Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I played recently Civ III Multiplayer,in Steam,that Steam version and science advisor in my multiplayer game don't ask for order for the next research,so need to look always in the right corner down last line to see the number of turns remained,to switch research quick if my advisor is on the wrong path...
Is a solution for this,advisor to wait order ?

I played recently Civ III Multiplayer,in Steam,that Steam version and science advisor in my multiplayer game don't ask for order for the next research,so need to look always in the right corner down last line to see the number of turns remained,to switch research quick if my advisor is on the wrong path...
Is a solution for this,advisor to wait order ?

What you do is click on the button for the Advisor screen and go to the Science Advisor. There you see the current Tech Tree, with the Tech already researched in Blue, the Current Tech being researched in Green, and the Techs to be researched showing Brown. What you can do is set up the entire research path by holding down the Shift Key, and then clicking on each Tech to be researched in the order that you want them. I normally set up a research path for the entire Era that I am in when I reach that Era. I have several standard research paths that I use.

Also, do not forget to check your Finance Advisor for how you are setting your research verses entertainment spending, and adjust those as needed.

One of the important issues about the cost factor is that above regent Research costs stay the same for AI but for human player they scale up by 10/cost factor. Having to pay 2.5 times the beakers for research is a major consideration at Sid.

There is a way to get around this by using the editor and a pre-generated map with your civilization starting position set in advance, hopefully with lots of extra resources to help you keep up with the AI. Several of the Wonder have the ability to double your research, or you can set them to double your research. What you can do is set them to require a specific resource to be built, either within the city radius or at least under the control of your civilization. Then locate that resource in the tile your Capital is going on, and have that be the only location of that resource. I generally label it Monument Stone. That gets added to the resource list in the editor as either a strategic or luxury resource. If you wish to further stack the deck a little in your favor, you can add up to 25 extra food, commerce, and gold to that. I normally use extra shields, but if you are going to do it for the Sid level, you might as well go all out. As your city is sitting right on top of it, you can get the extra bonuses from the start of the game.

There are a few other things you can do with something like this, depending on how creative you wish to be, and how much you want to get some bonuses in your favor at the highest level.

By the way, thanks Justanick for mentioning the difference in research cost for the human player as you increase the difficulty level. I have gone from Chieftain to Regent recently, and was noticing that it was taking longer and more money for research. That explains it. I might have to use some of my own ideas to compensate.

Last edited:
What you do is click on the button for the Advisor screen and go to the Science Advisor. There you see the current Tech Tree, with the Tech already researched in Blue, the Current Tech being researched in Green, and the Techs to be researched showing Brown. What you can do is set up the entire research path by holding down the Shift Key, and then clicking on each Tech to be researched in the order that you want them. I normally set up a research path for the entire Era that I am in when I reach that Era. I have several standard research paths that I use.

Also, do not forget to check your Finance Advisor for how you are setting your research verses entertainment spending, and adjust those as needed.

Thank you,but I'm not a 100 % noob;),I played some maps single player.In single player the science advisor always asks for the next research and I frequently verify tax rate,to see if can save some money slowing research,to be the same number of turns.Was a bad surprise in multiplayer Steam version to see an 'independent' science advisor.To set a path is not a bad idea,but you can take a tech from a hut or having one AI or 2 close,to decrease the research or to change the path for a future exchange with they or other tricks.Missing a solution now,will remain:'eyes on the right corner down,numbers of turns remained for that tech':).

There is a way to get around this by using the editor and a pre-generated map with your civilization starting position set in advance, hopefully with lots of extra resources to help you keep up with the AI.

Then one might as well stack the deck by placing a city with all wonders in it. With tourism soon raising to 14 gold per relevant wonder and the three +100% research wonders applying as well research from tourism alone will soon reach ~1500 beakers per turn.

Generally speaking i consider the high research cost at Sid a good thing because it might means that increasing the economic output can still help with research while at lower settings the lower boundary of 4 turns per tech can reached somewhat early.

By the way, thanks Justanick for mentioning the difference in research cost for the human player as you increase the difficulty level. I have gone from Chieftain to Regent recently, and was noticing that it was taking longer and more money for research. That explains it.

It does not because it does not apply below regent. Regent and below share the research costs of regent.

All Levels for research are affected by the Difficulty Levels.
Specifically, the Number of citizens born content and the Percentage of optimal cities. Both factors have the main influence for Research on all levels.

They do effect the research output in beakers, albeit the difference can be small. The difference in research costs does outweight the changes in economic output caused by the 2 factors you mentioned.

Hi, I was wondering, is there a mod or option on Civ3 that let's me see the city borders on the map all the time? I really dislike having to play around with the grid and the info page of each city to figure out the best possible location for each town.... >_>

Hi, I was wondering, is there a mod or option on Civ3 that let's me see the city borders on the map all the time? I really dislike having to play around with the grid and the info page of each city to figure out the best possible location for each town.... >_>
No, there isn't: either you'll need to leave the grid on (which I do anyway, because otherwise I tend to misdirect my units), or you could try using (the World-map function in) CivAssist II (if you don't have it already, you can DL the latest version from here).

