Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

After a while, when the citizens of that city are working the jungle tiles, you run the risk of disease stunting the growth of that city. Road the tiles, even if you don't clear the jungle right away. Jungle can be a good place to find Rubber, when you research Replaceable Parts.

After a while, when the citizens of that city are working the jungle tiles, you run the risk of disease stunting the growth of that city. Road the tiles, even if you don't clear the jungle right away. Jungle can be a good place to find Rubber, when you research Replaceable Parts.
Oh, definitely. I was able to eventually clear all the jungle tiles (and all the marshland tiles as well), but found no rubber there. Had to go to war against the Zulu to steal it from them, since they were insufficiently advanced to be able to trade it. My new (I've done it once or twice before) favorite way to do this: bring a ton of units and a settler, build a city right on top of the resource if on the coast, or as near as possible, then rush-build a harbor right away to get access to the resource. Then just play defense until I'm ready to go on the offensive (assuming I'm not ready right out of the gate).

In this case, I ended up beating the Zulu with the help of the Spanish (had an MPP), who then - despite being "Gracious" toward me, DoW'd on me for no reason, so I took them out as well, which gave me access to aluminum and uranium (which I also had none of). (I had also taken out the extremely weak Romans earlier in the game.) Now I'm building the spaceship. I've been working parallel on a civ-cultural victory (80K-small map), but it turns out unnecessary since I got to 4-turn techs fairly quickly (which only happens to me with Sci civs). I could probably, if I chose, take out the last 2 civs, but it would take longer than the spaceship, so I'm just focusing on that, now. I should be done in relatively few turns, though I just started I'm already working on half the parts.

After a while, when the citizens of that city are working the jungle tiles, you run the risk of disease stunting the growth of that city.
This is not quite true.

The rule is, Any town with Jungle (or Marsh, or Floodplain) tiles in its BFC, can suffer a disease outbreak at any time, regardless of which tiles the town's labourers are working at that point. Disease outbreaks always last 2 turns, killing 1 pop-point each turn. Additionally, any unit fortified(?) on a Jungle (or Marsh, or Floodplain?) tile for more than 1(?) turn, may spontaneously drop dead of disease.

To get rid of city-disease caused by Jungle (and Marsh) BFC tiles, you have to chop (or drain) all those tiles. The only way to get rid of city-disease caused by Floodplains (IIRC), is to learn Sanitation.
Road the tiles, even if you don't clear the jungle right away.
Agree with this. Or (if you have Workers/Slaves to burn) drop Colonies on any Jungle Lux-tile just beyond your towns' borders: after your borders expand, those tiles will automatically become roaded and cleared.

after your borders expand, those tiles will automatically become roaded and cleared.
Are you sure about the tile being cleared?

Are you sure about the tile being cleared?
Yup, a Colony removes vegetation from the tile, just like a Town would. So you could also clear a Strat/Lux-Res Forest tile that way (though that would presumably waste the chop-shields).

I'd have to look in the Editor to find out whether Marsh can be Colonised as well, but I would suspect not (although according to my cheat-sheet, both Rubber and Oil can appear there).

Yup, a Colony removes vegetation from the tile, just like a Town would. So you could also clear a Strat/Lux-Res Forest tile that way (though that would presumably waste the chop-shields).
Which is not a problem with Jungle, which provides none (at least, none I've ever noticed, unlike a forest).
I'd have to look in the Editor to find out whether Marsh can be Colonised as well, but I would suspect not (although according to my cheat-sheet, both Rubber and Oil can appear there).
I would be surprised if Marsh could be colonized, since a city cannot be built on it.

I would be surprised if Marsh could be colonized, since a city cannot be built on it.
They're not connected. "Build City" and "Build Colony" are two separate flags under the 'Terrain' rules in the Editor, so any given terrain can allow both jobs, or one, or neither. And having just looked it up, I was right: Marsh allows neither (though you can build Outposts there -- so useful... :rolleyes: ).

They're not connected. "Build City" and "Build Colony" are two separate flags under the 'Terrain' rules in the Editor, so any given terrain can allow both jobs, or one, or neither. And having just looked it up, I was right: Marsh allows neither (though you can build Outposts there -- so useful... :rolleyes: ).
Hm. Haven't used Outposts since I got C3C. Are they actually useful? The description in Civilopedia doesn't make them sound like it.

