Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

But wouldn't that contradict Lord Emsworth's statement above? And it would imply that the coding actively does something to the WW-counter(s) upon government change. Like "if counter > 0, reset to zero, if counter < 0, do nothing". Why should they do something like this? I think this requires a test. I find it hard to believe, as it would also imply that you can get high WW in Republic, then switch to Democracy and then the WW is gone (instead of being even worse than under Republic)...

No. The points are not reset. They are kept. It is just so that you donnot gain any more points and all existing (positive) points donnot have any effect. For Nonnegative points i had tested this, the Civ3Multitool allows to read out those WW-points. The role of war happiness i did not investigate.

Currently messing about with my first attempt at the Sengoku Conquest at Emp. Holding my own, but currently stalled in the mid-game because my Ninja are ninje-ing completely ineffectively against the Daimyo of my current target -- who is down to 2 towns -- and those apparently superhuman **** D=5 warrior-monks that every AI seems to have piled in their capitals, are skewering my A=7 Mounted Samurai in droves (I just hope I have Saltpeter when Gunpowder comes in, in a couple of turns' time -- or I'll need to build [EDIT]some Fire Cannon a big stack of Siege-Crossbows...[/EDIT]).

But 'How to win this?' is not my question; my question is to do with the Stealth-attack target-list, because that's not a feature I've used very much before. While my Ninja aren't having the desired effect (of assassinating my target's King), it did occur to me to wonder how the target-list is ordered. The Daimyo-unit always seems to be near/at the bottom, so does the list use the same ordering priority as the 'top-defender' selection, strongest to weakest (i.e. I should hit the units at the bottom of the list first)? Or is it just random?

(I'm sure this has already been covered somewhere on CFC, but I still haven't figured out what trick(s) I need to use the XenForo search-function effectively -- i.e. to get a shortlist of results that falls in that happy medium between "every post ever posted that might possibly match, including those for all other Civ-versions" :nope: and "zero" :rolleyes: -- so if someone could give me some pointers on that score as well, I'd appreciate it...)

Last edited:
(I'm sure this has already been covered somewhere on CFC, but I still haven't figured out what trick(s) I need to use the XenForo search-function effectively -- i.e. to get a shortlist of results that falls in that happy medium between "every post ever posted that might possibly match, including those for all other Civ-versions" :nope: and "zero" :rolleyes: -- so if someone could give me some pointers on that score as well, I'd appreciate it...)
I have not used it much here, but my general solution to a sites poor build in search function is to use google. If you add the search term site:forums.civfanatics.com it will return only results from that site, using google quite good search algorithm. I have tried it for this query and it does not help much, but worth bearing in mind.

But 'How to win this?' is not my question; my question is to do with the Stealth-attack target-list, because that's not a feature I've used very much before. While my Ninja aren't having the desired effect (of assassinating my target's King), it did occur to me to wonder how the target-list is ordered. The Daimyo-unit always seems to be near/at the bottom, so does the list use the same ordering priority as the 'top-defender' selection, strongest to weakest (i.e. I should hit the units at the bottom of the list first)? Or is it just random?

I'm not sure I understand your question?! As far as I know, there is no "trick" to it. Last time I used it (in a PBEM game, which used the somewhat simplified version of the Sengoku Scenario for 8 players) you could just select any unit from that list you wished, and the Ninja attacked it. I actually used that feature to kill the Daimyo of one of the other human players, who had not yet discovered the tech for that Warrior Monk unit, so could not yet see my invisible Ninjas... :devil:

I'm not sure I understand your question?! As far as I know, there is no "trick" to it. Last time I used it (in a PBEM game, which used the somewhat simplified version of the Sengoku Scenario for 8 players) you could just select any unit from that list you wished, and the Ninja attacked it. I actually used that feature to kill the Daimyo of one of the other human players, who had not yet discovered the tech for that Warrior Monk unit, so could not yet see my invisible Ninjas... :devil:
No, I understand how to select a specific target on the Stealth-attack target-menu -- but on my first assassination-run, all 4 of my Ninjas lost 1HP to Samurai-Archer def-bombs before they got to the Daimyo, who then killed them and got promoted to Grandmaster. So on the second run, I wanted to try taking out some/all of the Archers first, before sending my Ninjas back in against the Daimyo -- but since the target-list gives neither A/D-values, nor HP remaining, there is no visible indication of which potential target(s) is/are the weakest. However, if the enemy units are presented in the same order as e.g. the defender-order for normal, non-Stealth combats (i.e. high-D*HP units at the top, low-D*HP units at the bottom), then it would make 'sense' to try and :ninja: the lowest-level 'defenders' first.
Spoiler Jaw... dropped :
I confess utter amazement that you managed to get Ninjas before one player got Yamabushi, though! Did you use a reciprocal research-agreement with one of the other human players, so you could [both] reach Feudalism in record time? Otherwise, unless you picked a tribe with a peachy starting point, and/or got very lucky with tech-trading, I don't see how else you could have done it...? And I'm not sure that would even be possible in a solo-game -- every Tribe I met went for the Yamabushi-techalmost immediately, plus none of the Sengoku-tribes appear to have any Civ-traits, so research-speed is basically a question of terrain/expansion, rather than any inherent advantages...

