1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Padma, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. general_kill

general_kill Deity

How do u place cities on maps in the map editor? I tried everything but i cant find an option in the map editor that says anything about placing a city!

2. general_kill

general_kill Deity

And also, how do u place units?

3. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Well first you have to set at least 1 active player. Then 3 or so more options will come up, including the ones you specified :)

4. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

To set the active player, hit the space bar and choose from the list. :)

5. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Invisibility is just that - the unit cannot be seen by an enemy civ. It works both ways - you can't see their invisible unit.

There are two ways to tell if the AI has invisibile units. Like a submarine, you stumble into one. I'm thinking, but not sure, that if 'Hidden Nationality' is turned on, you just start attacking them. Otherwise you get a pop-up asking if you really want to go to war with this civ. Be advised - if you do, it's considered a sneak attack.

The other way is to wait for one of the AI's Invisible units to attack one of your units/cities.

6. Rocinante

Rocinante King

where can I find out more about the 'Jason score'?

7. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy

8. viper275

viper275 Playing Civ4

Okay, I load up the game and double-click New Game. Nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. Then I double-click Quick Start. Nothing! So I can still play the scenarios here and that stuff, and yes, that is what I'll do, but I still want to play the New Game thing.

I can't open up the editor and make a random map and everything then play that because whenever I open up the editor or any of my files in the editor, a pop-up says, "Invalid Civ3 Scenario file." Then I get a blank map that will not work if you play it (on my current scenarios, you can play them, but if you edit them you get that pop-up and then a blank map, but you can play it even after that.) Any help in solving either the editor problem or the New Game problem (or both!) would be appreciated.

9. Serpico

Serpico Hikikomori

My guess would be something went wrong during installation... have you tried re-installing the game and installing the latest patches?

10. viper275

viper275 Playing Civ4

I installed the game a long time ago (3/4/02, according to my computer) and I did not have any of these problems until I downloaded the 1.29f patch from civfanatics, and the New Game one happened this morning (I downloaded the 1.29f patch a couple weeks ago, I think.)

11. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Could it be that you might have downloaded the wrong patch? There are specific patches for the different versions, Ie N.American edition, or French edition etc.

You may only have encountered this now because you have not started a new game since you installed the patch.

If this is not the case, just do a fresh install (like Serpico said). That fixed my problems :)

12. viper275

viper275 Playing Civ4

I downloaded the N. American one version 1.29f and the game originally was N. American. I was able to make other New Games before this problem and after the patch (like my first Monarch game.) I guess I'll do a fresh install... but then should I re-install patch 1.29f? My version when I bought it was very old, 1.10 I think.

13. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

And certain ships and Conquests special units can detect invisible units within their normal line of sight, correct? It seems to me that if you stumble onto a submarine you had not detected, it should get the first shot!

So what is the infamous sub bug?

14. Sparrow3

Sparrow3 Prince

Viper:
    I suggest uninstalling everything. Then reinstalling the original Civ3. Make sure it is working, as it should. Make a back up copy of the Civilization III folder (as you should have done the first time). Then installing patch v1.29f.

Question: Do you have only vanilla Civ3 or do you have PTW & C3C also?

15. Sparrow3

Sparrow3 Prince

a4phantom:
    So what is the infamous sub bug?
    I encountered this Bug a few days ago. A caravel of my allies the Hittites encountered one of my subs off the coast of our enemy(Egypt). The Hittites immediately declared war on me. Our Mpp and ROP were canceled and they attacked my sub. That is the sub bug as I understand it.

16. viper275

viper275 Playing Civ4

Vanilla Civ3 with no PTW or C3C. BTW, I like the 1.29f patch, it just caused me a couple problems, so I'm saying that if I re-downloaded it, could these problems come back to haunt me (I'd normally just try it, but the connection is bad and the download for that patch takes about an hour.)

17. Sparrow3

Sparrow3 Prince

Viper:
    I would make the back up and repatch with what I had now. That's the only way to know if the patch is corrupted.

BTW: If you had a bad line when you downloaded the last time, The patch may well be corrupted.

18. Darzee

Darzee Chieftain

I was just wondering if you more experienced players could give me some tips on commerical problems (as in, I don't make enough money) that I run into in the late ancient age. I find that in the early game I can do ok while having the science slider at 70-90% but not too long after that I get the nifty little "You're treasury is running dangerous..." message and am forced to get it down to about 60% and then, not too long after that I notice that I'm losing up to 4 gold per turn and (as I never really have a chance to accumulate much wealth) my treasury runs quite low again (maybe around 30-50).

I am currently playing on Chieftan and can dominate pretty easily but I want to win one more game before I move up. My play habits include getting nearly every improvement in every city I make (I almost always start a barracks going right after city creation then to granary, temple, ect.. unless units are needed for war). I read an article that adviced me not to get wonders so I don't at the current difficulty.

Any tips on getting myself more money or just my gameplay in general? And any articles that might help me out (shorter please!) would be great too. Thanks!

19. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Well if you do run out of money on Chieftan, nothing happens. So if you just want to continue playing at that level, you'll have no problems :D

To avoid money issues, I don't build many city improvements. I'll build temples/marketplaces/Cathedrals in the bigger cities, but other than that, all I have are Barracks'.

I'd need to see a save of yours before I could comment on how to change how ye play...

20. Darzee

Darzee Chieftain

Could you explain to me exactly what a save is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.