Which is not a problem with Jungle, which provides none (at least, none I've ever noticed, unlike a forest).
You can still clear jungles and then plant forests instead, in the early ages when you need the production bonus and also you need something to slow down enemy invaders. In the early/Middle Ages, planting forests at your borders is really efficient, especially if your civ has the Industrious trait.

Re: clearing forests: every tile can be replanted and cleared any number of times, but you will only get a shields bonus the first time you clear a tile.
Hm. Haven't used Outposts since I got C3C. Are they actually useful? The description in Civilopedia doesn't make them sound like it.
Depends on how much population you have. Marshes tend to be situated near coastlines and extensive marshlands are a great place for an enemy to land an invasion force unseen. If you just use a couple captured workers to set up outposts you can get highly useful early warning.
But generally, no, it's better to just build a fortress and place a few troops on it. A worker, unless he has been captured very far away from any place where he'll be useful, is better used to work the land.

You can still clear jungles and then plant forests instead, in the early ages when you need the production bonus and also you need something to slow down enemy invaders. In the early/Middle Ages, planting forests at your borders is really efficient, especially if your civ has the Industrious trait.
I don't believe I've planted forests ... it didn't really occur to me it could be useful, but now that you've got me thinking about it I can see it being better than building mines in grassland. If I'm not mistaken, it would give more shields that way?
Depends on how much population you have. Marshes tend to be situated near coastlines and extensive marshlands are a great place for an enemy to land an invasion force unseen. If you just use a couple captured workers to set up outposts you can get highly useful early warning.
But generally, no, it's better to just build a fortress and place a few troops on it. A worker, unless he has been captured very far away from any place where he'll be useful, is better used to work the land.
That's kind of how I thought about it. I don't even usually use Fortresses, either (though I have done so later in some games), just based how most invasions have gone. Usually someone's in my territory, and I tell them to get out or DoW, and they DoW, at which point I can be prepared to go. My current game that's almost over, every time that happened I was not even ready for the war but cleaned up each time (or made a convenient PT until I could be ready). Either way, an Outpost would not have helped anything, Marsh or not.

I don't believe I've planted forests ... it didn't really occur to me it could be useful, but now that you've got me thinking about it I can see it being better than building mines in grassland. If I'm not mistaken, it would give more shields that way?
It depends on your corruption levels and also on what the base terrain is; you might just want to keep the original terrain for its food/gold production. I also recommend that you first build roads and then plant forests, to save you a few headaches.

Grasland with mines give 2 food and 1 shield. Forest gives 1 food and 2 shields. This does not make forest the better choice while you still need to grow but if you have a lot of food and lack shields forest is a good choice. It would be used by the last few citizens possible for a city, so that at size 12 your food yield will be exactly 24 to feed your population but not waste food you cannot use. With railroads grassland with mine will produce 2 fod and 2 shields, thus making it the better choice.

Grasland with mines give 2 food and 1 shield. Forest gives 1 food and 2 shields. This does not make forest the better choice while you still need to grow but if you have a lot of food and lack shields forest is a good choice.
You have to take into account that
a) You cannot expand until you have aqueducts, which are very expensive in terms of shields, and then it's only 12 pop-heads anyway.
b) Your corruption levels will mean that at some point you'll effectively be unable to increase production in peripheral cities.
and balance the two.
As a bonus,
c) if you're Industrious, planting a few forests in a strait or other chokepoint can be very, very nasty against an unsuspecting AI. :evil:

a) You cannot expand until you have aqueducts, which are very expensive in terms of shields, and then it's only 12 pop-heads anyway.

They also are one of the most lucrative buildings. There really are worse ways to use the 10 shields from chopping.

b) Your corruption levels will mean that at some point you'll effectively be unable to increase production in peripheral cities.

I would prefer a slightly weaker formulation than this one. With a courthouse corruption cannot exceed 80% and if 80% would be 7.9 shields, than only 7 shields will be corrupt.

With police stations the upper limit will be 70%, but this is past when forests are useful economically. With railroads forests become economically obsolete.

[Aqueducts] also are one of the most lucrative buildings. There really are worse ways to use the 10 shields from chopping.
I often, especially with later-built cities (or no sooner than Republic, at least), rush the aqueduct. Is that not worth doing, if there are forests nearby? I used to routinely cut forests, but stopped once I realized they are 2-shield squares, so I stopped unless I needed the food more.

