1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Shooting from the lip....

Unit support costs are costing you 28gpt - I'm guessing that you have two defenders in each town; that is completely unnecessary in towns that are not vulnerable to the AI, ie those deep within your territory. Also, your towns are too small - once you get them above size six, they will give you three free unit support, further reducing your expenses.

Berlin and Hamburg would fare better building an aquaduct; Konigsberg and Leipzig are building colesseums, probably the least useful of any building.

2. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

*cough* Coastal fortresses *cough*

At least Colosseums give happiness (which you can do better with by bumping up the lux rate) and culture. The only time I build the Colosseum now is when I need a culture bump in that city.

Looks like a fairly loose city placement too. Probably squeeze some more towns in there.

3. Kubko

Kubko Chieftain

yeah the game builds buildings/units without asking me anything lol, how do i turn that off?

4. Nergal

Nergal Prince

In preferences there is an option to always build last unit and also wait at end of turn.

5. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

Go to preferences. Check the box that says something like 'always ask new build'

You might find a few options of interest there actually

6. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

As far as I'm aware there's no way of telling, except as you've observed the units with fewest remaining moves seem to be at the top of the list.

It's the same when loading units into a stack of boats...when the dialogue box pops up asking which boat to load, I always pick the bottom one because if you pick the top one they'll load onto the boats that have already moved. The boat problem can be overcome by renaming your boats, I suppose you could do that for bombers but you'd still have to manually keep track of the ones you've used.

7. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

@Darski, My routine is right click fortify all wake all wait wait wait...etc. I wonder when the patch is coming?

8. darski

darski Regent in Training

Well at least I feel better knowing that I am not missing something. Thanks guys as always.

9. hossam

hossam Deity

is the paratrooper(or modern paratrooper) of any value, or is a completely nerfed unit? any good tips to put them to good use?

10. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Can't thing of any real good reason.

11. Nergal

Nergal Prince

Never used paratroopers, I've used marines in 2 or 3 games because I had no choice.

12. Oxus

Oxus Explorer

Hello, dudes. I'm looking for some good mod with WWII, but I don't want HUGE map with already ready scenario. I want to play some random map when you just start with one settler. ^^ .

I"m searching from few days and I can't find it, please HELP! ^^

13. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

There's not a scenario like that that I'm aware of.

I'm back Civ3 fans!

14. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

Do you mean that you want a random-map scenario with early Modern Age (or late Industrial Age) units?

15. Arexander

Arexander Trucker

Arexander appears from no where.

Probably some WWII mod made in here but without custom map. I don't know if there are any of those and I don't have time to search right now.

Arexander vanishes into a cloud of dust.

(This means that I was just taking a quick peek at CFC in the middle of our move to the new house. I still don't have internet connection there :sad: )

16. Oxus

Oxus Explorer

Yep, but something better developed then the standard CIV III Industrial Age - with more unique units for every nation.

17. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

There is a Modern era start scenario or mod. I think it might be in DL section.

18. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

There's a map that comes with Conquests that has you start with all the techs, but I'd guess that's not what you're thinking of.

19. Oxus

Oxus Explorer

Yep.

20. Evil_Abe

Evil_Abe Warlord

Why in some games, when I rain down firey radiation death on my enemies the entire world declares war on me, but in other games I can use 20 nukes and still be friends with every one?