1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

If you're talking about getting the "Not enough citizens to complete this build!" pop-up when completing a Settler (or Worker), then choosing "Abandon city" will destroy the town, and give you a Settler (or Worker).

If you right-click on a town and then choose "Abandon city", you're left with nothing but ruins. So I generally don't do that!

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  2. r16

r16 not deity

in LotM , Hobbits are definitely are agricultural . Maybe Northmen , maybe Rohan as well . Their settlers would always cost 3 citizens , in contrast to early standart of two . Which ends in the second era as a tech upgrades the settler unit to one with same shields/3 citizens . A design choice to delay agricultural civs from taking over the map , possibly . (Orcs are definitely handicapped if they don't have stone resource for autoproduced trolls ...) Can't exactly tell ... In almost 10 years ı possibly made to win or loss situation with only half of the 14 civs available . Isengard seems so perfect for my preferences . Micromanage a few cities to get the wonders and tech lead and build a few stacks of doom .

3. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn King

Can some please list all the different diplomatic states you can be in with another nation?

4. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Emperor

This article talks about AI attitudes towards you https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ai-attitude.44999/

In terms of states, I can think of 3: War, Peace, "Not met yet". While at peace, you might be able to also negotiate various agreements to trade resources, techs, gold, open borders (Right of Passage) and Military Alliances.

5. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn King

That is very helpful, thank you. I am going to use this in my ruleset for my Never Ending Story Game here on CFC :)

6. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Aren't things like "Right of Passage", "Mutual Protection Pact", "Trade Embargo" also to be considered as a kind of "diplomatic state"?

7. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Emperor

That's a fair question; different ways to use similar words in English. I believe that each of those agreements are variants on the state "Peace".

Other people could propose a set of state variables for "War", "War because of Alliance", "Peace with no agreements", "Peace with per turn trade", "Peace with RoP", "Peace with MPP", and others.

I don't know how the game reflects this in its code. Perhaps that's the authoritative list.

8. Samson

Samson Deity

There is also the crucial "Peace with a per turn trade for a one off trade", that means if you make war your rep gets trashed.

9. r16

r16 not deity

ı make a deal . To import a resource in return for a tech . If the deal is broken , who is fault it is ? If the Al declares war on me ? If a pirate ship cuts the connection ?

the same situation but am paying money . In the one above , ı had completed my obligation with giving a tech . If the same thing happens , but ı am not paying any money ?

the same situation of sorts . This time we have made an alliance and Al breaks it ... Do ı get any blame ?

10. Samson

Samson Deity

It has been a while since I was sure of the answers, but IIRC:
    If you gave the tech and received the resource you do not loose your rep. I THINK the AI does in either case, but they always seem to be able to keep up so I am not 100% it actually applies to them.
    It you give gold lump sum and there are no per turn deals this does not apply. If you are paying GPT for a tech then it does. If the AI declares war you are OK, it is the AI's fault (so you can abuse the "get out of my territory or declare war"). Anything else means you lose your rep, and cannot make GPT for tech trades (unless the AI you want to trade with is at war with the one you broke a deal with).
    If the AI declares peace you are OK. If the alliance is broken by either you or the AI killing the target then I think you loose your rep.

11. r16

r16 not deity

thanks for the answer . That Al killing a common enemy to hurt me is especially a new thing to learn . Considering ı tend to just "assign" the destruction [of the last remaining enemy town on the other side of the world] to Allies !

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

In the game which I finished last night there was the tiny one-tile island civ of India which had such a bad relationship with France and me (Korea) -who had been forced to jointly conquer their dozen-city mainland- that they kept dragging everyone into wars (they were unconquerable because everybody was going for the spaceship victory and there were five scientific civs so nobody had developed amphibious warfare). It worked out for me because the Greeks beat me to building the United Nations but were at war with at least two nations at any one time, but still, dang were those Indians annoying.

13. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

If the AI-Leader ends your Alliance by eliminating the mutual foe, while you are still paying per-turn for an Alliance that has not yet run the full 20 turns, then surely that counts as them ending the deal? If so, your rep should stay intact.

Conversely, if it's one of your units which delivers the coup de grace (before the 20 turns is up), then that definitely counts as you breaking your MA, so your rep would be toast. Whether that still applies if the AI allows the MA to run beyond the 20 turns, I'm not sure — because I usually have "Always renegotiate deals" switched on — but I would guess not.

I'm sure @justanick will know for sure, though... ;)

14. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

tl;dr Korea didn't have Coal and France didn't have Dyes. The intervening lands which India held had both, and also India was superpower Persia's client/buffer state. All that was needed was to, as usual, just replace all the improductive swamps with barricaded forestlands to forestall Persian invasions. The danged Xerxes deserved it, because he could have built not one but two isthmus cities and screwed both locations.

15. justanick

justanick Emperor

Eliminating the target of a military alliance should not count as breaking a treaty. It is the opposite: Fullfilling the treaty:

The link within the quote should proove useful.

tjs282, Samson and Knightfall like this.
  16. r16

r16 not deity

thanks , a link to a thread to be downloaded on the first webcafe day .

Knightfall likes this.
  17. Sarin

Sarin Emperor

How much room does full army (with Pentagon) take on a transport?

Knightfall likes this.
  18. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn King

Yes. I meant for these also.

Knightfall likes this.
  19. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

An army takes one spot for each unit in the army and one foe the army itself. So if you want to transport a full army on a galleon, put two units in the army, ship it to the destination and add the other two units when it gets there.

20. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Or just upgrade to Transports with a capacity of 6. Mwahahaha!

tjs282, Knightfall and vorlon_mi like this.