the Free Artistry branch and go for the other wonders, as you won't be allowed to build Shakespeare's anyway.

Oops. It's the other way around.

• Make sure to have some food in the food bin, when your town grows from 5 to 6. (E.g. if you have built the Pyramids earlier, you'll have a Granary, and the food bin will keep 10 sheaves. If you lost the Pyramids to the AI, you could for a while collect food at size 5 with +1fpt and then join a worker to reach size 6 with a non-empty food bin.)
  • Build the Aqueduct
  • Prebuild with some other 600s-wonder
  • As soon as you have collected 500s, join a worker to get size 7 with -1fpt.
  • Thanks to the stored food, you can sustain size 7 for a couple of turns and finish Shakespeare's.
That should work, shouldn't it?

What? Why would you do that? I'm not saying that you couldn't do that, but for what reason would you?

Oops. It's the other way around.

:confused: No, it's the way I said: in PtW, Shakespeare's does not allow growth to 13, so it can be built at size 6. In C3C it can't be built at size 6, so we may as well safe the effort of researching Free Artistry. (Unless the procedure described below is possible. However, that procedure is possible only if there is enough food for 6 citizens. (So that a 7th citizen can be joined, when the town has 0fpt. If there is only food for 5 citizens, this won't work, because after joining the 6th citizen, we would already be at negative fpt, and the game doesn't allow us to join a worker, when the fpt is already negative.)

What? Why would you do that? I'm not saying that you couldn't do that, but for what reason would you?
In order to get 8 culture per turn. (Remember: I'm talking about a 20K victory with a bad tundra start here.) 8cpt is quite strong in a 20K game, even if we don't get the extra production of the "Hospital effect".

(Remember: I'm talking about a 20K victory with a bad tundra start here.)

You only need four ocean/sea squares with a harbor to get a tundra city to size 6. So, just swap to those tiles when you're ready to do this.

But, that said with a tundra start it might just work out better to swap your 20k city/capital to a better location.

I guess I've never really played cold maps, but does there really exist that much tundra that you can't re-locate?

If you can find a better place early enough, then it would probably/definitely pay off to switch. Problem is only: you would need to take this decision very early in the game: "do I start building culture here where I am, so that I have a chance of reaching 20K before 2050 AD, or do I prepare everything for a move to a better place -- and then run the risk that I can't find/conquer anything appropriate or that by that time all the good AA wonders have already been taken by the AI?"

To be honest: even for the "Ghandi on the Rocks" game I played recently, I don't know, which would be the better strategy. Because even with that bad start, we would probably be able to take 2-3 wonders like Colossus, Zeus and GLib, while it took me until like 600 AD, before my new capital was up and running (I was much surprised during the game... expected it to be much easier...!) And at that late time it is probably no longer possible to catch up, is it?

Last edited:
All, is there a mod that allows pillaging of city ruins or otherwise is there any way to get rid of them like Civ4? Can I build improvements over them? They're an eye sore on the map. Is there a mod that does away with them or that allows me to be rid of them?

All, is there a mod that allows pillaging of city ruins or otherwise is there any way to get rid of them like Civ4? Can I build improvements over them? They're an eye sore on the map. Is there a mod that does away with them or that allows me to be rid of them?
You can build tile-improvements over ruins -- even just a road is enough to clear them. You lose a Worker-turn moving onto the tile in C3C, though.

(In PtW, where ruins were introduced, tiles with destroyed towns still retained their roads, so the Worker could arrive and immediately start mining/irrigating to clear the debris...).

Hi.......Only one question. I have gotten to a point where a pop-up tells me *too many cities* when I want a settler to build one. Playing Civ III/Conquests.......Wow, that's it? I cannot build more cities? And now what? Maybe is there a mod to change this? Has anyone an idea? Thank you, much appreciated.
Fred

Hi.......Only one question. I have gotten to a point where a pop-up tells me *too many cities* when I want a settler to build one. Playing Civ III/Conquests.......Wow, that's it? I cannot build more cities? And now what? Maybe is there a mod to change this? Has anyone an idea? Thank you, much appreciated.
Fred
The city-limit is hardcoded (at 512 cities per map), so no 'mod' (i.e. an edited .biq file, plus any supporting text-/art-files) would be able to fix this per se.