FWIW, I'm playing as the Uesugi on this run, randomly selected, because I had no idea who would be 'easiest' to play (nor whether the Sengoku-tribes actually have fixed starting points) -- started on the northeast coast of Hokkaido. I'm doing OK -- did finally manage to assassinate both the Date and the Morigame(?) Daimyo (took 5 Ninjas each), and Settled their land. Now eyeing the Hojo as my next target -- would rather go after the Takeda, but not sure I can take them on. Yet.

Might try the Takeda or Mori next time, though, since they're the 2 runaways in this game: Mori now owns most of the southern end of Hokkaido, and Takeda had >10000 gold for multiple turns throughout the 2nd era, I believe from tech-trading -- although he appears to have spent it all now, presumably on his war with the Mori...
And the 'trick' I really want to learn, is how to use the CFC/XenForo search-function, because right now (for me, anyway), it's a pile of rather stinky pants. I'm usually pretty good at picking key-words for internet searches, in order to zero in on 10-12 likely matches for what I'm looking for specifically, rather than trawling through a list of >100 'possible matches', but ever since the Forum-migration, my google-fu fails miserably here. With Google, each search term is considered separately, and/or I can use Boolean operators to include/exclude specific terms -- but this doesn't seem to apply on CFC, and I'm not sure whether I'm just doing something wrong, or whether the 'ElasticSearch' module I've read about (e.g. here), just hasn't been installed...

Last edited:
I have some experience with the EFZI scenario in which you can use some stealth units to target specific enemies. Getting the correct Sated Alpha Zombie you've already bombed down is almost impossible, but I *think* the order is that in which they were created. At least that was a probable hypothesis when I played it a few months ago.

Hello , I am new here and glad to see a few still around, I i am trying to learn modding , having played this game since 2000,

Welcome, Venemo! It's never too late to learn.

if am following the discussion correctly , ı have grown to like attacking archers first . They fire a defensive volley which might hurt my attacking unit but their defence is weaker compared to pikemen or equivalent . With enough numbers on my side ı can really leave troublesome units to the end .

There's also the fact that they are far better attackers than Samurai Spearmen, and that having such a decrease in offensive power might render the AI more willing to negotiate (as far as the AI can ever be said to be rational).

I confess utter amazement that you managed to get Ninjas before one player got Yamabushi, though! Did you use a reciprocal research-agreement with one of the other human players, so you could [both] reach Feudalism in record time? Otherwise, unless you picked a tribe with a peachy starting point, and/or got very lucky with tech-trading, I don't see how else you could have done it...?

It was my first ever PBEM and I was so scared that I played every turn at 100%... I did some good trading with others and reached Feudalism first, and then bee-lined along the optional path (getting a free tech for Philosophy). The other player played more or less for himself (didn't trade too much, I suspect), was at most Regent level and also was not familiar with the Scenario (as far as I can tell), so he either underestimated the time, when Ninjas would become available to the tech leader, or did not know all the units of the game and which tech made them available?! In any case, when he reached the next age, he first went for other techs in the Bujutsu-branch instead of getting Bojutsu first.
My starting tribe was the Takeda, which is pretty much average I would say. (In the multi-player version of the Sengoku Scenario, all start positions are pretty much balanced in my opinion, except for the Mori tribe, which is at a real disadvantage: has slightly worse land than the others, will get boxed in quite early and needs longer than anybody else before it gets all contacts. And perhaps the Imagawa tribe, because it doesn't have fresh water for its capital.

I have a question about archers:
They have bombard 1.If I attack a slot having archers,they will bombard always,or is a percentage?
What is exactly that bombard 1,chances to decrease HP of attacker or defender with 1 ?

I have a question about archers:
They have bombard 1.If I attack a slot having archers,they will bombard always,or is a percentage?
What is exactly that bombard 1,chances to decrease HP of attacker or defender with 1 ?
No, not exactly.

