Quick Modding Questions Thread

Are you modding BTS or some other mod? Many mods have civic buildings (building is only active with the specified civics).
Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn 2 and C2C for example has this feature (I think KMOD too. I heard many advising to mod KMOD instead of BTS)

BTW I also have a modmod compilation for AND2 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/zns-addons.523763/page-24) and one of them is about civics.
You can try it for more ideas and I also would like to see yours :)

I'm modding Realism Invictus, but I'm not part of their team. It's just for fun right now as I'm more or less a total learner to modding. My intention is to rework all the civic choices. Now you mention it, it might be worth creating a new civic building, but I really like the idea of certain civics amending the output of buildings that are available throughout the game regardless of the civic. I'll take a look at your modmod but I wouldn't currently know where to start with adding your modmod to RI. But I might be able to cut & paste xml lines for shortcuts! Thanks. You're more than welcome to have a look at the work I do once it's complete (I'll try and remember once it's done and let you know) but it's slow going and depending on the success/failure, might not be completed at all! :crazyeye:

So for example:
<TerrainBooleans> grass
and
<FeatureBooleans> jungle
and <FeatureTerrainBooleans> (empty)
allows it on either grass OR jungle but NOT on grass with jungle, right?

So the relation is:
[ <TerrainBooleans> OR <FeatureBooleans> ] AND FeatureTerrainBooleans>, right?

as my understanding goes that would allow on grass jungle, feature terrains would allow only on grassjungle not plains jungle or flat grass without the first or second

BUT I AM NOT 100% as i have never had to use them myself this is just according to the wikimod which isnt very detailed on the subject

i would suggest a trial and error in a backedup test version of the mod.

if i am incorrect anyone who is for sure 100% please correct or verify this

Last edited:
I'm modding Realism Invictus, but I'm not part of their team. It's just for fun right now as I'm more or less a total learner to modding. My intention is to rework all the civic choices. Now you mention it, it might be worth creating a new civic building, but I really like the idea of certain civics amending the output of buildings that are available throughout the game regardless of the civic. I'll take a look at your modmod but I wouldn't currently know where to start with adding your modmod to RI. But I might be able to cut & paste xml lines for shortcuts! Thanks. You're more than welcome to have a look at the work I do once it's complete (I'll try and remember once it's done and let you know) but it's slow going and depending on the success/failure, might not be completed at all! :crazyeye:
Oh, you cannot add my modmod to RI, it's for AND2 only (AND team has added xml codes that don't work with other mods).
My modmod has about 10 civic categories.
You may also want to take a look at other mods. While I was working on mine I installed any mod available just to gather ideas - and icons and other art :)

Oh, you cannot add my modmod to RI, it's for AND2 only (AND team has added xml codes that don't work with other mods).
My modmod has about 10 civic categories.
You may also want to take a look at other mods. While I was working on mine I installed any mod available just to gather ideas - and icons and other art :)

Fair enough, thanks for the help. :)

Hey guys, I just got the makefile for the dll of the MoM-Mod running with nmake. But afterwards if I start civ4, all buttons are missing in-game, as well as research sliders etc.. Unfortunately in the subforum seems to be nobody left who can compile dlls, so does anyone here have an idea what might have went wrong? I get the message "Bug Core - mod PLE not initialized ; removing", but I don't quite know what to make of this. If this little information isn't enough, I can post the entire makefile, but I first wanted to ask whether this might be something obvious & common before clogging up this thread.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just got the makefile for the dll of the MoM-Mod running with nmake. But afterwards if I start civ4, all buttons are missing in-game, as well as research sliders etc.. Unfortunately in the subforum seems to be nobody left who can compile dlls, so does anyone here have an idea what might have went wrong? I get the message "Bug Core - mod PLE not initialized ; removing", but I don't quite know what to make of this. If this little information isn't enough, I can post the entire makefile, but I first wanted to ask whether this might be something obvious & common before clogging up this thread.
Did you include the all BUG stuff in the makefile for your compile?

If you are sure you got the dll compiled right, then perhaps it is something in the Python. Missing buttons and sliders are often an indicator of a problem in the Python and not the dll. There is also some PLE stuff in the Python.

It depends on where that message is displayed.

Did you include the all BUG stuff in the makefile for your compile?

If you are sure you got the dll compiled right, then perhaps it is something in the Python. Missing buttons and sliders are often an indicator of a problem in the Python and not the dll. There is also some PLE stuff in the Python.

It depends on where that message is displayed.

To be honest, I only used the makefile that was already in the sources and made sure I had all the relevant libraries in the right places. I didn't do anything about the rest of the makefile because it was specified inside that I shouldn't need to do that. However, I checked the log and at least as far as I see it included all files that were in the sources folder.

If it was because of the python, shouldn't it already make problems before? It only happens if I use my own compiled DLL instead of the one that was provided with the mod.

The message was displayed on starting a round with the dll in the message line where the ingame messages are also shown, like "city x is celebrating". The game itself starts just fine, the civpedia works, choosing options works, it's only when actually playing that things aren't shown.

Even when I make a debug version and start a game, it only shows some false asserts that didn't seem directly relevant and which shouldn't be the culprit since I didn't do anything about the c++ code itself, I only want to compile it for now.

Has anyone ever found out what the iTotalCultureRatio XML tag in CIV4VictoryInfo is for?

Does anyone have experience adding more culture levels? I tried it in my Enhanced Culture mod, adding some levels in between the existing ones as well as adding another one after Legendary, and I suspect it might be related to a somewhat random crash I experience when capturing a city. Specifically, the game tells me that an Assert failed in CvGlobals.cpp Line 2246 Expression eCultureLevelNum > -1. If I understand the code correctly, the game is trying to make sure that eCultureLevelNum is bigger than -1, apparently finds that it isn't, and hence crashes the game. I am not really sure how the game comes to that conclusion as the city I am capturing has like five culture levels. I have been trying to reproduce the crash by recreating similar circumstances, but oddly enough I couldn't. :confused: It only seems to happen in that specific game. Capturing the city results in this error, capturing another city results in it, skipping the turn and doing nothing results in it (I suspect because another civ conquers a city in the interim), and founding a city does too. However I didn't have this crash before that specific turn and am well in the ADs, having settled like a dozen cities and conquered one.previously.

Edit: Giving the independent city that would have been captured by an AI more defenders to prevent it from falling allows me to proceed to the next turn. Then founding a city and conquering some random other city both work fine, but I still get the same crash when trying to capture the original city. This is so confusing.

Last edited:
Cold someone please enlighten me about UnitAI in unit xml file?

DefaultUnitAI - ok I get this one its simple.
UnitAI and NotUnitAI - when does AI chooses to switch and pick some other function? my in game testing shows that AI keeps sticking to DefaultUnitAI only and doesn't adapt.

Also, is there a full description on what each AIUnit script does in detail, like AI_Reserve, AI_Counter etc?

Thank You!

is there a cityplotlsystem tutorial anywhere? I've just got to the point where I want to fiddle around with it

Quick question. What exactly does the iFlavor value when adding Flavors to a Leader do? I noticed that most of them are either 5 or 2.

techchooser or something in Screens Folder. Already uninstalled.

thanks! I will look into it.
Related question - I want certain tech to give negative happiness and/or negative health, however the game still shows positive icons for those, because I guess negative icons were not planned.
Is there a way for me to assign a different icon when effect is negative?

thank you!

thanks! i will try to work with that.

One more question. let suppose i want to give penalties at the beginning of each era.
For example when industrial era starts, the player gets -1 health and -1 happiness in each city.
I understand I could do this via Python. Could you provide any hints?

thank you!

Last edited:
thanks! i will try to work with that.

One more question. let suppose i want to give penalties at the beginning of each era.
For example when industrial era starts, the player gets -1 health and -1 happiness in each city.
I understand I could do this via Python. Could you provide any hints?

thank you!
Isn't that also possible through the xml?

Possible but not recommended. Might as well just attach to a particular tech via xml.

Top Bottom