With police stations the upper limit will be 70%, but this is past when forests are useful economically. With railroads forests become economically obsolete.
Why is that? Is the combination of railroad+mine (or RR+any square) equally or more useful? I haven't noticed, and have been leaving forests (and mining) when I find I have more food coming in than I need. E.g., I built very few Hospitals my last game, and only when necessary (I traded for Sanitation fairly late in the game, relatively speaking). In fact, most of the cities I needed them for were conquered ones with lots of space in-between (I even had to built a few new ones in conquered territory).

Why is that? Is the combination of railroad+mine (or RR+any square) equally or more useful? I haven't noticed, and have been leaving forests (and mining) when I find I have more food coming in than I need. E.g., I built very few Hospitals my last game, and only when necessary (I traded for Sanitation fairly late in the game, relatively speaking). In fact, most of the cities I needed them for were conquered ones with lots of space in-between (I even had to built a few new ones in conquered territory).
RR+mine is at least as productive as forest on any square. On grassland you get 1 more food, on plains you get 1 more production. On tundra the output is the same, and forest gives reduced movement to attacking troops so forest can be preferable.

I often, especially with later-built cities (or no sooner than Republic, at least), rush the aqueduct. Is that not worth doing, if there are forests nearby? I used to routinely cut forests, but stopped once I realized they are 2-shield squares, so I stopped unless I needed the food more.
A town doesn't actually need a 'Duct until it's at Pop6 and due to fill its food-box in 2T at current harvest: a newly built Duct will then allow the town to roll over to Pop7 without wasting food.

So provided that you can get 100 shields into the Duct-production box before that 2T-deadline, and depending on how many shields you can harvest at Pop5-6, you might not actually need to start building a Duct until just before/after the town rolls over to Pop6.

If you miscalculate and you get into a situation where you'll hit Pop7 in 2T but the Duct still needs >1T to finish (or we're talking about a more marginal location*, where the town will grow to Pop6-and-three-quarters long before the Duct completes), and if there is no other way to get the needed shields into the box on this interturn, then yes, it's worth cash-rushing it. Otherwise, using Forest-chops and unit-disbands is probably preferable to spending your gold.

*But if it's totally marginal (90% corrupt), I wouldn't even bother buliding a Duct there, just farm it.
RR+mine is at least as productive as forest on any square.
True, as @justanick already mentioned
On grassland you get 1 more food, on plains you get 1 more production.
Absolutely NOT true! Railroads boost the output from the terrain-improvement: if irrigated, then food; if mined, then shields.

So they do nothing for Forests, not because these tiles are Forests, but because Forests cannot be mined (or irrigated).
On tundra the output is the same, and forest gives reduced movement to attacking troops so forest can be preferable.
Aesthetically, I'd agree that trees are nicer. But once I start founding them, my Tundra-towns will usually be packed CxC, and I'll be chopping Forests for any needed improvements (e.g. Walls or Harbours) so I'll be down to bare snow everywhere. And once that's the case, it's quicker to dig mines than it is to re-plant the Forest (6T vs 9T).

Railroads boost the output from the terrain-improvement: if irrigated, then food; if mined, then shields.

So they do nothing for Forests, not because these tiles are Forests, but because Forests cannot be mined (or irrigated).
That's a good point, thanks. I'll try to remember that going into my next game (Warlord, Standard map). Can't decide whether to go Scientific-Industrious (Persians, Ottomans) or Scientific-Commercial (Greece, Koreans). Any thoughts? It seems both would have about equal advantages, but I'm leaning toward Industrious for the worker efficiency in getting everything roaded & mined as quickly as possible.

Absolutely NOT true! Railroads boost the output from the terrain-improvement: if irrigated, then food; if mined, then shields.
What I mean is that a forest tile is 1 food, 2 shields. A mined, RR'ed grass tile is 2 food 2 shields (one food more than forest) and a mined, RR'ed plains tile is 1 food 3 shields (one production more than forest). The advantage of forest is that a 2 move unit will only be able to invade at 1 tile per turn, giving you extra turns to get your mobile defence to the area.

if you are playing at a suitably low level , forests with no roads and the like also give some self satisfaction in case you are a true tree-hugger .

Top Bottom