If an Archer is part of a stack, but is not the top defender within the stack, then when the stack-defender is attacked, the Archer will always fire one 'defensive-volley' against the incoming attacker, once per (inter)turn. Whether or not that bombardment 'hits' the attacker is calculated by the RNG in the usual way: the Archer's B-value is matched against the incoming attacker's defensive strength (D), and if the bombardment 'wins', it removes 1 hit-point from the attacker.

Spoiler Worked example :
If 2 Swords (A=3, D=2) attack a stack consisting of a Spear (A=1, D=2) + 2 Archers (A=2, D=1, B=1), then each Sword has a 1/3 chance (B/[B+D] = 1/[1+2]) of losing a hit-point to one of the Archers, before the Sword closes to attack in 'melee combat' (against either the Spear, or the top-Archer, if the Spear is too badly damaged -- or dead -- following the first attack).

Even if all 3 units in the stack survive the 2 Sword-attacks, both the Archers will now have fired their defensive volleys; so if the stack is attacked a third time during the same turn, the 3rd attacker will get to attack the top defender without being shot at on the way in.
The 'defensive bombardment' ability does not just apply to Archers, but to all units with a B-value: i.e. (in the epic game) Longbowmen, French Musketeers, Guerillas, TOW Infantry, all land-bombardment units (from Catapults to Radar Artillery), Byzantine Dromons, and all post-Astronomy ships.

Last edited:
OK,thank you much again.That D from B/[B+D](spoiler example) is the defense of swordman,of spearman,or total defense of both archers? If 2 swordmen attack a stack with 4 archers,4 warriors,each swordman has chance 4x(1/[1+2])=4/3 to loose 1 HP from bombard or other is formula?

Last edited:
OK,thank you much again.That D from B/[B+D](spoiler example) is the defense of swordman
Yes. It would probably have been clearer if I'd written BArcher1/[BArcher1+DSword1], but I was too lazy to add all the {sub}{/sub} tags

(We need a sub/superscript option in the toolbar, Mr Thunderfall!) ;)
of spearman,or total defense of both archers?
No
If 2 swordmen attack a stack with 4 archers,4 warriors,each swordman has chance 4x(1/[1+2])=4/3 to loose 1 HP from bombard or other is formula?
No. The total number of units in the stack is irrelevant to the attacking unit's D-value, and only one defensive bombardment will be fired per attack. So if only 2 Swords attack, only 2 Archers will shoot -- one Archer-shot per Sword-attack -- and each Sword has a 1/3 chance of losing 1HP from that bombardment.

Yes. It would probably have been clearer if I'd written BArcher1/[BArcher1+DSword1], but I was too lazy to add all the {sub}{/sub} tags

(We need a sub/superscript option in the toolbar, Mr Thunderfall!) ;)NoNo. The total number of units in the stack is irrelevant to the attacking unit's D-value, and only one defensive bombardment will be fired per attack. So if only 2 Swords attack, only 2 Archers will shoot -- one Archer-shot per Sword-attack -- and each Sword has a 1/3 chance of losing 1HP from that bombardment.

So if I understand this defensive bombardment formula correctly, for it to work properly the bombard strength of units with defensive bombardment would have to scale with the defense strength of units as more advanced and stronger units become availabe?

For example, an Archer would get pretty lousy chances of damaging a Modern Armor, correct?

For example, an Archer would get pretty lousy chances of damaging a Modern Armor, correct?
Yup. Well, that is, less chance than they would have of damaging a Warrior or Sword, say. Against a Tank (D=8) the damage-prob would be 1/9, rather than 1/2 or 1/3. But 1/9 is still >10%, so an Archer might still be able to scratch the paintwork, before he got squished...

Spoiler Off-topic ego-massage :
One of the things I've done in my EGO-ModTM -- partly to make up for the AI's tendency to not build/use dedicated bombardment-units -- is to give all ranged-weapon units a zero-range def.bomb ability, so that there is a gradual upscale of defensive-bombardment strength through the ages: I generally set B = [A+D]/2, rounded up -- so e.g. Archers and LBMs are now also slightly more effective than they are in the epic-game. But I also gave late-game hand-built units bonus HP (+1 after Gunpowder, +2 after RepParts) to reduce the 'Spear vs. Tank' phenomenon. Finally, I integrated the Guerrilla and TOWInf into the Rifle -> MechInf chain, so that the AI wouldn't hand-build them if it could rather build the better units -- but I've also made the resourceless units 10s cheaper than the 'equivalent' resource-requiring units, and restricted the draft to the resourceless units -- which can then be upgraded for a small sum if the necessary resources are still available. I should probably play-test all this properly at some point...).

Top Bottom