1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. hth

hth Warlord

Hello. Good to see this forum still in good shape. :)

Q: If trade deal via coast is breaking by 3rd hostile side (e.g. barb's galley) then who get rep. hit, if anybody?

---
    On another topic. Usually users go whining then small chance of flipping fired against them. Last time I got reverse: estimated at almost 50% chance city was NEVER flip, without any garrison! Can used by me formula be wrong?

((ycd / ecd) * (ec / yc) * (fn + to + r) * (hc > cc ? 2 : 1) * (cd ? 2 : 1) * (wlkd ? 0.5 : 1)) - us
    // where
    // ycd is "Your capital distance"
    // ecd is "Enemy capital distance"
    // ec is "Enemy Culture"
    // yc is "Your Culture"
    // fn is "Foreign Nationals"
    // to is "Tiles Occupied"
    // r is "Resistors"
    // hc is "Historic Culture"
    // cc is "Current Culture"
    // cd is "Civil Disorder"
    // wlkd is "We Love the King Day"
    // us is "Units stationed"

It was city founded on ruins foreign one, near enemy capital with tremendous culture (1000+,3lvl). So it has these *'s: 4 enemy tiles, 3 times closer distance to enemy capital, and "in awe of" overall enemy's culture (4-5 times according powergraph). 4*3*4 = 48.

One more point: it is TAM 2.1 PtW mod. I have some introductory fun with poor Jews on humble monarch level. :sniper::egypt:

--- add:
    Well, according to CA2 that city has 3.1-6.2% chance, requiring 42 units to cut it off. So (I think) know where I'm wrong: overall result (after substracting units) should be decimated to become actual flip chance.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  2. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

The side which is sending. So I would assume, if you are exchanging a resource with the AI, both of you would get the rep hit. While if you are selling a resource to the AI for gpt, only you would get the hit. (And vice versa.)

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Doesn't stopping gpt also get you a reputation hit?

4. Lanzelot

Good question. But the deal was ended by the AI no longer sending you the resource, not by you stopping to pay the money. Does the game recognize that?

5. Takhisis

I don't know. I don't have any way to read that.

6. hth

hth Warlord

Btw is there a way to see exactly a reputation value? CA2 have no help with.
    Both times it was exchange. For the third time I begin to worry about my reputation and <s>boldly go</s> send galley to investigate this phenomenon. After ages it finally reach the point where waters fall from northern edge of the world so no mortal ship (except merchant boats and flying gods of gpt deals) can pass to Kolchidian coast. :crazyeye:

Chicken Pizza likes this.
  7. Lanzelot

Perhaps we can "indirectly" investigate this: if the AI accepted a resource deal a second (and even a third) time after it got interrupted by barbarians, it seems like your trade rep was not damaged!

8. hth

hth Warlord

Unfortunately I have no saves close to that point...

9. Takhisis

In the name of scientific research, you should play more civ3.

tjs282 likes this.
  10. Theov

Theov Deity

If the AI is saying things like "you should burn like dry wood inside a vulcano because you have betrayed us before" (or something along those lines) then it means your have f_ed him over before. If he didnt say that before, then you broke a promise. Not sure if he takes his rep into consideration. Dont think so, only what he thinks of you.

11. Takhisis

The AI always thinks of itself as never having been to blame for anything in its foreign relations. That is one field in which it is up to the level of the human player.

templar_x, Fergei, Lanzelot and 2 others like this.
  12. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

"That is one field in which it is up to the level of the human player."
    That cracked me up.

13. Samson

Samson Deity

Is there a way to play the Age of Discovery Conquest as the Iroquois?

14. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

The Iroquois must be set in the players settings to be playable by the human player, what I did in the attached biq.

Attached Files:

Samson likes this.
  15. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

Open up the .biq in the Editor, open the Scenario Properties box, "Players" tab, scroll down to Player 9 (the Iroquois) in the upper central box, and then tick the 'Human Player' box in the upper right.

Assuming you don't want to over-write the original, save the edited .biq under a new name, and/or in "...Scenarios", and exit the Editor.

I did something similar to make the Ichijo and Ryuzoji also playable in the Sengoku Conquest.

(Also messed up the Armies and Leaders, but that's another story...)

And appropriately, I apparently just got Ninja'd by Civinator... :ninja: :lol:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Samson likes this.
  16. Samson

Samson Deity

That works perfectly, thank you.
    I have never got an editor working. Which do you use?

17. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

I still use the standard Firaxis Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe (v.1.03, I assume, since I have a DL-version of Civ3Complete from GamersGate), which was installed automatically in my ../CivIII/Conquests/ folder, along with the rest of the game-files.

I do also have @Quintillus' Editor downloaded, but have not installed it yet.

Are you on a Mac or something?

Samson likes this.
  18. Samson

Samson Deity

No, I thought you meant a save game editor. I have that, but I never knew it was there.

tjs282 likes this.
  19. Takhisis

In that scenario, the best course of action is to try the Otomo to conquer all of Kyushu and then try to conquer Honshu and/or Shikoku.

When we say that we used to make our own entertainment before that Internet thing came along, we mean it. ;)

20. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

This post in the Civ3 Strategy forum led me to a discussion of the "AU Mod", which I (now) remember reading about years back (quite possibly before I'd even bought Complete), and being very impressed by/ interested in at the time (to the point where it appears that I've been remembering and implementing their ideas wholesale in my own more recent — and ongoing — modding efforts).

Unfortunately 'Poly seems to have suffered a similar level of link-breakage as CFC over the years, and the main AU Mod thread-link to download the most "recent" release (v.1.07, from 2003?) is no longer directly accessible. So I went googling to see if I could find it anywhere, but (being me) swiftly became distracted by a related (archived?) AUMod discussion thread, where I found the following post which had this to say:
    Now I already knew the first part — but is the bolded really true? Does Slavery really cause an attitude-hit in and of itself, or does this quote possibly represent a misunderstanding on the part of 'Poly-user Killerdaffy, e.g. because his(?) Workers(Foreign) were mostly obtained from razing towns?

It is certainly the case in most of my longer games that my Worker-force is almost entirely foreign by the late game, and by that point it is usually also true that most of the remaining AI-Civs are generally Angry to Furious with me — even though I do my best to avoid breaking deals, usually only fight wars when declared upon (possibly after provoking them, sure, but usually it's not me who issues the DoW!), and I do not raze captured AI-towns, on principle: my Workers(Foreign) are usually obtained by building/rushing them from captured towns after the resistance is quelled.

So, am I really getting attitude-hits from being a nasty slavedriver — or is it just because I is winning?