1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

To be clear, it's not a requisite for a unit to be a UU to generate a MGL.

It's ground units killing another unit (ground or water, not sure about air) with a direct attack or bombardment.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    WeirdoJoker likes this.
  2. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Maybe it's happened and I just never noticed.

3. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Thank you all for your quick responses on the odds of creating a Military Great Leader. :goodjob::goodjob:

In my game, I've had well over 100 attacks & defenses by Elite units and still not one MGL! :undecide:.........Don't think I'll be buying a Lottery Ticket today!! :lol:

4. EMan

Okay, I just figured out why I'm not getting a Military Great Leader...............Because I already have a (Scientific) Great Leader sitting around, waiting for a usable Great Wonder to become available!!

I confirmed this with your post, justanick, from June 15, 2016!:
    Right now, I need Armies more than I need Great Wonders! :cool:

5. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

6. EMan

Yes, terrific article, as always, from SirPleb. :goodjob::goodjob:

The only thing I would add to his article is that you can produce a Scientific Great Leader from Technology acquisition, regardless of whether you already own a GL. (I.e. You can own more than 1 GL at a time, but with a limit of 1 MGL).

I don't know if SirPleb is still around the CivFanatics World(?).....Certainly haven't seen him for years at Civ 3. Speaking of years, I visited SirPleb at his home on Vancouver Island, Canada, years ago. A Great Player, A Great Writer, A Swell Guy. So, I raise my glass to you SirPleb and honour you with the ultimate emoji! :king: :)

7. Takhisis

So how did the lottery go?

8. Lanzelot

Wow, that must have been quite an experience! I. Larkin once visited me here in Heidelberg. We talked a bit Civ3 and played a bit of chess... :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  9. EMan

Buying a Lottery Ticket is just an expression, meaning if you're having a Lucky Day, you should buy a Lottery Ticket!.........Of course, in my case, the opposite was true. (I.e. I wasn't getting Military Great Leaders because I had a Scientific GL standing by!)......So, NOT a Good Day to buy a Ticket! :lol:

Yes, SirPleb and I had a good chat, too. His background is computer programming, like mine. We didn't talk chess (although I represented Young England at Chess in a friendly match against Wales, years ago....And beat the Welsh Champion), but I did try to get him to consider doing consulting IT work for my Financial Services companies in London. We talked about Civ3 Game Of The Month and C3C. If I remember correctly, he wasn't a fan of C3C because the Armies had become too strong. Maybe he needed more of a challenge at Sid Level!?? :lol:

10. Lanzelot

Yes, I remember him writing something about that in one of the GOTM discussions. My background is programming as well: started with Assembler and Fortran...

11. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Warlord

What if there's no room on the boat(s)?

12. Theov

Theov Deity

Any good way to nerf Armies? Or just remove them al together, bacause they are mostly a human player crutch.

13. EMan

Unless you're already playing at Sid Level, try playing at a higher level or two.............Armies may save your bacon! :lol:

14. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

simply do not build/form them. the AS won´t form them anyways...
    t_x

15. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

The unit floats in the water until another boat can come and pick it up :lol:

Same thing happens if the amphibious unit has the enslavement ability. Any enslaved units get to take a relaxing swim until they get shipped away.

Not sure what would happen if an enemy ship tried to enter that tile in the meantime, though.

Chicken Pizza likes this.
  16. Takhisis

Play like a true tough hero and just use the leaders to get wonders.

They should be like the Champion units in EFZI, really: according to your current tech level you could just upgrade your leaders to units with high stats, e.g. in the first age a 4.2.1, then in the Middle Ages a 5-3-1, etc. maybe changing it for each civ or cultural group.

17. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Warlord

Make it two units per army, more is OP. The developers surely realized that and solved it quick and dirty with the 4 towns per army restriction, which could be changed to 1 town per army, or perhaps removed completly if you're bold.

And with 2 men armies, dilligent fighting should get you ML more often, especially with the military trait. It makes sense for a military civ to be able to send archer armies with 8 HP versus pikemen, if you don't have iron.

18. Takhisis

I'm not sure whether armies can generate armies.

19. Lanzelot

The leader will float on the water, until another boat comes by to pick him up... There are even screenshots here on this forum showing this...

Chicken Pizza likes this.
  20. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Warlord

I prefer (and love) tiny maps, because I get uninterested after settling or conquering the 10th town and commiting myself to take care of it. Maybe it's the same with children.

The problem is that when I've built an army force and started to wage war, I may just as well keep on producing military to cover my losses, and take over the world.

The Firaxis programmers didn't think of balancing/nerfing that, so what do you suggest? A diplomatic or space victory of necessity, not because I choose it, would feel so nice.