1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

...and IF you do add or change the City Names, Do NOT have any spaces between the Names on the List.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. RobS

RobS Chieftain

Thanks for your answers.
    Here's a question about a situation I've actually never experienced, at least not as the defender.
    Lets say I have a transport ship loaded with a couple of land units in a port city. There are no other land units in the port city defending it. Now lets say that port city is attacked. Will my units that are loaded aboard the transport automatically disembark and defend the city, or will the transport with the units on board simply be sunk? I think I know the answer, namely, that they will be sunk, but can someone affirm it?
    20 years of playing this game and I don't remember this ever happening to me as the defender. It would be pretty careless to do that anyway as a hooman against the AI.

Knightfall likes this.
  3. RobS

RobS Chieftain

Biq? Don't know what that is and don't see anything remotely looking like it.

Knightfall likes this.
  4. r16

r16 not deity

when in port units act as normal units , will take their turn in defending and providing support fire as usual . When ı invade another continent , where Als have spent 200 turns in peace between themselves but at war me , there will be 100s of units attacking the first town ı captured , meaning ı also need 100s . They will clutter the screen , so ı can leave many on board the ships , but ı would say fortifying units in the normal way makes them heal faster , loading a unit into ship must be the equal of pressing the spacebar , leaving the unit to slowly heal .

Knightfall and tjs282 like this.
  5. tjs282

tjs282 Stone(cold)fish

Embarked units will not necessarily be visible before you attack the town (e.g if there is a Worker hiding in the town, but he is not on a boat, then after all the non-embarked units are dead, the Worker will show as the top unit), but they will defend it [EDIT:] if they can!

i.e. all land-units with a D-value >0, even if on a boat in port, will defend against an attack on that town by enemy land-units.

Air-units on a docked Carrier (if set for Air Superiority at least 2 turns earlier, and with "Cancel Orders for friendly/enemy unit" turned off in the Preferences) may defend against Bomber-attacks (per the RNG) — but if the town is captured, they will be destroyed along with the Carrier.

The .biq is the ruleset file.

The one for Conquests/Complete is called (predictably enough) "Conquests.biq", and you can find it in the folder ../CivilizationIII/Conquests/

However, you can only see the details stored in a .biq file, by opening it in the/a Conquests Editor. The standard-issue Firaxis Editor*, which you can find in the same folder, is called Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe. When you start that program, go to the "Scenario" pull-down menu, choose "Custom Rules", and click through the "Changing the rules may break your game!" warning.

(Don't worry, the Editor automatically names your 'new' .biq as "Untitled.biq" so you can mess about with it to your heart's content, without any danger of over-writing anything vital).

The Untitled.biq -- initially -- contains all the standard Conquests rules and settings -- including the city-lists for each Civilization (Menu: Rules -> Edit -> Civilizations).

*There are also several homebrew Civ3-Editors available on Civfanatics. The most well-curated is probably the one written by @Quintillus, which allows additional functionality over the Firaxis Editor.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Knightfall and RobS like this.
  6. Vuldacon

As I remember, if a city is attacked with no one inside to defend, it will be captured. As for the Defending Units in the ship, they would then have to disembark to try to regain the city.
    In other words, the Fighting Units on the Ship are Not there to Defend so the City will be captured. This is because it is Not the Turn for the Defenders on the Ship... Good Luck Next Turn and lesson learned to not leave your Cities Undefended :)

But you said the Ship is in Port so in that case the Defenders in the Ship should Defend.

Knightfall likes this.
  7. RobS

RobS Chieftain

I think I'll have to test this sometime when the opportunity arises, and I remember to save the game and do it, because you seem to be contradicting yourself. First you say that fighting units on a ship will not defend and the city will be captured, then you say "the Ship is in Port so in that case the Defenders in the Ship should Defend".
    Should?

It seems to me that since all of a defender's ships (and planes) that might be in a (port) city are destroyed upon the city's capture, that any land units that may have been aboard transport ships would also be simply destroyed, although I don't think there would be a separate graphic for this, just the destruction of the transport. I'm guessing the same would happen with an aircraft carrier that was loaded with fighter planes.

Knightfall likes this.
  8. Vuldacon

RobS... Like you I have not encountered this exact situation and I have been surprised before with what can happen in the Civ Games.

My Guess is the City would be captured and the Ship Sunk, Defenders Dead. That said, I do not know the programming that was done regarding that situation with a City.

Knightfall likes this.
  9. tjs282

tjs282 Stone(cold)fish

I have seen the situation described above, and more than once.

I have attacked what appeared to be an undefended city (or only a Worker visible), and found my units going up against AI-Knights or -Cavs that were — presumably — on AI-boats that hadn't left port yet (for whatever reason).

IIRC, I might even have posted such a situtation in the "Interesting Screenshots" thread at one point, but if so it would likely have been some years back now...

*Rummages*

Ah yes, here it is...

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/interesting-screenshots.192414/page-209#post-13819480

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    jarred! and Knightfall like this.
  10. Vuldacon

tjs282... Good to know. I suspected the AI would Defend regardless of being in a Ship or Transport but I personally think the City and Ship full of Units should be Captured/Destroyed :devil:

Knightfall and tjs282 like this.
  11. r16

r16 not deity

must be something that wrecks the land transport idea . Get an Ent , load two hobbits in it , let it move . An orc attacks on the way , ent crushes the orc , and yes , you will have to load the hobbits back .

as a troll who has a terribly boring life , ı invade a city , the Al attacks me , only "seeing" my 6-1-1 composite bowman ... Here comes a stack of 10 warriors and above and uh , suddenly Balrog appears , at 25-20-1 ... At each and every game ı play , ı can see that ... And happens to the Al , ı kill everyone , and the top graphic is a ship and ı still can't occupy it . lf ı can't kill the ship's load , the ship graphic will still remain , as if defending the town . Might have changed between Vanilla and Conquests , but ı would imagine it should be happening to everyone ?

Knightfall likes this.
  12. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Happens all the time, had several today. Ship graphic, after an attack and I do not capture the town. I then know the ship has unit(s), that I have to kill.

Knightfall likes this.