Quick Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's when you save your game :)
Ie, when you want to stop playing, you'll save your game, and quit. You will then load your saved game when you want to start playing it again.

I was advising that you should attatch one of your saved games to the post, and then I could download it and give you some pointers :)

Ok, heres a save of my most recent game. I'm playing as the Ottomans and set everything to random as far as terrain/landmasses go and checked no barbarians. It's currently 430 A.D. The island that I'm on right now was shared by the Persians earlier but, using a lot of archers, I took them out fairly easily fairly early. I rushed to get Republic so I could ease my money troubles. Give me any advice you can think of!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/darzeesave.SAV

Two questions:
1. I added the keepres 1 line to my ini file so that the correct screen resolution would be used in the game. It worked for the map, but whenever I go to the advisor screen et al, advisors don't take up the whole screen -- the box is only about a third of the size of the screen. Is there a way around this, or is that just how the keepres command works?

edit: It does the same thing when I go to a city view -- it takes up the middle third of the screen. Ditto for all the end screens -- best city, etc.

2. I've never actually achieved a conquest victory (being more of a builder), but I wanted to see the victory scene, so I just played a tiny map, one opponent, etc. I won by eliminating the opponent, but there was no victory scene -- it went straight to the histograph. Again, is this normal?

Originally posted by wildWolverine
2. I've never actually achieved a conquest victory (being more of a builder), but I wanted to see the victory scene, so I just played a tiny map, one opponent, etc. I won by eliminating the opponent, but there was no victory scene -- it went straight to the histograph. Again, is this normal?
Only the Space Race Victory has a nice movie, if that's what you mean. All other victory options haven't.

Originally posted by wildWolverine
Two questions:
1. I added the keepres 1 line to my ini file so that the correct screen resolution would be used in the game. It worked for the map, but whenever I go to the advisor screen et al, advisors don't take up the whole screen -- the box is only about a third of the size of the screen. Is there a way around this, or is that just how the keepres command works?

edit: It does the same thing when I go to a city view -- it takes up the middle third of the screen. Ditto for all the end screens -- best city, etc.

that's normal w.w. those screens are pre-drawn at that resolution, so that's as good as it gets. but the main play screen is great with the higher res, no? :goodjob:

Originally posted by Darzee
Ok, heres a save of my most recent game. I'm playing as the Ottomans and set everything to random as far as terrain/landmasses go and checked no barbarians. It's currently 430 A.D. The island that I'm on right now was shared by the Persians earlier but, using a lot of archers, I took them out fairly easily fairly early. I rushed to get Republic so I could ease my money troubles. Give me any advice you can think of!

darzee, i think you may want to specify which civ (vanilla/ptw/c3c) + patch version you are playing for those who would assist you with your ottoman game...

maybe you would appreciate bamspeedy's article about trading- it addresses money insofar as you can save $ by not having to pay to research as much, and you can make $ by selling your techs and luxuries/resources to your opponents:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24553
there are many other great articles in the 'civ3'>'civ3 strategy and tips' forum, too.

my two cents on building improvements in all of your cities: understand that most city improvements cost you maintence in gold per turn, so if you have corrupt cities that are far from your capitol, they will not give you much income to your treasury or beakers for science; if you build marketplaces/libraries in these cities, you won't gain very much b/c these improvements merely increase the city's contribution by 50%, but cost you gold every turn just as overhead expense. so you could actually be hindering your economy by getting out of control with buildings :( .

Right Darzee, you're about to get one of my longeer posts :)

I've had a look at your save, and you aren't doing nearly as badly as you described. You are the largest Civ (by land area), you have the largest population in the world, best income, productivity, culture etc. You also are the most advanced Civ technologically.
If you want to go for a builder-type victory, there's not much you should change :)

However, there are quite alot of things as a rule of thumb that I would not do, which you currently are.
The most prominent one, is leaving your Border cities completely undefended. I can only see 2 which are, and they only have a warrior in each. If you want to progess up the levels, this is one thing you will want to change. I'm surprised the AI hasn't attacked you yet (Unless that ruin next to Adyin was yours?) On the higher levels, the AI has a strong tendancy to sneak attack you, alot of the time without any logical reason. But leaving your cities like they are would give them a reason.
If in a republic (like you are), you have gathered the right principal of not having too many units. Although you seem to have taken this to another level ;) You don't have to defend your inner cities, but the ones which are bordering with other Civilisations definately need to be defended by at least one good defensive unit -- maybe 2 or even 3, if that city is in danger of culturally flipping or being attacked. Then again, if the city is in danger of flipping you should really have more than 3 units inside it...

At this late stage in the game, your chances of winning a victory by culture are limited. Even though you are the cultural super-power, you will have no where near enough to get a victory before 2050 AD. Hence, I see no point in you building all the wonders. They may seem nice, but they aren't worth it in comparison to how you could use those shields otherwise -- if not building the wonders. You could build yourself an army instead, and conquer the world! :D

Regarding choices of improvements that you have built. The most noticeable mistake, is that you have a barracks in every city. Ok, this might be acceptable if you were a warmongerer, and building an army, but... well... you aren't. This is immediately 10gpt down the drain, every turn, for a feature that you don't use.
You placement of courthouses also seems quite odd. Unless you have corruption in your cities, there is no point trying to lower it. I went around selling all of the courthouses in your cities, and there was almost no corruption in all of them. So another note, don't build courthouses unless you really need them :) You again could have spent this time building an army or whatever.