However, some years back CFC-user Antal1987 produced multiple patches (or hacks, depending on one's PoV) of the Civ3Conquests.exe, which increased the city limit beyond the Firaxis-limit, among other things (he got the Science Age working as well). The city limit has only been lifted for the human player though -- the AI will not build additional cities, and will raze captured cities beyond the limit (unless you use one of the Antal-patches which also includes the 'NoRaze' fix).

Use of the Antal patch would (I believe) also disqualify you from submitting entries to the CFC-GotMs or -HoF, and might also cause problems with participation in e.g. succession or multiplayer games -- but if you're only interested in non-competitive solo-games, then you don't need to worry about that.

Thanks tjs282, that info was quite helpful to me. I don't care about the CFC-GotMs or -HoF, I am a soloplayer. ;) So, the "No Raze" fix will surely mine to explore. Thanks and much appreciated. ;)

Fred

I have 2 questions:
1.I'm monarchy,no war weariness,but now after more new cities captured I have main cities with unhappiness,need entertainers .In Civ III is too like in Civ II,unhappiness due to civilization size?
2.How can see my casualties,units lost,I don't see this option in the game? In CivAssist too,I don't see this.

I have 2 questions:
1.I'm monarchy,no war weariness,but now after more new cities captured I have main cities with unhappiness,need entertainers .In Civ III is too like in Civ II,unhappiness due to civilization size?
Yes, there is unhappiness due to town size/ difficulty level: the number of citizens born content by default decreases from 5 (at Warlord difficulty) to 1 (at Emperor and above). Captured cities may also have unhappiness due to Despotic/ Feudal(?)/ Communist/ Fascist whip-rushing by the ruthless AI, and/or conscription (in towns >Pop6), and/or foreign nationals being unhappy at your war against their motherland (which is not the same as war-weariness).

Also, bear in mind that Whipping (possibly also Conscription?)-unhappiness doesn't go away when a town changes hands, and cannot be solved by abandoning a captured town: that unhappiness is then transferred to the town's nearest neighbour(s). So you can easily end up with Whip-unhappiness in towns which were never whipped by you.

You can find out why there is unhappiness in any given city, by clicking on one of the unhappy-citizen popheads in the city-screen:
"It's just too crowded" = Overpopulation
"All we are sayin'..." = War weariness (so you won't see this one under Despotism/ Monarchy/ Communism/ Fascism)
"Stop the aggression...!" = Foreign citizen unhappiness
"We cannot forget the cruel oppression..." = Whipping
"No more draft! Hell, no..." = Conscription
2.How can see my casualties,units lost,I don't see this option in the game? In CivAssist too,I don't see this.
This information is not provided by the game. The closest thing is the F3 (military advisor) screen, which shows 'Units lost to/captured from' at the bottom of your current unit-inventory, but this only applies to the capture-able units, i.e. (in the base game) Workers, bombardment-units (Catapults, etc.), and Scouts (if EXP).

Yes, there is unhappiness due to town size/ difficulty level: the number of citizens born content by default decreases from 5 (at Warlord difficulty) to 1 (at Emperor and above). Captured cities may also have unhappiness due to Despotic/ Feudal(?)/ Communist/ Fascist whip-rushing by the ruthless AI, and/or conscription (in towns >Pop6), and/or foreign nationals being unhappy at your war against their motherland (which is not the same as war-weariness).

Also, bear in mind that Whipping (possibly also Conscription?)-unhappiness doesn't go away when a town changes hands, and cannot be solved by abandoning a captured town: that unhappiness is then transferred to the town's nearest neighbour(s). So you can easily end up with Whip-unhappiness in towns which were never whipped by you.

You can find out why there is unhappiness in any given city, by clicking on one of the unhappy-citizen popheads in the city-screen:
"It's just too crowded" = Overpopulation
"All we are sayin'..." = War weariness (so you won't see this one under Despotism/ Monarchy/ Communism/ Fascism)
"Stop the aggression...!" = Foreign citizen unhappiness
"We cannot forget the cruel oppression..." = Whipping
"No more draft! Hell, no..." = Conscription
This information is not provided by the game. The closest thing is the F3 (military advisor) screen, which shows 'Units lost to/captured from' at the bottom of your current unit-inventory, but this only applies to the capture-able units, i.e. (in the base game) Workers, bombardment-units (Catapults, etc.), and Scouts (if EXP).
Thank you.I have unhappiness in capital and other big core cities,this appearing few turns ago,and I don't understand why.I don't use drafts,no Nationalism,more turn these cities size 12 no problems with happiness.

Thank you.I have unhappiness in capital and other big core cities,this appearing few turns ago,and I don't understand why.I don't use drafts,no Nationalism,more turn these cities size 12 no problems with happiness.
Did you perhaps lose a Lux-import, e.g. due to your war cutting a trade-route, or your supplier signing an Embargo against you -- or being destroyed? If your towns were happy/content due to the Lux-magnification from a Marketplace (e.g. your 5th+6th Lux each give +3 Happyfaces with a Market), and you then lost a Lux(es), you would suddenly get an 'unexplained' increase in unhappiness.

Or if you built (or captured) an Ancient-Age happiness-improving Wonder such as Hanging Gardens (direct contributor to civ-wide happiness), Temple of Artemis, and/or Oracle (indirect happiness via Temples), but then acquired the tech which obsoleted that Wonder (Steam for HGard, Theology for Oracle, Edu for ToA), that would also cause a sudden jump in unhappiness.

Last edited:
In Civ III is too like in Civ II,unhappiness due to civilization size?
No. And I think, in Civ II there was NO unhappinesss due to civilization size either. Wasn't this concept introduced in Civ V? (In Civ I and Civ II there was no "penalty" for civ size. In Civ III the penalty was "corruption". People didn't like this so far, so for Civ IV they changed it to "more cities cost you more money, until you go bancrupt", and in Civ V they changed it to "more cities make your civ globally unhappy".

So you are at war? Could War Weariness be the cause of the problem...? No, you can't see your current losses anywhere, but tjs282 already told you, how you can recognize war weariness.

If you are still unsure, please attach two .sav files, one before and one after the unhappiness kicked in. (Perhaps you still have auto-save files?!) Then we can take a look.

Did you
Did you perhaps lose a Lux-import, e.g. due to your war cutting a trade-route, or your supplier signing an Embargo against you -- or being destroyed? If your towns were happy/content due to the Lux-magnification from a Marketplace (e.g. your 5th+6th Lux each give +3 Happyfaces with a Market), and you then lost a Lux(es), you would suddenly get an 'unexplained' increase in unhappiness.

Or if you built (or captured) an Ancient-Age happiness-improving Wonder such as Hanging Gardens (direct contributor to civ-wide happiness), Temple of Artemis, and/or Oracle (indirect happiness via Temples), but then acquired the tech which obsoleted that Wonder (Steam for HGard, Theology for Oracle, Edu for ToA), that would also cause a sudden jump in unhappiness.
Not,HG is in my capital available,2 luxuries,wine and silk were always.Unhappines appeared few turns ago,I don't know the reason.Just civ size can explain,if I'm in Monarchy,no war weariness.

No. And I think, in Civ II there was NO unhappinesss due to civilization size either. Wasn't this concept introduced in Civ V? (In Civ I and Civ II there was no "penalty" for civ size. In Civ III the penalty was "corruption". People didn't like this so far, so for Civ IV they changed it to "more cities cost you more money, until you go bancrupt", and in Civ V they changed it to "more cities make your civ globally unhappy".

So you are at war? Could War Weariness be the cause of the problem...? No, you can't see your current losses anywhere, but tjs282 already told you, how you can recognize war weariness.

If you are still unsure, please attach two .sav files, one before and one after the unhappiness kicked in. (Perhaps you still have auto-save files?!) Then we can take a look.
1.Unhappiness due to civ size was ALWAYS in Civ II.In Civ II is a limit for number of cities without unhappiness depending by size of the map and government.For Deity (highest difficulty) level example,for medium map limits are: 4 cities for despotism,6 for monarchy,8 for republic,10 for democracy.For large map,limits are:6 despotism,9 monarchy,12 republic,15 democracy.This means:if I build 5-6 cities in despotism normal size,sure will have 'red citizens' for those 1-2 cities over the limit.
2.I wrote,I'm in Monarchy,no reason for war weariness.I attached 2 saves,before happiness problem and with problems.

Attachments

• happy ok 1180.SAV
    228.4 KB · Views: 45
  • unhappiness 1190.SAV
    226.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Top Bottom