Among other incredibly helpful things it does, this app allows you to plan out your city-placement ahead of time, and will store the plan associated with any particular savegame from one play session to the next. The CAII World-map screen also has a right-click option to turn the city radii (BFCs) on/off, so you can see exactly which tiles your (planned) towns will have access to/ how much overlap they will have with their nearest neighbours.

You can also run CAII without actually running Civ3, allowing you to do your town-planning separately from your gametime. (CAII imports your current terrain graphics from your Civ3 install-location, and I have found that opening the World-map in CAII while Civ3 is running, tends to cause the map to take (much) longer to load).

OK, I got it to work (had to work hard and get help from another thread), it's not exactly what I wan't, but it does have a ton of info and options condensed few screens, which is nice... It would have been superb if the "go to map" option actually used the game hehehe... Thanks for the help! :)

It's been years since I played Civilization IV, and I just bought Civilization III Complete. I'd say I have a decent grasp on the basic mechanics (and I'm reading through the manual and various guides to get acquainted to III's differences to IV) but there's two absurdly simple questions I have:

1. Do mines and irrigation in neutral territory (outside your borders but not claimed by other civs) linked to your cities via roads contribute to shields and food? I'm assuming not.

2. There's only two consequences to mining as much terrain as possible: could end up neglecting irrigation which screws up city growth, and pollution will arise in the future. Am I correct?

It's been years since I played Civilization IV, and I just bought Civilization III Complete. I'd say I have a decent grasp on the basic mechanics (and I'm reading through the manual and various guides to get acquainted to III's differences to IV) but there's two absurdly simple questions I have:

1. Do mines and irrigation in neutral territory (outside your borders but not claimed by other civs) linked to your cities via roads contribute to shields and food? I'm assuming not.

2. There's only two consequences to mining as much terrain as possible: could end up neglecting irrigation which screws up city growth, and pollution will arise in the future. Am I correct?

1. Nope.

2. That depends on what you mean by "consequences". From a certain point of view mining every tile would reduce pollution in-game since pollution is largely based on improvements and population. Less food equals less population equals less pollution. But you are right that until the industrial age, mining everything can be detrimental to city growth as you need a fresh water source or an irrigation trail (where you irrigate from a tile and then irrigate from there to where you need it).

You do not get anything from any tiles not withing your city radii, except, of course, any resources you can exploit with colonies.

Only if you build hospitals.
Or Shakespeare's... :old:

( :D)

To be precise: pollution is caused by
  1. Population beyond size 12. This can be reduced by building a Mass Transit.
  2. Certain improvements (Factory, Coal Plant, Offshore Platform, Airport, Research Lab, Commercial Dock, Manufacturing Plant). This can be reduced by building a Recycling Plant.

BTW, this leads me to another interesting question: Shakespeare's allows growth beyond size 12 just like a Hospital. Let's assume a town without fresh water. Before you can build a Hospital there, you have to build an Aqueduct. However, Shakespeare's can be built without an Aqueduct. So does it also allow growth beyond size 6, or do you first need to build an Aqueduct as well, in order to get the effect from Shakespeare's? :dunno:
I never noticed, because usually I build Shakespeare's only in a 20K game, and in a 20K game I have my city up to size 12 long before I'm able to build Shakespeare's...

Hmmm, that is something that I can check in a game I am playing. I have a fair number of one tile islands that I could settle and then put Shakespeare's one, prior to building an aqueduct.

BTW, this leads me to another interesting question: Shakespeare's allows growth beyond size 12 just like a Hospital. Let's assume a town without fresh water. Before you can build a Hospital there, you have to build an Aqueduct. However, Shakespeare's can be built without an Aqueduct. So does it also allow growth beyond size 6, or do you first need to build an Aqueduct as well, in order to get the effect from Shakespeare's?

I don't remember a more useless question in terms of strategy. I will challenge you to concoct a scenario where that would prove useful. You've had Construction for over half an age, you didn't build an aqueduct, and now you want to dump 450 shields instead of 100 or 50 shields into a growth building? I did just manage think of a scenario where it MIGHT prove useful, but it actually ends up as a rather rough and wild guess. So, I'll let you try to concoct such a scenario first Lanzelot.

I will challenge you to concoct a scenario where that would prove useful.
I never claimed it would be useful for anything... Just a "completely academic" question about game mechanics. (I have always been of the "inquisitive kind"... ;))

But here is one scenario I can think of: you are playing on a really bad tundra-like map at Warlord and you are trying to win by 20K. The food is just barely enough to support a size 6 town. Is it worth researching all the way to Shakespeare's, or do we skip that branch and concentrate on Michelangelo, Bach and Newton instead? Quite an important question in this case.

Top Bottom