As for the rest of your infrastructure, it looks quite good for a builder type game. Although there really is no point building wealth. Stop it! ;)

Note: Some of my advice so far has kinda been geared towards a warmongering type game, this is not intentional. But it is the quickest, and highest scoring way to win. If you were to be a warmongerer btw, it would be more suitable to be in a Monarchy (but I think you know that anyways)

Moving onto trade. You can't trade with anyone! You should really establish a road-route to your neighbours, and exchange resources with them. This way your people will be kept happy, and you won't even need to build colluseums etc. You could then spend that time building an army. It also improves their attitude towards you, so you are more likely to win a diplomatic victory then.

My 2nd last point, you should aim to expand more vigirously. It took you Just over 4000 years to get a fairly small empire -- although it is large in comparison to the AI's. You should read some of the articles in the war academy to help you with early expansion, as you will notice the AI improve alot in this section as you go furthur up in difficulty. You would also benefit from building your cities closer together (if going for a war-type victory)

Last, but not least, you are easily the most powerful nation. All of the Civs around you are weaklings. If you turned your eye towards building an army (in all cities) for ~20 turns or so, you could probably conquer the world! Take heed ;)

There's something else that I can't think of right now, but I hope all that helps :) Take it as constructive critiscism.

Edit: Ahh, workers! 7 is simply not enough. For an empire that size, being industrious, you probably want ~15, and when you have improved everything, you can simply build them into your cities (or wait for RailRoads to come along)

Another thing, that map looks a bit nasty with all the mountains, and it’s kinda annoying how you can’t go around the world horizontally if you know what I mean. This would hinder your progress in a Conquest/Domination win. You should allow X-Wrapping.

For anyone else reading, the game is C3C, not sure what version, but it works with 1.12b

Originally posted by Sparrow3
BTW: If you had a bad line when you downloaded the last time, The patch may well be corrupted.

I don't think that would mean anything (dialup connection, it's around 2.3k.) But I'll try it, thanks Sparrow.

UPDATE: Uninstalled Civ3, but then when I was re-installing it and it was about 3/4 done, I got an error on something but I think it was something like a file that was twice installed or something, but then it stopped installing so I closed out of it. Then I tried to un-install then re-install. Of course, it un-installed then, but after that it doesn't let me re-install. What I'm thinking about doing is deleting the entire Civ3 folder and then follow these steps (I got that page from a link here and since I don't have Conquests, it would be the same for the Civ3 folder, right?) Also, when I back up the files when I download 1.29f, should I back up Civ3Edit, or are all of the important parts of it in the Civ3 folder I'm backing up?

Curious: in the civlopedia, why do units like Crusaders and ancient cavalry have shield costs? I usually don't build those wonders, but I did a while back, and I could have sworn my cities were busy building something else while they churned out the "free"(?) units.

So that when you disband them in a city, they will be able to convert into a form of hurried production.

Edit: For clarity, they don't cost you anyhting to build them, and you can build others things whilst they are being produced.

And to calculate the cost in gold when you want to upgrade them.

(Or isn't it possible to upgrade those automatically generated units? For instance medieval cavalry to knights? Don't know for sure.)

Those particular units don't upgrade. However, I'm sure you're correct, if you had a mod that created a unit every x turns that did upgrade.

If I mod Ancient Cavalry to upgrade to Knight, will the SoZ still produce Ancient Cavalry after the discovery of Feudalism, or will it produce Knights?

I wouldn't do that.

Make Military Tradition a required tech, and have the SoZ stop producing AC with it. Then you can upgrade your AC directly to Knights. Kinda makes more sense, to me at least, and keeps the game flowing. It would make some pretty cheap Calvary, tho. Perhaps upgrading to knights first would make more sense.

In answer to your question tho, I'm not sure. One would expect it to still make the AC, but if the city that has SoZ has a barracks, you could upgrade them immediatly.

Originally posted by viper275
UPDATE: Uninstalled Civ3, but then when I was re-installing it and it was about 3/4 done, I got an error on something but I think it was something like a file that was twice installed or something, but then it stopped installing so I closed out of it. Then I tried to un-install then re-install. Of course, it un-installed then, but after that it doesn't let me re-install. What I'm thinking about doing is deleting the entire Civ3 folder and then follow these steps (I got that page from a link here and since I don't have Conquests, it would be the same for the Civ3 folder, right?) Also, when I back up the files when I download 1.29f, should I back up Civ3Edit, or are all of the important parts of it in the Civ3 folder I'm backing up?
I think you are on the right track. It might be better to post in the Link you quoted above; however. Also, here is a couple more that you might find interesring:

Link #1

Link #2

These are all from the technical support forum.

I guess if you want to be totally complete you want to note that it upgrades from a swordsman.

However, be VERY careful when implementing this in the editor...the upgrade chains are very complicated in the editor, since they incorporate UUs. Follow the upgrade chain, see what the swordsman is listed as upgraduing to (it might be legion or immortal), see what that is listed as upgrading to etc until you have the unit that does not upgrade...you need to have that upgrade to medieval infantry.

I know that sounds complicated but that's the way the editor is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom