1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

From inside a City, the AI will Bombard and Kill redlined Units with Lethal Bombarding Units.

Generally, the AI does not use Lethal Bombardment outside a City, However IF you Pre-place a Lethal Bombarding Unit on the Map with a Good Defending Unit in a Scenario, the AI will use the Lethal Bombarding Unit on the Map but generally the Bombarding Unit will go to a City and Bombard it every turn... also interesting is that the Attacked City does not tend to go after the Attacking Bombarding Unit.

If a Unit is Flagged to do multiple actions such as Irrigate, Clear Pollution and Offense and it is Pre-placed on the Map in a Scenario, the AI will use that Unit to do all actions the same as a Human can. This is because by default the AI did not build the Unit where it has to make a decision as to what action it can do and that is Not Multiple unless it is only Offense or Defense with Clear Pollution or Repair Roads.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  2. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Actually it won't just attack redlined units, as I've learned by experimenting with the Guardian Evil units in EFZI.

3. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Takhisis... the point was to answer about the Redlined units but yes indeed, they will attack All Units :)

4. Mulva

Mulva Chieftain

I don't get Civ Assist 2. I'm not sure when or how to run it. Do I load up Civ Assist 2 first, then load the game through that? Or load the game in C3C first?

Anyway when I try to load a save in Civ Assist 2 I get an error message that the app has encountered an exception and it wants me to e-mail the sav to them.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

5. Takhisis

Since you ask for ‘any ideas’ -even if I don't run CivAssist- have you checked the official thread?

6. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

I use CivAssist II with ALL my HOF attempts. (I.e. When I play Civ III).......Very useful utility program.

The Good News: I can open the program with or without Civ 3 Conquests being open.
    The Not-so-Good News: I only run Civ III and other utility programs on an "old" dedicated Windows XP computer. :)

7. Mulva

Mulva Chieftain

Thanks but I thought there was only a thread for updates, not an active one? Did I miss it?

Edit: Found it but there's no activity in that thread for a long time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  8. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

Does that happen with every new game?

I recently got this message about 300 turns into a run on @haluu's Tides Of Crimson mod, even though CAII had worked just fine up to that point. Now for every subsequent .sav file of that game that I've tried it with, it's thrown up that message.

However, it continued (and continues) to work with my other (epic) games-in-progress, including several recent games based on my tweak-mod of the Sengoku conquest, which were started after the ToC-error, i.e. apparently it wasn't e.g a Windoze update, or even simply the mod-aspect that was causing this problem, but something specific to that ToC game.

That said, another potential issue with CAII is the Windows version you're using. I know that CAII doesn't play well with Win10 for a lot of people, but I remembered seeing at least one CFC-user who claimed they'd got it working on that platform. So I just had a look back at the CAII thread, and pages 64 onwards have a lot of discussion about running CAII in Win10. For example, I found this on page 66:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civassist-ii.118540/page-66#post-15167404

I hope something there might ring bells with you. If not, then @ainwood might be the best person to discuss the problem with -- if he's still around (no activity since last July, which doesn't bode well...).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    haluu and Civinator like this.
  9. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Attached Files:

10. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

I gave up on CA2 a long time ago - once I got Win10 - & ended up uninstalling it. I want to give it another try, though. Is there a link to download it from? I no longer remember.

11. Samson

Samson Deity

It is here.

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  12. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Tried CA2 again ... no luck. It opens, but will not load a game. :(

Is this Win10, or C3C as opposed to Vanilla?

13. Samson

Samson Deity

Well, I can tell you that it fails for me on Win7 and C3C, with "Civ Assist has encountered an exception."

14. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

It worked for me with Vanilla on Win7 & Win8. I didn't get to C3C until Win10, when I couldn't get Vanilla to work anymore & got C3C from GOG. CA2 has not worked since Win10. I miss it, though; if I knew anything about programming, I would take a stab at fixing it, but the last time I took a programming class was 1st semester COBOL back in '89...

Samson likes this.
  15. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

OMG Cobol, was using that in the early 70's.

16. CKS

CKS Deity

CAII works okay for me with Conquests, so I'm pretty sure it is a Windows 10 thing. I think the latest version of Windows I used it with was Vista, though, so there may have been issues creeping in with Win7. Most of my experience with it was on Vista or XP. (I've used MapStat more than CAII, though, because my Civ computers have never been that speedy, and MapStat is rather less demanding than CAII.)

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  17. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Yep, they were still teaching (and using) it in the late 80s.

18. Takhisis

Come into my arms (prior disinfection and donning of PPE of course), my good man!

19. Mulva

Mulva Chieftain

This is exactly what happens to me.

I am running Win7 64 bit.

I found that you are supposed to start your game first, then when you launch CA2 it it supposed to recognize any version of Civ that's running. It doesn't. Then when I try to manually load a game, I get "CA2 encountered an exception." It doesn't matter whether I start C3C first or not, the same thing happens.

Oh well, unless someone has a good idea for making it work I shall play the way I've been playing for the past 20 years. :)

20. Takhisis

Play it the hardcore way, just savescum the crap out of it. :p

tjs282 likes this.